OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Chimera tactical rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chimera tactical rings
    Posted: March/31/2012 at 18:15
I just put a set on my 7mmSTW Winchester Model 70 Laredo.  Some of the finest rings I have ever encountered from Tactical Rifles... simply amazing.  2.6 ounces each (5.2oz total) with huge surface area (7.5 inches per set).  Alloy aluminum and titanium.  

I'm considering replacing almost all my 30mm rings with Chimera.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2015 at 16:27
Are they aluminum rings with titanium screws?
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2015 at 16:55
Looks really cool.  Too pricy for me to justify switching from what I have.  I will seriously consider them for any future build.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2015 at 17:38
Having followed all the tacticalrifles,net hoopla on the Hide for some time, I would not trust that company with building a birdhouse in my yard.

Here is how the whole business started: 

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2015 at 19:18
Good thing they don't make birdhouses… the rings are good though.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2015 at 22:13
I hope they work for you,Dan. And really hope you don't have any need of their customer service, that's usually when the wheels fall off in that company! I wouldn't trust them.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2015 at 07:41
The rings are as perfect as rings get.  Don't know what CS I would need.  I won't buy any birdhouses from them and never looked at (or wanted to look at) one of their rifles.  

However, I did go back and read all the comments on that site and there are a number of conflicting responses to the video.  I'm not saying the video is wrong, I'm just saying I don't know that it is… perhaps just someone with poor abilities who created a set of problems.  One youtube video does not a case make.  Now, I'm interested enough to check them out.

Edited by Kickboxer - August/09/2015 at 08:05

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 12:22

FOLLOW UP:

I contacted Dave Rooney, owner of Tactical Rifles, email and phone.  Spent a lot of time talking with him and there are definitely some "issues" with the video.

Long story short, they have been in business 11 years... people who make rifles like the one in the video won't last that long...

Dave invited me, and anyone who wants the "truth", to come to their facility in Florida and check them out, observe their workmanship, perhaps check out a rifle.

I will go when I can.  Before passing judgment, I would recommend anyone else do the same.  I have no association with or loyalty to this company other than I have one of their products, Chimera Rings, and they are of superior workmanship.  I've seen, but never handled, one of their rifles... it was on consignment in a store I visit sometimes.   Not something I was in the market for at the time and did not pay much attention.  Wish I had.

Just looking at that video... could anyone who builds rifles for a living actually make ALL those mistakes on one rifle?? 

Many questions to consider... but should not say "NAY" without more definitive proof.  Dave does not deny that the owner of the rifle purchased one from Tactical Rifles, just denies it was in the condition in the video when it left their shop...

As stated, I will visit them when I get the opportunity.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 13:19
It sounds like got marginally nicer after his idiotic law suit got thrown out.

I do not think a law suite is a good way of supporting a customer who got a subpar product even if that happened only once and by mistake.

I will absolutely not support any company that does that.  What does he think happened? The guy who bough the rifle from him when and intentional loosened up the threads to make him look bad?  That's preposterous.

ILya

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 18:09
You know, I don't think either side looks really good over this.  Phone Tactical Rifles and talk to him about it.. or not.  I'm not "in the loop" on what went on… I suggest few are and I don't know any of them.  As I said, when the opportunity presents itself, I'm going to take him up on his offer to visit his place of business.  I think the video is flawed, based upon my conversation with Dave.  
Because it's on the internet it MUST be true???

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 18:12
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Having followed all the tacticalrifles,net hoopla on the Hide for some time, I would not trust that company with building a birdhouse in my yard.

Here is how the whole business started: 

ILya

Wowzers....
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 18:14
When the whole lawsuit thing started I went and talked to all of the involved parties I could get my hands on (SHOT show is good for that kind of stuff).

I do not think I need to go through that exercise again.  I was curious about it back then to go and form an opinion.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 18:21
I had almost forgotten that I had seen that video. Isn't that company out of Florida? 

Looks like some of my "work". 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 18:27
And Dave Rooney's claim is… the rifle was tampered with.  He has paperwork showing it left the shop shooting 0.276MOA (3shot test group).  The guy had it for 4 years before it was sent to an unknown gunsmith in Kalifornia for "repairs".  

Just FYI, I'm doing some background checking on a few things.  I'll know fairly soon who is trustworthy in this bitter tale.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 18:52
Spartan Precision is a pretty well respected gunsmith.  I've seen a fair number of rifles built by him and he is generally well regarded.

ILya 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2015 at 19:17

Fairly respected shooter...

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 07:22
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I had almost forgotten that I had seen that video. Isn't that company out of Florida? 

Looks like some of my "work". 

I believe they are just a bit north of Whorelando.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2015 at 08:46
Yeah, I get these guys crossed up with X Ring Accuracy down there. 

X Ring does good work, by all accounts. 
He hangs out over at Sniper Central. Or did anyway. Good guy.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic