OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pride Fowler Industries (PFI) RR-900-4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pride Fowler Industries (PFI) RR-900-4
    Posted: April/08/2012 at 00:41
I tried to do a search and came up with nothing, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with  Pride Fowler Industries (PFI) RR-900-4?  They are claiming Army snipers & SDM's are using their scopes.  I am interested in potentially buying one when I have the funds.  I would like to mount this scope on my LMT MWS .308 with a 20" inch chrome line barrel.  I never had the chance to go to Sniper School, my orders changed when I was in, but I do love long range shooting.  From what the video, they are taking most of the calculations out of the equation in doing the math.  I would like to know what people here think of this scope if anyone out there has any previous experience.  I do not know what the standard issue is for Army SDM's currently, so perhaps someone knows that info as well.  I am guessing it depends on the unit and their S.O.P.  I just like to some feedback before I put down $1800 for this scope.  Thanks in advance.

http://www.rapidreticle.com/Main/ScopeItem.aspx?ID=17&grpID=2#

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wl_LK2-QxEk

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 06:41
Pride Fowler 2.5-10x40 Rapid Reticle 900 30mm Rifle Scope
Pride Fowler 2.5-10x40 Rapid Reticle 900 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - RR9004
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Ballistic Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Ballistic Elevation Turret Calibrated 100 to 900 meters
  • First Focal Plane Reticle
  • Meters Version
$1,799.95
There are a lot of mostly Leupold Mk4 scopes in use currently numerous models there are aslo several other brands but I have not seen any pride fowlers in service.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 06:45
I'd look at these real hard in selecting.
SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm RiflescopeSWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Illuminated Mil Quad SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQI
  • Patented First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,499.95   

SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95 
If you want the best scope that would be the Zeiss Heinsoldt Tactical and my second choice would be U. S. Optics with the EREK knob, Nightforce scopes are also well liked. 
US Optics 3.2-17x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope
US Optics 3.2-17x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOSN3E
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#3 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • T-Pal Left Side Parallax/Focus
$2,659.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 07:46
PFI scopes are in service.  They won several small contracts for different scope models they make and they are in use.

I reviewed a couple of PFI scopes, though not the RR900 and liked them.

ILya
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 09:35
The military uses an amazing array of different optics and weapon systems and they probably do have some I just have not seen them on our base ranges but that doesnt mean they are not in the system. What I see most often here are leupolds but I know we did recieve a Premier scope in a few months back because the guy it was going to was out to lunch so I had to sign for it.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 10:14
The Good news is the reticles are first focal plane, the bad news is they are ballistic... Meaning they are tied to one round at one velocity, at one altitude and barometric pressure. Can they work, sure. But I prefer a mil-based reticle, and one not as busy as that one. The rapid ranging feature is pretty sweet. And for a D.M. type weapon, I can see where this scope would have success, because of most of the time a hit in combat is a hit...  I too would recommend the SS 5-20. It is by far the best value on the market! 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 11:08
If Mickey Fowler  and John Pride say they have government contracts or sales, you can take that to the bank.   I cant imagine either of those guys putting their name and reputation on a product that wasnt top flight.  I havent looked through any of their scopes, and I dont know anyone that has one, so I cannot comment on their scope quality of fitness.  They do look interesting though.  
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2012 at 11:49
If I was stepping into the $2k range and wanted a variable that was 10x on the top end ... USO SN3 1.8-10 would be my choice ... one of my favorites ...

sierra View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 00:35
Thanks for all the input.  I will keep in mind all your suggestions.  It is going to be a while till I get a scope, but I do want high end, well as much as I can afford of a nice scope.  Thanks again.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2012 at 10:17
I heard threw the grape vine,US Optics is comming out with a 1-10 for under $2K in the summer.I can't tell you how I know other wise I'd have to kill ya Wink
Again you can't go wrong with the SS 5-20x50.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
fatelvis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatelvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2012 at 08:26
I ended up finally buying the RR900-1 (the yards version), for a ;lot less than the advertised price, and mounted it using Basset's low Picatinny mount, and PFI's own rings, on my 'ol trust M1A. For the record I don't work for PFI or advertise for them.
For those of you not familiar with Pride Fowler's RR900, it has a ranging reticle using shoulders or head to determine target ranges out to 900 yds/meters, and has the correct hold over lines out to 900 yds/meters when using a .30 cal 168/175SMK @ 2600 fps. (or the equalivent). 
The glass is wonderfully clear, the numbers and the reticle are super sharp. The windage and elevation knobs are very stiff, but have softly audibleclicks. The illumination knob for the reticle (on the tip of the parallex knob) turns easier than the parallex knob, allowing brightness to be set or turned on/off without holding the lower part of the knob. A spare battery is stowed in a special compartment in the windage cap. The power ring turns smoothly but it's tight. The "fast-focus" eyepiece is very nice. A simple push or pull of the eyepiece will bring the reticle into focus, but is a little different than most. The eyepiece turns as you pull/push, due to a course thread that it rides on, preventing an accidental bump in the field throwing out of adjustment.
I zeroed the scope using only the 100yd range for now. Zeroing was fast, easy, and uneventful. The scope has 1/2MOA adjustments, and are very repeatable. I found this out by over correcting as I walked the shots into the bull, a couple times! Lol... It has BDC knobs, marked out to 900yds, and a zero-stop ring on the elevation turret, but I won't be using these. The reticle's design of ranging/BDC is the main selling point! Most people who want this scope don't want to mess with the knobs!! I was hoping my rifle liked the 175SMK loads that I loaded, but after firing off the bech, it was immediately apparent that my 1:12 SAK barrel likes my 168SMK loads MUCH better. (1" three shot groups vs. 2" groups!)
All in all I am very pleased with this scope so far. It seems to be very well made, solid, and very clear. The Basset mount held like a champ also. After firing 65 rounds I checked to see if the bolt was still @ 20 inch lbs, and it was. With the right load this rifle was shooting as well as my Rem 5R/ NF combo! I can't wait to stretch its legs at the 600 yd. range!
Gun control is not about guns.....It's about control.
fatelvis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatelvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2017 at 17:49
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd post an update. Previously I mentioned I couldn't wait to try this scope at 600yds.  I finally shot both my Rem 700 and M1A at that range.  I must say I was impressed that from the first shot the bullet drop reticle was RIGHT ON at 600. I zeroed it at 200yds with my pet 168SMK load (~2600 fps), and the first 5 shot group was at the correct elevation and about 2.5" to the right due to wind at 600. I've been shooting this rifle/scope combo alot over the last 5yrs and it has been performing perfectly, with no problems what so ever. I also own two 22lr Pride Fowler scopes and one 44 mag version. All of them work beautifully with no problems.  Good scopes for the money!!
Gun control is not about guns.....It's about control.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic