OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help? New Flat Top 6.8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help? New Flat Top 6.8
    Posted: May/14/2012 at 13:12
Hey Guys,

Got a new 6.8 flat top that needs optics. I'm getting a headache looking at all the possibilities and trying to keep the different specs straight for comparison.

Budget? $500ish.

Use? Sitka Blacktails in SE AK, Caribou and maybe Moose.

I should mention my eyes are getting older and some reticles seem busy or cluttered if that makes sense.

I appreciate your time and input.

Ken
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 13:19
Little more than $500.00 but the Trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 is my recommendation.

Bold reticle, with a fine aiming point, decent glass, double tough, etc

Eagle
ohtreethirtyone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 13:23
Eagle, why 3-9?
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 13:36
I hunt in all types of terrains such as river bottoms, woods, fields, etc and I also hunt under a full moon.

My shots will vary from 50 to 500 yards and the 3-9 fits me well without having to pay for the extra things I don't need.

My eyesight is so so and with the bold reticle and the fine tritruim dot, it stands out in low light, brush, etc

Just the right combo for me on my 6.8 16" and 5.56 too

http://swfa.com/Trijicon-3-9x40-Accu-Point-Rifle-Scope-P12873.aspx

Eagle

Edited by EAGLE - May/14/2012 at 13:42
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 13:42
I had a Bushnell 4200 3-9x on my 6.8 for a while.  I thought it was a good fit as well.  3-9x is a good power range for a lot of hunting situations.  The 3-9x Trijicon would be sweet.

Now I have a 1.5-6x40 on my 6.8.  I really like that as well.  I love having the 1.5x on the bottom end, and 6x is enough for the distances that round is capable of.

I think a 3-9xish from Bushnell Elite, Vortex Viper, Sightron Big Sky, Leupold VX3, Trijicon Accupoint, Zeiss Conquest would all fit your needs well.  Just pick the one that has the reticle and other features you want and go from their. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 13:48

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 13:53
Been eye balling the VX6 2-12 illuminated so that might be my next scope. My perfect scope would be 1-12 illuminated but for now, The 3-9 works for me and I agree that the 4200 is very nice scope for the $ and my 700 in .308 wears one and I have yet found the need to replace it.

Eagle
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 14:03
I've got a 2-7 Redfield Revolution on my mini 6.8. I seem to favor keeping it at 4x.

This time around, I've been really considering an illuminted reticle. Think it might be a real nice to have down deer hunting in SE Alaska.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 14:07
The Vx-Rs have been getting good reviews.  http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-R-Riflescopes-C3458.aspx 

Those using them say the illumintaion system is excellent. 

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 14:07
There is a good deal on a 2.5-10 Vortex PST w/ Illuminated reticle on the sample list.  Fits your uses and budget well.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 14:16
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

The Vx-Rs have been getting good reviews.  http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-R-Riflescopes-C3458.aspx 

Those using them say the illumintaion system is excellent. 

I've been reading every review I can on them.

Sounds like a good scope for the money.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 14:18
I have been hunting with a 68 for about 5 years
with the right ammo it is good to about 400 yards

I run min for more close in use, primarily hogs.
I run a 1.5-6x42 S&B on mine
my brother uses a VXR 2-7 and it is a really nice scope and compares shockingly close even in very low light.
I ran a 3-9 Accupoint when I first got it
great scope as well

the VX-6 1-6 or 2-12 would be good choices as well dependant upon your magnification needs

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 14:30
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I have been hunting with a 68 for about 5 years
with the right ammo it is good to about 400 yards

I run min for more close in use, primarily hogs.
I run a 1.5-6x42 S&B on mine
my brother uses a VXR 2-7 and it is a really nice scope and compares shockingly close even in very low light.
I ran a 3-9 Accupoint when I first got it
great scope as well

the VX-6 1-6 or 2-12 would be good choices as well dependant upon your magnification needs

Was kinda hoping you might reply. Read your reviews on the VX-R's.

The VXR 2-7 is a consideration. I like the reticle.

Most shots will be 300 or less due to terrain. Except for playing on the range.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 15:39
the 2-7 VXR is about an ideal 6.8 hunting scope

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 10:59
FWIW, I snagged the Trijicon 1x24 German #4 with a LaRue Mount off the Sample List a few weeks back.

My first Trijicon purchase. Very nice.

I'd also mention, that SWFA had it listed as a DEMO B, but it looked new in the box to me.

Great deal for the scope & mount and I couldn't be happier.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 11:02
That'd be a 1x4-24.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2012 at 21:10
cool man, enjoy it

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic