OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.243 and 30-06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .243 and 30-06
    Posted: March/20/2012 at 19:28
Well I finally had a couple things come together this afternoon. First, my .243 and a-maxes finally started to cooperate. Retumbo was providing great velocity, but not grouping worth a darn. I tried switching primers, powder charge, and seating depth. For kicks, I loaded up a batch with Ramshot Hunter last night. Their data shows good velocity with a 107 sierra, so I thought I would give it a shot. I just loaded up one set of 5 rounds. While retumbo has been grouping around 3" at 100, the first four with hunter went into just over half an inch. I got excited and pulled the fifth. I took a picture, but do not know how to post it from my phone.

Next, I tried rl17 in the Winchester featherweight 30-06 with both 180 ballistic tips and 200 accubonds. Out of the forget ascending powder charges with the 180's, the middle three charges of 53.5, 54, and 54.5 grains made a nice triangle right around half an inch. That is the first sign of good accuracy from this rifle. It also put the top two charges of powder with the 200's right next to each other. And it looks like she wants to shoot the 200's in the mid to upper 2600's, and the 180's right around 2760 fps. It hit an accuracy node at that fps with rl22 and the 180's, but had pressure signs.

Obviously I am pretty excited. Fella good when something comes together, even if it was maybe a little accidental stumbling upon it. Now I kinda wish I knew how to upload pictures onto the site...
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2012 at 21:24
try photo bucket then just copy and paste
Dont take yourself to seriously
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 07:44
to upload a picture you can use the file manager in the member control panel, click new upload, once its uploaded then click the picture of the tree above the reply box that you write in and select the photo you want to post.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 08:21
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

to upload a picture you can use the file manager in the member control panel, click new upload, once its uploaded then click the picture of the tree above the reply box that you write in and select the photo you want to post.

From a phone it is not that easy.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 08:33
if you have a smart phone it should be. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 09:43

if you have a smart phone it should be. 

I guess my phone ain't as smart as the others just like it. who knows, guess it is just for those smart folks who know it all who can figure it out. Maybe one day I'll obtain the the knowledge to make it work like advertised.

jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 10:18
I have a "smart phone", but it isn't cooperating. When I touch the."upload photo" icon I get a page that pops up with "choose file" as an option. However, nothing happens when I try to choose a file.

Oh, and SVT- your Sig is my all-time favorite quote.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 10:34
Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

I have a "smart phone", but it isn't cooperating. When I touch the."upload photo" icon I get a page that pops up with "choose file" as an option. However, nothing happens when I try to choose a file.

Oh, and SVT- your Sig is my all-time favorite quote.

i sometimes have to click upload twice to get the pop up window to show up to say ok on.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 10:47
I haven't been able to upload a photo from my phone yet.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 10:51
huh... yall have pop ups blocked or anything? do you get the pop up that says please be patient while your image is uploaded?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 10:59
Yes. And nothing happens. Never lets me select a photo, either.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 11:21
ok here is what happens on my phone from teh file manager page.
-Select new upload icon from above the list of my existing pictures -
-this brings up a new page with a icon "choose file" - click on it
- box pulls up that says choose file for upload, i click from "gallery"
- list of photos in my gallery pull up, i click on the picture I want
- goes back to page that has the "choose file" icon, below that is "upload image" click upload image
- popup window says please be patient while the file is being upload to the server, click ok no that window
-sometimes nothing happens after clicking that ok box, so I reclick upload again and ok again, this normally fixes it and it startes to upload
- popup window then pops up and says your file has been successfully uploaded to the server
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 11:28

ok here is what happens on my phone from teh file manager page.
-Select new upload icon from above the list of my existing pictures -
-this brings up a new page with a icon "choose file" - click on it
- box pulls up that says choose file for upload, i click from "gallery"
- list of photos in my gallery pull up, i click on the picture I want
- goes back to page that has the "choose file" icon, below that is "upload image" click upload image
- popup window says please be patient while the file is being upload to the server, click ok no that window
-sometimes nothing happens after clicking that ok box, so I reclick upload again and ok again, this normally fixes it and it startes to upload
- popup window then pops up and says your file has been successfully uploaded to the server

SVT,
start a new thread with this and post a pic with YOUR phone. Thanks BigDaddy

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 11:37
Jason,
what FPS are you getting with the retumbo? it seems like a really slow powder for a 243. I have used H1000 and H4831sc with good accuracy but never tested the FPS. I use varget in the 243 now with a 95gr berger. its a nice load.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 12:34
Well, my first ladder started at just over 2900 and went to 3050ish with no pressure signs. I think that was from 46 to 50 grains of retumbo. 50 grains was pretty heavily compressed, BTW. Anyway, I loaded up some more at 46, 46.5, and 47 grains to try and get some groups. Those ran from about 3020 to around 3070- which I thought was strange. It was about 25 degrees warmer, but retumbo is an "extreme" powder. I didn't expect it to gain that much velocity going from 44 degrees to around 70. Also, one of them blew a primer this go-round. I think I'll use the rest of my retumbo in the 7mm...

The ramshot hunter went from 2924 to 2976. I used the 43 grains that ramshot lists as max for a 107 sierra as my max, and had no pressure signs on the brass. And all 5 grouped together.
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 13:20
Jason - Maybe i missed this, but what 243 rifle is it and length of barrel? I dont load for a 243 so i really cant speak about the charge weight and powder choice. 
What kind of chronograph are you using? I know it takes some decent money to get one i would put a lot of faith into. How accurate are the "cheaper" chronographs most of us use and what is their % error?  I dont have an exact answer to this but if youre telling me you shot 120fps faster at 46gr with a 25 degree increase in temp i would lean towards it being a chronograph error rather than a true number. I think somewhere on Hodgon's website they will have a ball park number for the %change in fps per degree F. 
Keep us up to date on your load development. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 13:20
Grabbed my notes from that first session, and the retumbo actually went 2949 to 3058 on the first string. I didn't shoot past 48 grains because I thought 3058 was too fast.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 14:03
Sorry, I am hurredly posting when I get a few minutes at work, and being less thorough than I would like. Almost forgot- ten rounds with 45 grains at two different searing depths went from 2923 to 2976 last night.

And as far as chronograph results are concerned, I understand that it has to be taken with a grain of salt. I just use it to get an idea of things. And I wouldn't have even posted any numbers if no one had asked...

Edited by jason miller - March/21/2012 at 14:19
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2012 at 23:01
I tried 95 grain bergers tonight. I don't think they are for me- especially if that amax load pans out. To get a berger close to the lands in my rifle, I would have hardly any of the shank in the neck. The closest I can get them is about .075" away. I tried them there, .100", and .125" off the lands. It started out poor at .075", and got worse as they got further from the lands. I think I have 70. Might try one more powder before I give up on them. I have some H4350...
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 06:39
if you have varget do 42 to 44 in 0.5 and see.  I like bergers and have not had a problem with a jump to the land like most people talk about. I guess I just get lucky with them.

Also try some H1000 and see how it turns out. I use it with a 100gr sp load for playing and its dead nutz.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic