OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

tactial reticle for low light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tactial reticle for low light
    Posted: April/22/2012 at 15:58
I would like to know what u guys think is the best tactial scope/rectial for low light hunting.
ofelas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ofelas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 10:44
Good old mildot, preferrably illuminated.
ofelas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ofelas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 10:50
Or just get a German post - works well for low light hunting.

I hear it was pretty tactical in a couple major wars as well ;-)

Didn't see an "edit" button , hence the double post.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 11:09
It depends.

On game, shots in low light are usually not long shots, so you don't need to dope a complicated shot on the reticle.  In that case, I like an illuminated dot with no illumination on the whole reticle - like the IOR 2.5-10 or the Accupoint scopes by Trijicon.

On hogs, shoot at any range (where a shot can safely be taken), that means a ranging, doping reticle is nice and illumination across the reticle is good.

Most of my hunting rifles have illuminated reticle scopes.  Better to have and not need than to need and not have.  Late last year a friend w/o illumination had to take a shot on a hog with my rifle because he couldn't see the target in his Conquest and it was clear as day in my Hensoldt - with a dimly lit red reticle overlay.  It was his first hog.

Lastly, get good illumination.  Many companies who make decent scopes offer illumination, and many are all but useless in low light.  Nothing mentioned thus far fits in that category. Countersniper does, and the old IOR scopes (great scopes) had terrible illumination - way too bright to use in low light.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 13:31

If the lowest setting of illumination can been seen with your naked eye in all but serious fading dusk light ... its way to bright and useless ...for the most part.  The trijicon accupoints work very well in low light.  The 2.5-10 is a great scope for that and no batteries are required.  My primary hunting rigs have accupoints on them.  If a scope is setup for use with Night Vision you know it will have settings low enough for serious low light shooting.  When your in the store and can see the illumination on the lowest setting ... just hand it back and walk away.   

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 14:28
agree with you guys 100%
I have ran a lot of scopes and most suck for hunting in low light

one quick test I do is cover the end of the scope with my palm and set to lowest power.
If I see ANY flare coming from inside the tube it's too bright for hunting

As the others pointed out, the Accupoints are done right as are the new Leupold Firedots and they have impressive glass

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 22:32
The 2 scopes I use & I think are fantastic Illum tools are Premire Hunter 3-15x50 & my S&B Zenith 3-12x50 with #9 FD.I agree with RC about the Valdada 's,I have the new 1.5-8x26 & even with a 11 position reostat it's way to bright but is still a great scope when not using the illum!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic