OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VXII VS VX III for short range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VXII VS VX III for short range
    Posted: May/03/2012 at 15:13
Hello,

I am deciding between the VX II  3-9x 40mm  and the VXIII  2.5-8 36mm on a 22 LR
I am mostly going to use in dirty woods for partridge, so sometime there might not be a lot of light, So a 40MM would be better. But then again these birds are sometimes very close so a 2.5zoom might be better.  What should I consider? and what would some of you purchase... also considering the VXIII has a better lense coating.

thanks

ken
Captoro
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 19:37
the coating and other quality issues will make more differancethan a few mm
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 22:06
Actually I would select neither since you are using a 22LR. Those are both centerfire rifle scopes and are probably parallax set for about 100yds. I would be looking at a rimfire scope that is parallax set for about 50yds. And if you go with one with an AO or side focus you might get down to 10yds. You need to check to see how close they focus. You might get by with one of the scopes you listed if you only use them on very low powers, but I think there are much better choices for a 22LR.

A buddy of mine just purchased this Leupold. And it is very nice.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x33-VX-2-Rimfire-EFR-Riflescope-P51833.aspx

This one is about $50 less.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x33-VX-2-Rimfire-EFR-Riflescope-P51834.aspx

Also another good choice would be a Weaver rimfire scope. And their is a rimfire section here that would give you some other good ideas.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 08:18

If you find parallax to be a real issue for you.  Leupold can reset it at the factory for a fee.  Some people freak out of a bit of parallax; others never notice. YMMV  The VX-3/111 has a clearer grade of glass. 

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

captoro View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 09:12
At the moment I have have  a bushnel banner. The parallax is pretty bad , the cross hair moves like crazy, I viewed the  VXII and VXIII mentionned above and they seem to be good scope focusing at close range was not an issue. but at 12 feet the VXIII at 2.5x does offer a wider view which I liked. The VXIII also site lower then the VXII 40mm. I think I'll go back to the store and have a look again lol
Captoro
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic