OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New 270 WSM which brand?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 270 WSM which brand?
    Posted: March/24/2012 at 17:32
I am looking at getting a new 270 WSM for deer hunting, i have looked at Browning X-bolt, Winchester M70 Featherweight and M70 Ultimate Shadow, as well as a Savage Weather Warrior 16FCSS, of those which is the best rifle, or if there is any other that you can think of for under $900.00 let me know. Thanks
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2012 at 18:09
I prefer a Tikka T3 because of their 3 shot in one inch at 100 yds guarantee. After that I am quite fond of the Savages and the ones I have owned have shot very well.  The last Winchester I owned ruined it for me after two trips back to the factory the 300 WSM would not eject the case all it would do is slide it back in the acton and drop it on top of the next live round. Winchester Shame On You.  I had a Browning A bolt in .375 H&H that I never could make shoot well and gave up on it. Others have had wonderful luck with Browning.  Remmington while not always great can always be made great by a competent gunsmith and most custom guns are trued remmington actions. Ruger has a very strong action and some are accurate enough to hunt with but not all and you either get a great one or you get one that wont hit a barn from inside.     I've had both but my current 300 WM Ruger is a fine hunting rifle and ultra reliable. But if you stay with Tikka or Savage you wil not be disappointed. And there is a better than 80% chance that you will be quite happy with the Browning or the Ruger. Go feel the weight of the rifle work the action and see what fits you. If your loaded you can look for a Kimber Montana they are fine rifles.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2012 at 18:48
"Won't hit a barn from inside" haha

I'd have to agree with the Tikka and I'm a Savage person. Even the Axis that I have shoots under an inch. $270 gun!

The bull barrel 10FP shoots even better. Savage makes accurate guns for the price.
Old Mil ftw
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2012 at 18:51
I can't complain about my Savage either... But the Rem-Demons are calling to me! But only in the name of a custom action. But all but a few of those are based on the 700 anyway.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Pop 05 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pop 05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2012 at 21:02
KIMBER 8400, TACK DRIVER WITH 110 ACCBOND ..
this country was taken by the gun and will be taken back by the gun
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2012 at 21:45
I agree, can not go wrong with a Tikka or a Savage. I have mark v wby that does not shoot as well as my Tikka's and the wby is as three times the price of the Tikka.

Edited by rustic - March/24/2012 at 21:50
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2012 at 10:04
just remember the .270wsm isnt a .270 win, the lighter weight rifle you buy the more its gonna kick like a .300 mag. my wifes cousin has an abolt in a .270wsm and its a shooter.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2012 at 10:29
My 300 WSM is a Tikka T3 stainless synthetic - I love it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/26/2012 at 13:08
The design of the stock has more to do with felt recoil than weight of the rifle on cartridges around 300 mag and down. The 270 would be great chambered on a Tikka.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic