OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting Scope Recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 06:46
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

If you can stretch it a bit,take a long look at the Z3 Swaro's.The glass is better than all you are looking at!

This, with a 4A reticle.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 07:12
Another vote for a Conquest with a #4 reticle.  My Sako .270 wears one and I have no problems picking it up later than I can legally shoot.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 09:40
The one I have is a Z3 3-9x36 with a 4a ret.SWFA selling at $749.I like it better than my Conquest & my Minox Z5's.I have it mounted on a .22lr so eye box magnification is not a priority!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
911alertme View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911alertme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 12:39
I have done some more research.  I checked prices at two large Canadian sporting goods stores (Cabelas Canada and Wholesale Sports) against two American places (Cabelas and SWFA).  It would appear that on a $500 scope we pay only slightly more than Americans.  All below scopes are in the range of 3-9x40.
Minox ZA5 same price both sides of border
Zeiss Conquest about $20 more in Canada.
Nikon Monarch about $50 more in Canada
Bushnell Elite about the same both sides

Now comes the huge kicker: Leupold VX-3 about $200 more in Canada!!!!

I know down in the states they are about the same price as the Zeiss so that makes them competitive with each other.  This is ludicrous pricing on the Leupold in Canada so unless when I go to look through them the Leupold is magically WAY WAY better to my eye, I have pretty much eliminated it.  Currently leaning toward the Zeiss but will also look through the Bushnell Elite, Nikon Monarch, and the Minox ZA5 as well as any other suggestions.  

Haven't heard much about the Minox with the MinoPlex reticle.  Seems like it would be decent for hunting.  Any other comments on this or other items would be appreciated.
dw0229 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 12:46
I would choose for the Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 with a #4 reticle @$399 (SWFA).Seriously close to Alpha glass at a fraction of the price, plus a killer #4 reticle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911alertme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 12:46
Is there no option to edit posts on this site?

To address some other things that have come up:
I will also look through the Trijicon and Swarovski scopes but the chances of one coming home with me is low.
No Meopta (Spelling?) scopes available.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 13:14
Originally posted by 911alertme 911alertme wrote:

Is there no option to edit posts on this site?

To address some other things that have come up:
I will also look through the Trijicon and Swarovski scopes but the chances of one coming home with me is low.
No Meopta (Spelling?) scopes available.

The edit function is under the post options in the upper right corner of your posting. If you can't use or don't see it after clicking on that option it must be due to your low post count.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 14:15
You will need 50 post in order to edit a post!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2012 at 21:14
Originally posted by jehu jehu wrote:

Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

If you can stretch it a bit,take a long look at the Z3 Swaro's.The glass is better than all you are looking at!

This, with a 4A reticle.

I have a Z3 3-9X36 with 4A reticle.  While I agree the Swaro 3-9X is better optically than the Conquest 3-9X, the Conquest #4 is a superior low light reticle than Swaro's version.  The thick posts on the Conquest #4 are quite a bit thicker than the thick posts on Swaro's #4.  In real world use, I doubt the Swaro's optical superiority (albeit not by a huge margin) would actually permit you to make any shot in any light condition that you couldn't also make with the Conquest, given the differences in reticle contrast.  The Z3 is lighter, shorter, nicer looking, and (IMO) slightly better optically.  I like it better than Conquest in every respect EXCEPT for reticle design and price.  When it comes to low light performance, reticle design is right up there at the top of the priority list with any optical characteristic.

Edited by RifleDude - April/25/2012 at 21:21
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Duke614 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duke614 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 21:41
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Originally posted by Sapper524 Sapper524 wrote:

A little over the $600 budget mentioned but well worth it ... Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 or 2.5-10

+1 on the Trijicon 3-9 X 40

+1 more...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 911alertme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 22:19
Having not been in to look yet, I am leaning toward the Minox ZA5.  It has a better range of magnification than the Conquest, I can get it cheaper, it is lighter than the Conquest, and I have read that the glass is comparable.

Still looking for any input on the Minox.  
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 09:46
The Minox is too new IMO to trust it yet on a hunt.  I'd spend a little more and get a proven commodity if it were me.  Great glass with Chinese adjustments just doesn't turn my crank in regards to the Minox.  
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 10:51
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Great glass with Chinese adjustments just doesn't turn my crank in regards to the Minox.  
I think most would agree on the great glass comment, i think the chinese adjustment comment was meant as a cheap shot. I wouldnt let JGRaiders opinion keep you from looking at a Minox. I have not owned one yet but i have heard plenty of good things about them from respected people. It would be at the top of my list if i was looking for another hunting scope in the less than $500 range. My current deer rifle wears a 3-9x40 trijicon and i have no complaints with it, but i dont think you can go wrong with anything you have mentioned. 

As far as the trusting it comment im not sure if i agree with that either. It doesnt matter if the design has been around for 2yrs or 20yrs, a person still needs to test out any new scope before trusting it to hunt with. 

Edited by lumberjack149 - April/30/2012 at 11:06
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 14:33
It wasn't a cheap shot at all, or not meant that way anyway.  The Minox scopes use Chinese adjustments and I'm not sure how well they'll hold up in the long run, that was my point.  Nothing more to it than that. 
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 17:00
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

It wasn't a cheap shot at all, or not meant that way anyway.  The Minox scopes use Chinese adjustments and I'm not sure how well they'll hold up in the long run, that was my point.  Nothing more to it than that. 
Where did you hear this?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 17:52
From Scott at Liberty Optics who was at the SHOT show last year when they were introduced.  
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 17:59
Ahh... Well Scott and I have one thing in common, neither of us know where Minox get the parts for there scopes! 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2012 at 21:54
I have the minox in 3-9x40 and 4-20x50. The glass is superb. The tracking is flawless. Some say that the clicks are less firm but thats a personal preference. I shoot one hole and dial the caculated elevation and windage and it is zeroed. Done. The 3-9 actually tracked better than my conqest of the same range. They track as well as my kahles and look almost as good.

Edited by jladams - April/30/2012 at 22:06
Jack
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 06:51
Im not sure where the minox is made, only thing i can find is the pacific rim. To quote ILya from one of his reviews from a couple years ago... "Minox, reportedly, has German glass. Mechanicals are sourced somewhere in the Pacific Rim (not sure where). Assembly is in the US."
Gillettehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gillettehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 14:13
I have both the Minox  and the Conquest. I like the magnification range and 3 stadia lines on the Minox. It does seem to have a smaller eyebox. That is my biggest complaint. Have had the Conquests for 6-7 years. Still love them. Good scopes for the money.
  Never have taken them out and looked at them side by side. Need to do that and see how I feel about the clarity of each.  Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic