OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 19:45
Question to couple of you arguing the Conquest vs. Z3, have you actually ever compared them?

Doug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 19:58
I have both scopes.  Actually my Swaro 3-10X42 is the previous "AV" model, which is essentially the same scope as the Z3. 

Both are really nice scopes, each with their own set of virtues. 

To my eyes, the Swaro is a little better optically.  Whether or not the difference justifies the increased price is a question only the buyer can determine.  Everyone sees things differently.

The Swaro is 3 oz. lighter.

Between both company's plex style reticles, I prefer the Zeiss Z-Plex over the Swaro offering hands down.  IMHO, Z-Plex may be the best plex reticle I've seen.  Proportionally, it's just about perfect to my way of thinking.  The outer posts are sufficiently thick for good visibility in low light, the inner crosshairs are sufficiently thin for precision shooting, and I think the spacing between the thick posts in the center is perfect. 

The Conquest is less expensive.

Both have tracked well and held zero for me.

I like the view through the Swaro better, but it's a sight, not a binocular.  I like the price and the reticle choices of the Conquest better.  To me, it's a coin toss.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 20:00
Doug,

I have owned models from both lines, and used several other conquest models.  I think conquests offer tremendous value throughout the range, especially the 3-9X40, even with the bump in price. 

However, the Z3 is better all-around, and I have compared the 4.5-14 Conquest to the 4-12X50 Z3.  I had my 4-12X50 on the 300 RUM without any issues in maintaining zero whatsoever.  I now have some Horus Vision CAT calibration targets and I will be doing tracking tests on the Z3 soon.
-Matt
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2012 at 20:32
I own multiples of each.  Both great scopes.  Zeiss has better reticles and Swaro is lighter.  Swaro may have slightly better glass but I don't see it in normal use.  Haven't done a side by side in low light but I assume the Swaro will be a bit better.

I wish we could get the Z4 here in the states.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2012 at 00:17
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Question to couple of you arguing the Conquest vs. Z3, have you actually ever compared them?

I have never owned a z3 looked through several shot a few owned by friends on a pd towns.
IMO the z3 seems to me a better scope and value than a Conquest.
The Z3 ~ is lighter /more compact ~ does not have plastic turret caps ~ a dial option ~ better fit and finish ~ better resale ~ simpler reticle ~ from what I understand better CS\warranty ~ I am told better glass.
These things more than make up for $100+ difference.

The op asked which of these two would you buy/pick??

IMO the price payed for a Conquest is a bit steep for what I received.

I never said/thought a Conquest as being nothing less than a good scope just... there are better valued scopes available. Again, the op listed two scopes conquest and z3 asking the thoughts/opinions of the forum.

Edited by rustic - April/14/2012 at 00:25
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2012 at 16:19
rustic
Even the German Zeiss Diavari's have plastic turret caps.  Not a problem.  I've always wondered why nobody has a problem with rubber covered parts like magnification rings or focus rings but a plastic part is considered a total POS.  Truth is neither is a problem.  The U.S. battle rifle for the last 50+ years is primarily plastic.  Loco
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2012 at 17:32
I have never had a problem with the plastic covers falling off like the metal ones do. Of course other times the metal covers will get rusty and you can't get them off.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2012 at 18:12
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

rustic
Even the German Zeiss Diavari's have plastic turret caps.  Not a problem.  I've always wondered why nobody has a problem with rubber covered parts like magnification rings or focus rings but a plastic part is considered a total POS.  Truth is neither is a problem.  The U.S. battle rifle for the last 50+ years is primarily plastic.  Loco

I have come close to stripping mine out but, luckily I did not. Im just afraid like the butler creek scope covers I have had after a short time turn to crap. I just prefer aluminum covers all the way around for turret and lens covers.
Again, this is not the only reason I prefer z3 over conquest.
3 tens - Auminum does not rust.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2012 at 18:44
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

rustic

I have come close to stripping mine out but, luckily I did not. Im just afraid like the butler creek scope covers I have had after a short time turn to crap. I just prefer aluminum covers all the way around for turret and lens covers.
Again, this is not the only reason I prefer z3 over conquest.
3 tens - Auminum does not rust.

Iron oxidation is rust Aluminum oxidation is Corrosion. Re phrase they oxidize. Same thing.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2012 at 08:24
I have both and find that the Z3 glass clarity is slightly better to my eye ,which is subjective I suppose, but what isnt is that the Z3 is definitly better in very low light than the Conquest and the Swaro 4A reticle is outstanding in low light target accusition.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 10:53

Side by side, no, but I have looked through the Swaros, and I will not deny that their glass is slightly better. Since the Conquest exceeds my needs, I couldn't justify spending the extra cash, and I think it's a great value. Unlike some people that want to say the Conquest is not a good value, because they didn't buy from SWFA, and got bent over tha table by the fly-by-night seller.
If slightly better glass, Aluminum caps, and a couple of ounces are worth the extra $110.00, then by all means............ It's not my wallet.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 13:41
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Side by side, no, but I have looked through the Swaros, and I will not deny that their glass is slightly better. Since the Conquest exceeds my needs, I couldn't justify spending the extra cash, and I think it's a great value. Unlike some people that want to say the Conquest is not a good value, because they didn't buy from SWFA, and got bent over tha table by the fly-by-night seller.
If slightly better glass, Aluminum caps, and a couple of ounces are worth the extra $110.00, then by all means............ It's not my wallet.

That is a good phrase "exceeds my needs" and exceeds the individuals shooting ability and/or the rifles ability should be added for me.
In my case I have found a Leupold v-3 meets/exceeds all the needs of the type of hunting I do for a bolt rifle now... For an AR type it may not be the right scope for me?

For record I bought the scope from a repaible dealer who was set up at a gun show selling a Conquest 4.5x14 44 NIB for $700... just saying I received less of a scope than I expected my bad.
As far as the "$110 extra" the compact/lightweight, dial system, aluminum caps, etc. and said "better glass" makes a better value IMO.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 14:16

Come on, just stating my opinion and experience I bought a 4.5x14 Conquest NIB for $700 for my wby at a gun show. It is a good scope no doubt but, NOT $700 good... I got ripped off my bad.

Did you NIB Conquest from a gun show have any extra letters in the "Conquest" or "Zeiss" names?  Did it come with packaging?  Was there a serial number?

I have come close to stripping mine out but, luckily I did not. 

How does one "almost" strip a turret?  Is almost stripping a turret the same as not stripping the turret?  I have almost died many times, almost missed a few shots; alas, I am still alive and didn't miss.  But almost...

In my case I have found a Leupold v-3 meets/exceeds all the needs of the type of hunting I do for a bolt rifle now... For an AR type it may not be the right scope for me?

Conquest was less scope than you expected, but Leupold meets/exceeds?

I have nothing against you personally, Rustic, it's just that all your opinions and experiences seem to be polar opposites to the rest of the world.  I don't know if that is because you are a straight-up liar, or God hates you, or you simply live in a bizzaro world.  And I shall make no attempt to explain it further.

To the OP, I have owned both, I sold all my Conquests - not because they were less than good, but because the optical quality of the Swaro is better. Significantly better, to my eye.

Budget permitting, buy the Swaro.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 14:30
Bucky
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 14:39
A scope does not have to be euro to be the best at all things. I don't need perfect glass but, prefer compact size light weight dial system accessorys etc. plus $200 savings does not hurt.
The z3 even with $100+ seems to me the better value because of the things I listed on the above posts... IMO.

Edited by rustic - April/16/2012 at 15:00
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 15:10
So Rustic, let me get this straight, your saying a Leupold V-3 meets your needs, but a Conquest doesn't; can you tell me how?

No, wait, don't answer that. It's off topic, and there is no use in descending this thread into hopeless frustration. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 15:14
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 15:26
I was just pointing out how both $800 and $500 scope can be a better suited than $700 scope from individual to individual. Price and in this case "who the scope is made by" does not necessarily better for everyone in every case.

back to the ford chevy dodge thing. wink wink
funny stuff
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 16:31

back to the ford chevy dodge thing. wink wink
funny stuff
Nobody here is winking back or laughing..... Your constant dribble is like a gnat at a BBQ, you want to squash it but it keeps ducking your best efforts
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2012 at 16:37

IMO as a owner of a Conquest go with the other... Conquests are a poor value.

So because the Conquest's have plastic turret covers, that makes them a "poor value" in your opinion ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic