OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Scope?
    Posted: April/12/2012 at 19:04
I have narrowed it down to these two scopes for my Winchester M70 Extreme Weather 270 WSM, let me know which of the two you would get and why. Thanks

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 19:54
IMO the 3-9x40 is the Conquest to consider being smaller, lighter constant eye relief and more similar to the Z3.  Between the two I'd prefer whichever had the reticle I wanted.  Zeiss has better reticles IMO.  I'm a big Zeiss fan.  Outdoor writer John Barsness has well documented reliablility issues with 1" Swaro's holding zero on big kickers. 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 19:55
Swaro better glass Wider field of view, 30MM 1" tube I have been corrected. Old book shows a little more adjustment. +++

Edited by 3_tens - April/12/2012 at 20:08
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 19:55
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Swaro better glass Wider field of view, 30MM tube more adjustment. +++
The Z3 is a 1" tube.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 20:10
Thanks for catching that I goofed.Bucky
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
odin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 21:33
Vote for Swarovski better glass and Mag range
             I'm not surrounded. I'm in the middle of a target rich environment!
odin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2012 at 21:35
and feild of view
             I'm not surrounded. I'm in the middle of a target rich environment!
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 05:23
If you can afford the Swarovski, go with it.  They are lighter than the Zeiss Conquests.  I have both and have put them on a scale.  The only reason I could see the choose the Conquest is if you need the 4" eye relief of the 3-9x40.  Otherwise, Swarovski all the way... 
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 06:55
Z3 Swarovski all the way.  I own a 4x12x50mm and its the best scope that I have ever owned.  There is a nice Z3 on the sample list for sale right now that just came in the last day or two.  
D. Holmes
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 08:38

I don't think you will ever find yourself in a situation where if you had the zeiss you wouldn't be able to make a shot were as if you had had the swaro you would have been able to, that said the swaro will be a bit nicer in the glass department.  They are both great scopes though and both will serve you extremely well.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 10:59
IMO as a owner of a Conquest go with the other... Conquests are a poor value.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:18
Conquests are usually a very good value, although there is always some oddball out there whose requirements are so unusual that his comprehension of value is so skewed it is nearly incomprehensible.

That having been said, if you can afford a Swaro Z3, go with that.  It is a nicer scope.  If your budget does not allow it, it is hard to go wrong with a Conquest as well.

ILya
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:27
Come on, just stating my opinion and experience I bought a 4.5x14 Conquest NIB for $700 for my wby at a gun show. It is a good scope no doubt but, NOT $700 good... I got ripped off my bad.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:29
Rustic, don't drive this thread off track.  IF you want to rant got to the anything goes section.

To the OP, you will find few, very few with the same thoughts at Rustic on the Conquest line.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:40
The op was asking for opinions I gave mine so be it. The other is clearly the better scope in every way.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:42
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

Come on, just stating my opinion and experience I bought a 4.5x14 Conquest NIB for $700 for my wby at a gun show. It is a good scope no doubt but, NOT $700 good... I got ripped off my bad.

It is your prerogative to be happy or unhappy with your purchase and nobody here doubts that you have opinions to state.  However, since the overwhelming majority of people (based on several years worth of anecdotal evidence and on continued success of the Conquest line) who buy Conquest scope seem to be quite happy with them, I suspect your opinion is an anomaly.

ILya
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:43
Exactly, you gave your opinion, so leave it at that, don't keep pounding on it.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 11:55
I stand corrected... I should have said ~ I bought a conquest NIB for $700 last year after using it I would not buy another and after the recent price hike makes them a worse value.

My bad
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 13:01
I have a Conquest, and it is one of my favorite scopes. I will not deny that the swaro is slightly better than the Conquest. The question you have to answer is, is it $110.00 better than the Conquest, and do you have the cash to spend.
I think the Conquest would serve you well.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
zlman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zlman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 15:02
Conquest owner here. 6.5-20x50, z-plex varmint reticle. Never owned a swaro. The zeiss to my eyes is beautiful glass. Can't image what spending more on a scope would bring to the table that the zeiss doesn't bring optically. Elevation adjustment IS lacking on the zeiss, I'll grant you that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic