OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My vote for Next Super Sniper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juslearnin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My vote for Next Super Sniper
    Posted: April/26/2012 at 21:40
So, I just ordered a couple of 1-6 SSs today.  These will go with my 5-20s.  It seems like you have the top and bottom ends wrapped up.

How about a 2-12 pretty please.  Something where you try to keep the weight down a little, and how about a "christmas tree" reticle, something like a horus or GAP of your own design.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2012 at 17:33
Originally posted by juslearnin juslearnin wrote:

How about a 2-12 pretty please.  Something where you try to keep the weight down a little, and how about a "christmas tree" reticle, something like a horus or GAP of your own design.

I was thinking the same thing today.

Eagle    
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2012 at 18:25
I wouldn't mind an illuminated verison of the 3-9.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2012 at 18:32
How about a SWFA Hunting Series of scopes.....?  ?  ?
rd7fox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rd7fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2012 at 18:47
I'll 2nd that idea (lighter hunting version)
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2012 at 19:27
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

How about a SWFA Hunting Series of scopes.....?  ?  ?

Now we are talk'n.Wink

2x15 mag
10 oz.
10 inch
32 mm
built in lens covers plus some kind of rain coating
dials

FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2012 at 19:50
Yes, a few details of what the next one is please!

Length?

Weight?

Obj. size?

Mag. range?

I suppose it's too much to ask that you devulge some details, before the 4000, 5000 coupons expire?

I'm thinking that the next one will be "the one" for me.  That said, it's hard to pass up the current coupons, which don't come around that often.

I need another scope bought, mounted and zeroed before this fall's deer season.  I don't want to buy another 3-9 or the too heavy 5-20 for a .308 deer rifle........ but I may be forced to if there isn't any info. coming???????????

Let's hope that SWFA's business time line, lines up ahead of the fall hunt.  There's lots of rifles out there in need of glass before the weather turns cold and the rut starts!

Fine by me if it follows the tactical line as long as it's lighter than the 5-20, but more than the 3-9.

What say you Chris?
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2012 at 21:01
What Roy Finn said.

4X24. 3-9X40 or so. Medium-heavy reticle. Low, capped turrets.

"Super Stalker"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2012 at 22:58
Humm, Super Stalker has a nice ring to it...

I was thinking something along these lines

- 2-12x42
- low profile hunting style turrets (maybe similar to Leupold's CDS or pop-up/pull up like the Bushnell 6500
- 30mm
- 16-18 ounces at most or close
- super durable and repeatable adjustments
- and for the love of God, a bold enough plex reticle for dim light hunting (screw the complex ranging reticles)
- approx. 4 inches of eye relief
- 2nd focal plane reticle location please
- HD glass would be a nice touch but not necessary so long as it is fully multi-coated

Edited by Roy Finn - April/27/2012 at 23:06
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2012 at 23:46
Heck, I'd take that in a 3-12x42...with an SS price it would be a no-brainer.
Reaction time is a factor...
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2012 at 00:52
Forget what I said about a 3-9X40. Make it a 1.5-6X32.
Rifleslinger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rifleslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2012 at 15:59
My first choice would be a 3-15x50 Illuminated SS.  If a 5x zoom is too much, 3-12 would be acceptable.  The mil-quad reticle would be perfect. 

If that's too much to ask, howzabout an illumated version of the 3-9?
http://artoftherifle.blogspot.com/
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 05:03
  How about something for us bench rest guys?
 30 or 36x
 dot with somewhere between a fine and medium cross hair.
 15 oz.
 no illumination
froggy
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 08:34
I would like a fixed 6x 42, with a German #1 or #4 reticle.  Keep it matte and 30mm.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 09:22
How 'bout any hunting scope Yippee
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 10:14
2-20x56 or 3-30x56
HD glass
reticle choices similar to Night Force but different ("tactical", hunting, and target) with MOA/MOA reticle/adjustment options
Built-in laser ranging w/
1/8MOA adjustments with "force drive" for making large changes in elevation (could conceivably have a chip driven function that would automatically range and adjust)
Built in windage calculator/display
illuminated w/ NV feature w/manually adjustable auto light level sensing
34mm tube
Argon purged
there are some features once only available mechanically that can now be accomplished internally  but would discuss directly rather than here
motion sensing w/ piezoelectric damping

That would be MY suggestion for a really radical new scope with all around functionality. 
We have the technology...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 10:26
Oh, forgot... under $700 and full warranty for at least three generations.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2012 at 14:01
I would keep it in the 4-5x power ratio so maybe a 3-12, 4-16, 3-15 range and have it in 40 and 50 mm obj.  A GAP style reticle and something under 20 ounces would be fantastic.  Low profile turrets, at least on the sides would help with hunting conditions packing, etc. 

I would buy a couple!

Scot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic