OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 3-9x42 vs Vortex 2.5-10x44

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhyno37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 3-9x42 vs Vortex 2.5-10x44
    Posted: March/20/2012 at 13:58
I'm getting a Steven's 200 in .223 to start a rifle build, and obviously need to put some glass on it. I shoot anywhere from 100yds to 300yds, sometimes even 500yds if able. After reading reviews, and with a limit of $600, I've narrowed it down to these 2 variable power scopes and a fixed power. Looking for an input on these 3 scopes, I am not too knowledgeable when it comes to optics.

The SS 6x42 would obviously be my cheapest option, but I figure a variable scope would be better for different ranges. Any and all help is appreciated!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2012 at 14:20
SS 3-9 and don't look back. probably my favorite scope I've ever owned. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2012 at 14:39
3-9 SS.

Great scope for the money.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Hokie1850 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hokie1850 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 06:59
I can't say enough good things about the SS 3-9.  Being a FFP design so at the low end of magnification the reticle resembles a standard duplex.  At the high end - a mil dot.  No parallax adjustment, robust design, excellent quality...there isn't much to say other than "go get one!"

Cool

Here's mine atop the AR10:

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 07:56
SS
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 10:42
Another vote for the SS!  If you don't mind getting the older Mil-Dot model with the same matching reticle and turrets, you'll find a couple of those for $499 right now on the Sample List.

To echo what's been said above, you will be hard pressed to find a better scope for the money backed by a great lifetime warranty.  Plenty of scope for the ranges you plan on shooting.

Good luck with your build and welcome to Optics Talk.  Stick around here and enjoy the forum - great place, great people, and lots of great info!

By the way, don't overlook a quality base and set of rings for your build.
6.5x47 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 17:31
You guys may disagree, but having already owned a 33 3-9, I would look elsewhere.  For that power range, I wouldn't mind giving the vortex pst or vx-r patrol a try.  Having said that I have no experience with either the pst or vx-r.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 18:10
Originally posted by 6.5x47 6.5x47 wrote:

You guys may disagree, but having already owned a 33 3-9, I would look elsewhere.

????
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 18:10

You guys may disagree, but having already owned a 33 3-9, I would look elsewhere.  For that power range, I wouldn't mind giving the vortex pst or vx-r patrol a try.  Having said that I have no experience with either the pst or vx-r.
 What was your problem with the SS?
6.5x47 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 19:21
A few observations of my ss 3-9 after shooting it for a few years. 

They completely missed the boat on the magnification ring.  Why would you make it, the exact same size as the eyepiece, and then later on design a switchview?  This seems to be a trend even with the 5-20, 1-4, 1-6 too.  Also my mag ring froze up to the point you could not turn it without two hands on either the scope or the rifle and scope.  Also, I feel the scope is too large, and would have been better sized in the 11-12 inch range.  Focus was a constant issue, as mine simply would not hold focus over a range session.  Both the elevation and windage knob indicator rings came loose after a few range trips, and I ended up supergluing them back down.  The rings I'm talking about are the ones that have the dash to line up your zero.

I will say this, the scope never failed a box test.  That is always a good sign.  SWFA did end up replacing the scope for these issues, but even the new scope didn't have a smooth mag ring adjustment. 

Sorry about the whole 33 ss post above.Loco  I can't seem to edit that out.  And finally some proof that I did actually own and use this scope.
6.5x47 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2012 at 19:24
Sorry about the sausage in the above post.  It's the only pic of my old ss, that I had handy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 06:33
Your experience with the 3-9x SS is completely, 180 degrees, opposite of mine....other than the box test.
I couldn't be happier with mine. I don't need a Switch View for my power ring, as it moves smoothly.    
Swamptoplains View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swamptoplains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 08:08
Mmmmmm sausage!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 10:20
6.5 yours is actually the first complaint I have ever heard of a 3-9 SS having anything wrong with it. 
6.5x47 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 13:21
Maybe I received a rare lemon scope, but surely we can all agree that mag ring design is flawed at best. And maybe, just maybe, the scope is to large for a simple 3-9.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 14:10

Maybe I received a rare lemon scope, but surely we can all agree that mag ring design is flawed at best. And maybe, just maybe, the scope is to large for a simple 3-9.

Uh....nope. I'm well pleased with the scope. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 15:41
While I am a big fan of SWFA scopes, and I think every prospective buyer needs to realize that unit variation and lemons occur with all scope lines and models, I appreciate 6.5 sharing his experience and opinion.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 15:46
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

While I am a big fan of SWFA scopes, and I think every prospective buyer needs to realize that unit variation and lemons occur with all scope lines and models, I appreciate 6.5 sharing his experience and opinion.

Me too. Ice cream makers make chocolate, vanilla, and tooty fruity because folks like different flavors. 

I just respectfully disagree that we all have to agree with his findings/opinions, Matt. You agree? Wink  
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 16:25
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I just respectfully disagree that we all have to agree with his findings/opinions, Matt. You agree? Wink  

I'm pretty sure we don't have to agree with anyone else's opinions.  I just appreciate him posting his take on it, and the account of his experience with it.  There could be a buyer that wouldn't like the mag ring configured like it is on the SS, and they could save themselves some trouble.  I like hearing the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

I haven't had a chance to try the SS 3-9 myself, although I really like the features for the price.

-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2012 at 16:48

but surely we can all agree that mag ring design is flawed at best. And maybe, just maybe, the scope is to large for a simple 3-9.

Matt, this is what I take exception to. No...we don't HAVE to agree the mag ring is flawed. I don't feel it is. 
I just went back to my gun safe and pulled out mine and twisted the hell out of it. Works for me. 
If he feels it's flawed, then he's certainly entitled to his opinion, I just don't concur.    

The SS is "to large for a simple 3-9x". 
Zeiss Conquest 3-9x is a little longer and the Meopta 3-9x is a lot longer than the SS.
My Leupold VX-R 3-9x is a 1/2" shorter than the SS and the Swaro's are around an inch shorter. Again, not really a game changer for me, but OK. 

The SS does weigh more than most. Maybe he was referring to that. 

MR. 6.5 doesn't HAVE to agree with most here that the SS is a great scope and I don't HAVE to agree it's flawed. He put his money down and feels the SS came up short and I'm sorry to hear that. Leave it at that. 

Edited by cheaptrick - April/22/2012 at 16:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic