OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Carbon removal from barrel..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbon removal from barrel..
    Posted: April/10/2012 at 05:46
I have fired around 250 rounds through my 6mmAI.
I clean it after evrey range session, whuch amounts to about 50 rounds. I use Shooters Choice, Shooters copper removal and Boretech Carbon removal. Heavy soaks and lots of time for it to do its thing.
However, after my last session, this is after 250 rounds total through the barrel, I could feel the patch push harder through the throat area and then softer through the rest of the barrel. The patch comes out clean (white).
I then did a bit of scrubbing with the bronze brush, only in the throat area. Black gunk came out. Soaked again carbon cleaner, patch comes out clean. Scrub with wire brush, black gunk. I repeated this process about twenty times, even using a brand new bronze brush to eliminate the brush as the source of the carbon.

So after a couple of bronze brush scrubs the patch came out clean.

Whats up here??

My take is that all this expensive stuff is not doing its job. Remember, I soaked and soaked, sometimes even overnight.
A good old bronze brush scrubbing did the trick, with Ballistol oil. The paatch also now felt smooth throuhout the barrel.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 06:51
I use nylon brushes because I felt the brass brushes were mixing with the cleaning agent that I use, Barnes CR-10, and causing the "blue" left on the patches. Wasn't black though. 

Also, you may want to consider using Tubbs Throat Maintenance system to smooth out the throat. I did and noticed that the barrel was easier to clean and had less drag on the patches. 
Other than that, I'm not sure why your getting the results you've gotten, 8.    

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 08:27
Thanks, I will see if I can lay my hands on some of these.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 12:51
I've found carbon is harder to deal with than copper...and you don't want to leave ammonia-based solvents for long. They can etch the barrel. I soak a .45 bore mop with M-Pro 7 and leave that jammed in the chamber overnight (with the rifle upside down and with the muzzle slightly lower than the action). The mop will be covered with flakes of carbon. I used to use GM Top Engine cleaner but that stuff is highly toxic. I then run patches through on a spud with a copper solvent until they come out completely clean. I stopped brushing altogether.
Reaction time is a factor...
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 13:49
I use a bore snake in the field as often as possible. Carbon and copper have never been a problem for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 15:12
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

I use a bore snake in the field as often as possible. Carbon and copper have never been a problem for me.

Is this the only cleaning you do, is with a Bore Snake?  
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 15:41
cleaning is over rated." Just shoot"....

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 16:14
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

I have fired around 250 rounds through my 6mmAI.
I clean it after evrey range session, whuch amounts to about 50 rounds. I use Shooters Choice, Shooters copper removal and Boretech Carbon removal. Heavy soaks and lots of time for it to do its thing.
However, after my last session, this is after 250 rounds total through the barrel, I could feel the patch push harder through the throat area and then softer through the rest of the barrel. The patch comes out clean (white).
I then did a bit of scrubbing with the bronze brush, only in the throat area. Black gunk came out. Soaked again carbon cleaner, patch comes out clean. Scrub with wire brush, black gunk. I repeated this process about twenty times, even using a brand new bronze brush to eliminate the brush as the source of the carbon.

So after a couple of bronze brush scrubs the patch came out clean.

Whats up here??

My take is that all this expensive stuff is not doing its job. Remember, I soaked and soaked, sometimes even overnight.
A good old bronze brush scrubbing did the trick, with Ballistol oil. The paatch also now felt smooth throuhout the barrel.

Stupid question time...........Are you running moly coated bullets ?

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 19:31
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

For the barrel... Yes.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 19:52

For the barrel... Yes.

What type of cleaning solutions do you use?
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 20:11
Outers
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 20:12
Wipe Out will remove ALL of the fouling without any scrubbing at all.

It is like a miracle product.

Use Wipe Out overnight sometime, and check the bore with a borescope afterwards.  Amazing.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 20:15
Where do you get that at??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 21:22

I order it online, but I have also seen it sold locally.

-Matt
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 00:59
No using Sierra Blitzking, no molycoats.

I thought all the carbon removal stuff would after several soaks clean it all out. But it does not seem to be so. A brush is still required.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 06:53
Rustic, if the only thing you use is a Bore Snake to clean your barrels, you probably have more of a copper problem than you presently know. 
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 07:33
Just soak it in this for a few minutes  http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=4  and patch it out. No brush needed. if you think you need to brush it do so. This is some good stuff. i have seen it work wonders and it stinks to high heaven.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 08:32

Rustic, if the only thing you use is a Bore Snake to clean your barrels, you probably have more of a copper problem than you presently know. 

Agreed.
-Matt
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 09:11
Especially on factory rifles.  All mine copper foul like crazy.  Bore snakes work great at breaking loose some carbon between cleanings, but beyond that they do not do much.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 10:41
+1 on the Wipe Out.
There is another foaming bore cleaner that removes carbon and copper, but I can't remember if it's Outters, or Birchwood Casey's.
Wipe Out is still my first choice though. Haven't had to use a bore brush since I started using it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic