OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Carbon removal from barrel..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 10:48
You have the "Dreaded Cone of Carbon", a common event which occurs more as the more "over bore" the caliber and powder charge combination. Copper fouling really isn't a problem, but carbon build up will ruin accuracy.
the best carbon cleaning solvents are unsaturated aromatic ethers. light wt. synthetic motor oil. the ether bridge has an unshared pair of electrons, which combines with the carbon residue, and the aromatic rings are a natural carbon solvent. Saturate barrel with a wet swab let stand for a couple of hours, spray out the residue with brake fluid , follow with one pass of JB's bore cleaner , then Kroil

If you had been using moly this wouldn't have happened.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 11:09
BoreTech Eliminator

Best solvent i've ever used to date.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 17:59
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

You have the "Dreaded Cone of Carbon", a common event which occurs more as the more "over bore" the caliber and powder charge combination. Copper fouling really isn't a problem, but carbon build up will ruin accuracy.
the best carbon cleaning solvents are unsaturated aromatic ethers. light wt. synthetic motor oil. the ether bridge has an unshared pair of electrons, which combines with the carbon residue, and the aromatic rings are a natural carbon solvent. Saturate barrel with a wet swab let stand for a couple of hours, spray out the residue with brake fluid , follow with one pass of JB's bore cleaner , then Kroil

Best advice so far.  Stuff a cork in the barrel and then fill with synthetic motor oil, or even cooking oil will work.  Let stand overnight and then drain and run a patch through it.  Also if you need to wash your hands after some  mechanic work start your wash with some form of cooking oil.  Then use dawn dish detergent or other soap.  You will have the cleanest hands on the blockCool
Native View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Native Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 20:49
Wipe-out is the way to go. Been using it for years. Pull a bore snake through after each trip to the range or hunt. Use Break Free on the snake. Wipe out when I feel like it. A good break in was part of the history.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 23:12
I will have to try wipe out with a bore snake.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 01:20
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Thanks Dale, I will give this a go.
Native View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Native Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 21:29
I want to clarify my earlier statement. I use a dry patch after treatment with the wipe out, then pull a brake free treated bore snake through to put a very light coat of protection in the barrel. Sorry for any confusion.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 10:34
After the Wipe Out, I use dry patches until they come out clean or light grey. Then I treat the barrel with Tetra Gun bore conditioner, followed with 1 dry patch to remove excess conditioner.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Blanco Gringo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blanco Gringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 12:56
I have been using something that has been under a lot of peoples radar. You can find the exact formula online. I have seen it called Ed's red. My formulation is called gungravy.
Easy to make and cheap.
My recipe...
1/3 Valvoline universal ATF.. (use this for low odor)
1/3 low odor mineral spirits
the last 1/3 is a mix of lightweight oil such as 10 wt non detergent oil (3in1)
and orange oil solvent (limolene)
This is some of the best cleaner I have ever used and it is a great lubricant also.
This is a guess ... buut I think this is very close to what is known comercially as Ballistol??

It will strip fouling and carbon from barrels you thought were clean!
It just wont remove copper fouling. For that, just add some murphy's oil soap and janitorial strength ammonia (10%) available from ACE hardware to the gungravy. you will need to shake it up real good.
I used this formula on my old Mosin Nagant and big gobs of blue and green came out the barrel!
"My dog gives me the bird"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 16:27
I mixed a gallon or so of Ed's Red a few years back and I think I still have a 80% of it left.  I suspect that it will last me for the rest of my life and it only cost a few bucks.

I did separate a little bit of it and made Ed's Red Plus which also cleans out copper.  I use it on my various milsurp rifles with reasonable success.  The one problem with it is that it does not work all that well when you have been using corrosive ammo.

Since I shoot corrosive ammo in my milsupr rifles a fair bit, I started using water-based Slip2000 degreaser before the other cleaners.  It kinda smells like citrus, so it is also not too offensive to my wife (in case I am cleaning guns in the garage).  It turned out that this citrusi concoction is phenomenally good on carbon fouling as well.  So much so that oftentimes all I do is 3-4 patches of Slip2000 degreaser, a couple of dry patches, a patch saturated with oil and then a dry patch.  That leaves the embedded copper in place and takes out most of the other crap.

ILya
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2012 at 20:07
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

BoreTech Eliminator

I agree.  Wipe out is great too, but this stuff is numero uno in my book.  Another "miracle" cleaner is Iosso Bore Paste.  You can scrub and clean 'til your hearts content, then run Iosso through it and see the crap you couldn't get out otherwise.  Nylon brushes are the way to go also.  I still like Butch's best for copper. 
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2012 at 05:50
I have tried this and that..nothing. I tried the lightweight oil. I use Ballistol etc....nothing.

On the last clean I took Brasso to the barrel. Black stuff kept on coming out. I had a pile of patches heaped up. I checked the outside of the barrel with a Brasso patch, the patch stays clean, so I am not dissolving the barrel away!!
It seems clean now.
I will use a borescope at some point to check what is going on.
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 01:03
For years I have used Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner with adequate results. This stuff contains Ethanolamine sort of a spin off of ammonia and alcohol and is commonly used in dry cleaning and other industrial applications. I use this stuff with rubber gloves and immediately wipe off any spilled residue from wood, inside actions and other parts. All of my barrels are stainless and a 1-2 hour soak of this stuff appears to remove both carbon and copper. I neglected to remove some of this stuff from an carbon steel ejector in a carbon steel receiver and a good deposit of rust resulted. Traces of rust sometimes form inside stainless receivers used in humid warm conditions.

Ethanolamine could attack copper (remove), iron (rust?), rubber (scope parts), brass (ammo?) and is labeled as toxic. Lots of blue-black glop is pushed from the bore upon cleaning with a rod & patch.

0W-20 Mobil 1 costs about $7/qt. and appears to clean more carbon from my barrels after the foaming bore cleaner treatment.

KIMBER8400AT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 20:54
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

BoreTech Eliminator

Been using that with copper eliminator every 80 - 100 rounds no problem.
Also heard Montana extreme works well, all of their products are non-corrosive/abrasive.
“Don't carry a gun. It's nice to have them close by, but don't carry them. You might get arrested.” J.G.
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 08:38
8shots, do you use a nylon brush with the Boretech products, as they direct?

I've seen almost diamond-hard carbon deposits before that only an abrasive would take out. I've seen them when the shooter used an oooold-line surplus spherical powder, and a supposedly-new-tech stick powder. Both of these are marketed by the same intermediate company. Perhaps it happens with some other marketers' powders, but where I've seen it is with just a couple powders from the one outfit. Not all the powders they market exhibit this carbon fouling characteristic, but I don't use enough of their stick powders to know whether it's an across-the-board issue with the one manufacturer they buy from or not. I know it's not an across-the-board issue from another of the manufacturers they buy from.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 12:00
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

+1 on the Wipe Out.
There is another foaming bore cleaner that removes carbon and copper, but I can't remember if it's Outters, or Birchwood Casey's.
Wipe Out is still my first choice though. Haven't had to use a bore brush since I started using it.

BeltFed, correct on the Wipe-Out, I use Accellerator first., then Wipe-Out. End of story. I get mine from my gunsmith, it's the only thing he'll use.

Peddler Big SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig SmileBig Smile

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
runout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2016 at 05:46
Easy off oven cleaner is the stuff to use..Works great..Be sure to rinse it out of the barrel and apply a light coat of sewing machine oil..    
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2016 at 11:47
Originally posted by runout runout wrote:

Easy off oven cleaner is the stuff to use..Works great..Be sure to rinse it out of the barrel and apply a light coat of sewing machine oil..    

Hmm..I never considered that. 

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2016 at 19:59
I use oven cleaner on carbide-tipped tools - router bits, saw blades. It works great for that. While I haven't seen any rust, I'd be a little leery using it in a barrel.
Reaction time is a factor...
oldfortyfive View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldfortyfive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2016 at 22:06
Soak the bore down with PB Blaster. It's cheap and safely cuts the carbon. Really helps when shooting cast bullets too. I've not used anything that worked as well for cleaning a stainless steel revolver. Crap just wipes off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic