OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

GRSC/Bushnell/SWFA - 1x6 Optics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattbw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GRSC/Bushnell/SWFA - 1x6 Optics
    Posted: May/28/2012 at 10:31
Gents,

Looking to add a 1x6 scope to my Colt 6920. I've been doing some research and have narrowed my choices down to the Bushnell Elite Tactical, GRSC and SWFA SS. I also looked at the Leupold Mark 1.5x5, but for the money, I think bumping up to the 6x is worth it.

Reviews on the three are somewhat limited. Has anyone had a chance to actually compare/field test these three models? If so, what are your thoughts/opinions?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 13:04
Here is a link to a review on the SS.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 18:01
I think ILya is probably one of the only people who has seen all three scopes (but not at the same time).  You'll just need to wait for more comparisons and reviews.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2012 at 10:01
This becomes a bit of a tough call, since I have not seen the three side-by-side.

I have a suspicion that all three are based on the same core design, but naturally each maker adds their own accents to the scopes.

Naturally, a lot comes down to what reticle you want since in scopes like this, reticle design is incredibly important.

As a general purpose scope, I think SWFA SS 1-6x24 is probably the best one for the money out of the bunch.  Bushnell's scope with BTR-2 reticle is aimed at the same crowd, but it is more expensive.

GRSC and Bushnell with BTR-1 are really aimed at a specific rifle/cartridge combination since the reticle is calibrated that way.

As far as rangefinding goes, GRSC reticle is the best for "quick and dirty" ranging on human targets.

SWFA SS is probably the best option of the three for precision ranging, although as I said Bushnell's BTR-2 is not bad either.

As far as speed at low magnification goes, this comes down to personal preference, for the most part.  I suspect that when your batteries are working all three should be quite fast.

If your battery dies, the SWFA SS will stand out more than the other scopes here at 1x, so it will be more intuitive to use.

Lastly, if you prefer to dial in your shots rather than use the reticle for holdover, I think SWFA SS is the way to go.  Both Bushnell and GRSC are really designed with reticle holdover in mind.

My apologies that I can not be of more help, but these are somewhat similar scopes and without looking at them side by side, there is not much more that I can tell you.

ILya
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2012 at 02:28
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have a suspicion that all three are based on the same core design, but naturally each maker adds their own accents to the scopes.

I can't speak to the similarities between the Bushy and GRSC, but I can say neither their mechanical or optical design is the same as the SS.  The differences should be noticeable when you get them side by side.  Also note the weight difference and all that that implies.     
luckybaer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckybaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2012 at 18:15
Good heavens, when will this thing (SS 1-6x) be available?  Anything more specific than the order page yet?Big Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic