OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is there ANY 2X or 3X fixed power scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there ANY 2X or 3X fixed power scope?
    Posted: April/10/2012 at 18:39
Straight tube (no objective swell) conventional crosshair (non illuminated), 1" tube,  full length (at least 9").  The only thing I can find close is the rimfire/ultralight Leupold, but it is too short to mount.  I would like to find something like the old Weaver K2.5 or similar.  Curious how the used price on those can now exceed what they sold for new and no scope maker wants to participate in this product class.  There is a LOT of old guys out there, like me, that prefer more traditional stuff.

A few years ago, one of the moderators here polled us about interest in a 3X on behalf of Leupold.  Response seemed enthusiastic, but apparently nothing came of it.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 18:49
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
wolfee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 19:08
PERFECT!  I can't believe I missed this.  I need to pay attention.  A little pricey but I'll get one.  Maybe 2. Thanks.  btw, is this an SWFA exclusive?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 19:28

Nope.  It's a product from Leupold that was brought about by the requests from guys like us who wanted them.  You can also have extras done by their custom shop.

As far as cost goes I doubt you'll beat SWFA:

110% Low Price Guarantee

If you find a lower price at any competitor's store on a new identical item just show us the lower price when you buy the item at SWFA or within 10 days after your SWFA purchase and we'll give you 110% of the difference.

Our 10-day price-match guarantee is good on everything from optics to accessories. The item must be in stock and available for purchase at that price from a company (excluding wholesale or membership clubs) with a physical store location in the U.S. who is authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product.

• Item must be identical: For example, it must have the same U.S. manufacturer's warranty. It must also have the same model number and contain the same components.
  • Price Verification: SWFA reserves the right to verify another company's product availability and price before issuing a price match guarantee. Computer screenshots is not acceptable as proof of a competitor's price - the lower price must be accurate and live on a competitor's site at the time of the price-match.
  • Other Discounts: Available coupons and rebates will be deducted from the SWFA price to come up with a new SWFA price when calculating the price match. For example, if you buy an item from us for $100 and we offer a $10 rebate, the net price is $90. If the item is available from another company for $90 or more, there will be no price match. Another example would be if you buy an item from us for $139 and you have a $30 coupon; the net price is $109. If the item is available from another company for $105 the price match will be for $4.40 (110% of the difference).
  • Shipping and Handling: These charges are included when comparing our price to another company's delivery price, the equivalent shipping and handling charges will be included. If proof of the other company's shipping and handling charges are not supplied, then our standard shipping and handling charges will be added to the other company's price. For example, if you buy an item from us for $100, with $10 shipping and handling, and the item is available from another company for $90 with shipping and handling charges of $7, then the difference is $13. You would receive 110% of $13, which is $14.30.
  • Special Offers: If another company offers a product that comes with a free or discounted item and SWFA does not carry the free or discounted item, there will be no price match. For example, if another company offers a free product with the purchase of a scope, and the SWFA price is equal to the company's price for the scope, there will be no price match if SWFA does not carry the free product being offered.
  • Quantity Limits: We may limit the quantity of an item that may be price-matched. For example, if the other company limits the number you may buy, we may also limit the number. In addition, SWFA reserves the right to limit quantities sold to a customer.
  • Exclusions: We don't price match products provided or sold at local or special events (e.g., gun shows, grand opening, anniversary, clearance or liquidation sales), items sold at wholesale/membership clubs (e.g., Sam's, Costco), products sold on Internet auction sites (eBay, GunsAmerica, etc.) or products sold by distributors or wholesalers (e.g., RSR, Davidson's, companies that sell to dealers only). We also don't price match taxes, typographical errors or any item or price that includes a rebate.
wolfee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 19:57
I wouldn't try.  SWFA made it happen, so SWFA gets the biz.  I just got outbid at ebay on a Leupold Alaskan 2.5X at $405.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  One spec I would like to know is missing though--occular diameter.  My Ruger 77/22's like them to be 1.5" or less for low mounts.  Can you supply this spec for me?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2012 at 21:34

Only info I can find right now is that all OD and length dimensions are suppose to match the old M8.

I'm also doing some checking on the possibility that these scopes just may be a SWFA exclusive.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 07:07
Just saw this post. I have one and can measure it tonight when I get home from work...if you'd like! BTW, it's a nice scope. Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
wolfee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 07:25
Bugs, please, If it is a 1.6 (which I suspect it is) then I will just get one for my lever action.  If it is a 1.4 or 1.5 then it will work on my Ruger 77/22 with low rings.

300S&W, it would seem you are at least the de facto exclusive dealer.   Haven't found one anywhere else. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 07:49
To my knowledge these scopes are the only SWFA Exclusives.  That said SWFA Stocks more inventory than most and tries to keep the entire lineup on hand so it may just be that nobody else stocks that scope.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 08:24

Seems these scopes are available through Leupold's custom shop BUT you can't order online.  You must contact them by phone.  Other than that we're it I guess.

wolfee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 08:36
Several posters at the 24 hour campsite forum are raving about their 3X's from the custom shop.  But, they had em tricked out with a bunch of weird stuff.  I don't think I need a German reticle.  Crimeny, I should feel lucky I'm getting one WITHOUT a Chinese reticle!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 08:41

What's a Chinese reticle look like?   Big Grin

I have a 2.5x20 with the hvy plex which I like for low light or hvy cover hunting. 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 09:36
The German #1 is one of my favorite heavy cover reticles. Very fast and to the point.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 09:51
That's cool. Good on Leupold and SWFA for making that available. Before I got into long range shooting I used a 2.5X scout scope and a 4X FX-II (which I still have on my trainer .22). They're all you need for a max. PBR zero.
Reaction time is a factor...
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 11:09
Originally posted by wolfee wolfee wrote:

Bugs, please, If it is a 1.6 (which I suspect it is) then I will just get one for my lever action.  If it is a 1.4 or 1.5 then it will work on my Ruger 77/22 with low rings.

300S&W, it would seem you are at least the de facto exclusive dealer.   Haven't found one anywhere else. 

Eyeball (without calipers) it is about 1 7/16 inches or 38mm. It's most definitely below 1.5 inches. Hope that helps. Big Grin

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
wolfee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 13:31
Yes, thanks. All the specs I see from Leupold seem to be either 1.4 or 1.6.  Maybe that means it is a 1.4 (or whatever they round off to 1.4).  I am pickier than most about bolt clearance.  On a Ruger 77/22 the bolt is 2 pc and has considerable wiggle in it.  Most are not bothered by "wiggling" the handle past the eyepiece but I am.
wolfee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 13:33
[QUOTE=300S&W] 
  What's a Chinese reticle look like?   Big Grin

It looks just like an Ameican reticle, but it only costs 1/3 as much and falls out of the scope after the recoil from 5 rounds of 22 shorts.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 15:39
While at one time, that characterization was accurate, it is rapidly becoming untrue.  I don't care for the Chinese government/politics, the business practices of government subsidized businesses, etc, but the Chinese people are learning and catching up in the world of production.  There are still plenty of LOUSY Chinese produced scopes, but there are a number that are on a lot of "must have" lists...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
wolfee View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 16:12
Kickboxer, you are 100% right.  So, can we declare you to be the last word on the subject and spare ourselves an arduous 300 post thread on Chinese politics.  PLEEEAASE!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2012 at 16:21

I'm arduous?   Sad

Bucky
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic