OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sighting in a Mil/Mil Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunsIsFuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2015 at 09:36

Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

Instead of dialing in your windage, because the wind is varying, just measure it with your scope and hold however far off your splash in the dirt was to the side of the target in the opposite direction.

That's called Kentucky Windage. Bucky 

sabredoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabredoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2016 at 13:22
I just recently purchased a Mil/Mill scope and have been trying to figure things out. I'm a little dyslexic with numbers and I just kinda have to write things down and see'em before my mind will grasp the concept. Here is what confused me:

What is a mil? "Well it's 3.6 inches at 100 yds or 3 ft at 1000 yds." Seemed kinda arbitrary to me. And as I say I gotta sometimes figure things out myself. So here's what I found out. Something I couldn't find out here or in any Google search I did. Maybe it's too obvious. Maybe I didn't look in the right places. But anyway, here goes for the mil/mil virgins.

A mil. is not based on yds. It's based on meters. I mil. is 1 meter @ 1000 meters. 1 mil is 10 centimeters at 100 meters. Which makes those 1/10 mil clicks make so much better sense. 

So save yourself a headache and set your rangefinder to meters.  

You can still estimate range easily. Fer instance. A six foot tall man will be just under 2 mils at 1000 meters. 1.892 mils exactly. So, just try to measure without his TurbanBig Grin

Oh. And when you check your ballistic charts forget inches and just go with mils. You can still read your charts in yds if you prefer,  but read windage and elevation compensation in mils.

Also, if any of this is wrong then please delete. I am a mil. virgin after all.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2016 at 13:35
Or u can just forgot about making it about linear measurment at all. Mils and moa are angular measurement. Once u can get past tring to make everything linear it all becomes even simpler
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2016 at 13:41
sabredoc, mils, like MOA, are an measurement of angle. While it can be easier to translate them into a linear measurement at a specific distance using metric units, mils are not based on the metric system.

You are correct in stating that it's better to forget linear units (inches) and use the angular units (mils/MOA) to make adjustments.
Reaction time is a factor...
sabredoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabredoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2016 at 14:54
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

sabredoc, mils, like MOA, are an measurement of angle. While it can be easier to translate them into a linear measurement at a specific distance using metric units, mils are not based on the metric system.

You are correct in stating that it's better to forget linear units (inches) and use the angular units (mils/MOA) to make adjustments.

While I do understand the "angular" vs. "Linear" thing, I think, practically shooters use the adjustments to make linear adjustments. I guess....

I mean if you're say, .5 mil high at 500 yds you'd adjust .5 mil which is 5 clicks. Each click being 1cm. Angularly you adjust the reticle upward which would mean to be on target your barrel downward. Practically, it doesn't really matter because you are on target?

If mil. is not based on the metric system then why does a mil just happen to be 1 meter/1000 meters. 10 centimeters at 100 meters with each click just happening to be 1 cm at 100 meters?

Please don't take offense, I'm just trying to learn here.
sabredoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabredoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2016 at 15:05
Crap. 5 centimeters at 100 meters. 25 centimeters at 500 yards. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2016 at 15:47
That's the problem, you need to stop thinking about clicks, inches, centimeters etc.  If you take a shot and you can see with your mil reticle you were .5 mils low.  Then you make the adjustment for .5 mils and shoot again.  There is just really no need to bring linear into it.  .5 mils at 100 yards is .5 mils at 500 yards and still .5 mils at 1000 yards etc.  When you bring linear into it, then you have to start figuring, 1 inch at 100 yards, 5 inches at 500 yards etc.  Its just a whole lot easier to forget that part of it. 

Thats one great thing about a lot of scope manufacturers today.  They are making scopes with matching mil or moa adjustments and reticles.  Makes it so there is almost no thinking about it.  Everything is just super easy. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2016 at 15:56
Originally posted by sabredoc sabredoc wrote:

If mil. is not based on the metric system then why does a mil just happen to be 1 meter/1000 meters. 10 centimeters at 100 meters with each click just happening to be 1 cm at 100 meters?

They really are not related.  It just works out that way.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_mil

sabredoc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabredoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2016 at 17:00
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

That's the problem, you need to stop thinking about clicks, inches, centimeters etc.  If you take a shot and you can see with your mil reticle you were .5 mils low.  Then you make the adjustment for .5 mils and shoot again.  There is just really no need to bring linear into it.  .5 mils at 100 yards is .5 mils at 500 yards and still .5 mils at 1000 yards etc.  When you bring linear into it, then you have to start figuring, 1 inch at 100 yards, 5 inches at 500 yards etc.  Its just a whole lot easier to forget that part of it. 

Thats one great thing about a lot of scope manufacturers today.  They are making scopes with matching mil or moa adjustments and reticles.  Makes it so there is almost no thinking about it.  Everything is just super easy. 

Yep. I appreciate all the help. Maybe I can sleep tonight! Believe it or not I woke up last night thinking about this.  
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2016 at 18:38
Hey Doc, where do you shoot here in the heart of Dixie?

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2016 at 21:08
The 10x42 M.D.SS I got has mil reticle and 1/4moa turrets so it is more complicated for me. Something I REALLY like about the 1~4x24 SS Classic I got. . Mil reticle let mil turrets. In the future all scopes I get other than for a heavy rifle. Will be mil/mil. The extra math is debilitating for me. But . The article or op is super. I'm looking forward to a mil quad, 3~9x42 or the 3~15x42 MQ.
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic