OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting Scope Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911alertme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting Scope Recommendation
    Posted: April/23/2012 at 12:48
I have the opportunity to get a very good deal on a purchase from a sporting goods store here in Canada.  Anyway, it is time for me to get a new rifle.  I have not yet decided on the exact rifle I will be getting but it will be something along the lines of 270, 280, 30-06, 7-08, 308 NON-MAGNUM.

Rifle usage: Big-Game rifle to be used on the open plains of Saskatchewan as well as in the bush in small clearings.  The last deer I shot was at 34 yards so short shots will happen.  Lets say a range of 25-250 yards.

Objectives:
- magnification of about 3-9 or maybe a little bigger (I know there are some 3.5-10 but I don't really think I want to get into a 4-12 but would consider it)
- decent glass
- hunting reticle

Constraints:
- store does not sell Vortex or Sightron
- prices generally go up whenever anything crosses the border so lets say a ballpark price of something that RETAILS around $600 USD

Random Ramblings:
I have been reading as much as I can on this site and it seems there are two scopes that meet the objectives and constraints, the Leupold VX3 and the Ziess Conquest.  The Minox looks attractive but it seems the reticle may be too thin for hunting.
I know that there are people on here that are quite loyal to each and I know I will likely get recommendations for each but I'm looking for a compelling reason to purchase one over the other OR SOMETHING ELSE.  I don't think a Swarovski or something a little more expensive is what I am looking for but if they are 1/3 better (they are 1/3 more expensive) then I would consider it.

Thank you very much for your time,
Spencer in Canada
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 12:57
Within that budget, I would get the Conquest 3-9X42 with either the Z-Plex or #4 reticle.  Both reticles have outer bars that are thick enough to work well during dawn and dusk.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 13:01
What Ted said or for less money and an excellent scope value, I'd consider the Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 with the FireFly reticle which, IMO, is an excellent hunting reticle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 13:07
The 2.5-8 Leupy VX-3 w/ duplex would be a fine choice for your uses as well.
-Matt
911alertme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911alertme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 13:09
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Doesn't look like I can get the 2.5-8x36 but can get the 3.5-10x40.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 13:47
I'd personally choose either the Elite or VX3.  I find their reticles easier to see to my 51 year old eyes.  The FX3 6x42 would work very well too.  
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 13:58
Originally posted by 911alertme 911alertme wrote:

Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Doesn't look like I can get the 2.5-8x36 but can get the 3.5-10x40.
If you are getting a long action rifle (270, 280, 06..) get the 3.5-10 Leupold if you are leaning towards the Leupold anyway. The 2.5-8 Leupold can present mounting issues (adjusting for eye relief) on long action rifles. I say this with the prejudice I have toward extension rings.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 13:59
FWIW, the thick posts on the Zeiss #4 are heavier than the Leupy heavy duplex, and the reticle is also darker black and contrasts better, since all Conquest reticles are etched.

The VX3 2.5-8X36 and 3.5-10X40 are certainly good choices too, though.  Optically, there's not a huge difference between VX3 and Conquest. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 16:20
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I'd personally choose either the Elite or VX3.  I find their reticles easier to see to my 51 year old eyes.  The FX3 6x42 would work very well too.  

This reticle works real good for my 53 yo eyes..

Edited by Roy Finn - April/23/2012 at 16:46
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 19:07
I love that one RD, a whole lot.  Rifle, here's what I know......the thin wires in my Conquest are much harder for me to see at dark thirty than the thin wires in the regular plex Leupy, and the Zplex is likened to the leupold wide duplex setup.  Not even close.  
911alertme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 911alertme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 20:59
Looks like it is down to the following:
Leupold VX-3 - 3.5-10x40 - Duplex Reticle - $680 - 12.6oz
Zeiss Conquest - 3-9x40 - Z-Plex - $530 - 15oz
Bushnell Elite - 3-9x40 - Firefly - $320 - 14.2oz (Short eye relief)

These are regular prices and will not be what I am paying but ratios should remain about the same.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 21:00
I like the Zeiss out of those.
-Matt
CDNHunter2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CDNHunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2012 at 22:40
i just picked up a tc venture preaditor in .308 c/w tc 4x12 scope. Great gun for the money. They warranty 1 in moa @ 100 yards. mine is doing more like 3/4 in or better (must be luck on my part not skill...lol) Seriously check one out and i am sure it will fill your needs....good hunting
Remember; A bad day fishin is better than a good day workin!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 12:19
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I love that one RD, a whole lot.  Rifle, here's what I know......the thin wires in my Conquest are much harder for me to see at dark thirty than the thin wires in the regular plex Leupy, and the Zplex is likened to the leupold wide duplex setup.  Not even close.  

Have you compared it to the Conquest #4 reticle I was referring to?  The #4 is bolder than the ZPlex.  Even when I can't see the thin crosshairs, at the distances I'm usually shooting at dark thirty anyway, the bold outer posts are sufficient to guide my eye to the center.  If it's too dark for even that, it's too dark to be shooting anyway.  The Conquest #4 outer posts are quite a bit thicker than any plex Leupold offers. 

If you're comparing the Leupold plex to the Zplex, probably one of the reasons you're able to pick up the center of the reticle in the Leupy is there's a narrower gap in the center of the reticle between the thick posts on the Leupy reticle than on the Zplex.  In other words, the thick posts extend further toward the center.
Ted

Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 13:45
A little over the $600 budget mentioned but well worth it ... Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 or 2.5-10
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 14:29
Originally posted by Sapper524 Sapper524 wrote:

A little over the $600 budget mentioned but well worth it ... Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 or 2.5-10

+1 on the Trijicon 3-9 X 40

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 14:35
have to agree on the accupoint recommendation
but also check out the Leupold VXRs

I would rate them very similiar for hunting

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 15:12
Rifle, I missed the part about the Zeiss #4.  Sorry about that.  I was talking plex vs plex.
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 17:10
Surprised the Meopta Meopra 3-9 didn't get mentioned...

The other scopes are all good choices too.  Look through every one of them, and pick the one that works the best for you.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2012 at 22:13
If you can stretch it a bit,take a long look at the Z3 Swaro's.The glass is better than all you are looking at!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic