OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Alterations to my Zeiss Conquest possible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alterations to my Zeiss Conquest possible?
    Posted: May/27/2012 at 14:47
Hi all,
I have a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x56mm with the FFP #8 reticle.

I've recently become interested in long-range practical style shooting. I'm using a Remington 700 AAC-SD .308 with the scope mentioned mounted.  The glass is bright, adjustments true, and return to zero has been flawless.  I do now though realize the need for target-style turrets and a mil-dot or similar reticle.  Does anyone know if Zeiss can replace the reticle and put 1/10 mil turrets on my Conquest? I emailed custmoer service a couple days ago but have not yet heard back.

It seems to have plenty of elevation adjustment to get me out to 1000yds. I went "up" 110 clicks the other day on it and it did not stop so I think that should be plenty.  I adjusted back down and it shot POA at 100 yards.  I have to say I'm definitely tired of counting clicks already...

Can I turn this into a serviceable long-range optic or should I be trying to sell this one and find a Nightforce, Leupold, or other high-end unit? 

Thanks!
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 19:06

Zeiss customer service # 1(800)441-3005

Im sure for a price they can change the reticle and add target style turrets but i believe it maybe better to
A) get a new scope that has all of the options you are looking for and keep the conquest you already have
B) sell conquest buy scope that has all your options
C) Trade in your old zeiss to SWFA http://www.samplelist.com/tradeinform.aspx and get a scope from SWFA or from the Sample List

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 20:54
If you were only after the target turrets I would send it to Zeiss and have that done the fact that you want to replace both the reticle and the turrets makes me tend to think it is better to trade it in toward the scope you want to own.   http://www.samplelist.com/TradeInForm.aspx
Would this be out of your price range if you traded your current scope toward it?
US Optics 3.2-17x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope US Optics 3.2-17x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOSN3G
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#1 M40 Style 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Parallax Control
$2,424.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
seth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 06:34
Thanks for the input guys!
Not sure about the USO only because of its overall size...I've been looking really hard at both the Nightforce NSX F1 and the Premier Reticles LIght Tactical scopes. My rifle only has a 20 inch barrel and the USO in over 17 inches long. Both the Nightforce and Premier are a bit shorter (shorter even that the Zeiss I have now) which I would prefer.
Along with the Zeiss I also have a Minox ZA3 that I'm not using...maybe I can trade them both to SWFA and get a Premier.    
seth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 22:09
Well, Zeiss says the reticle cannot be changed and they don't recommend changing to target turrets for this particular model. Guess I need to find a new one.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 23:45
trade it on an SS 5-20
seth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 13:53
Originally posted by jjrgr21 jjrgr21 wrote:

trade it on an SS 5-20

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not sure I need quite that much scope...I sure wish SS would make a 3-12x or 4-16x. That would be more up my alley.  As well as long range shooting this is also my deer rifle. Most of my hunting shots are 100 yards or less in pretty tight, wooded areas. It's nice to have something down around 3x as the low end for that situation.

I've also considered the Leupold M4 ER/T 4.5-14x50 but I think even 4.5x may be pushing it for the bottom end.

I need to just suck it up and spring for a Premier or Nightforce in 3-15x...pricey though!!Whacko
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 14:03
If you can swing the Premier Light Tactical, I think that would be the way to go, to replace your Conquest. JMHO.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 14:08
The weaver tactical in 3-15 gets decent enough reviews... just saying
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic