OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1st day with new M70 7mm rem mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/08/2012 at 08:26
Sounds good.  Looking foward to the report back. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 17:18
Here's what the great Gale McMillan said about barrel break in:
http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

Isn't it funny how just an 1/8" can make a big difference in scope placement.
You're gonna have to get us some pics of that new rig!

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2012 at 20:56
Hey sorry guys, it got real busy around here the last few week and I haven't been home much on the weekends to shoot it again. I'm really looking forward to the next session and just being able to shoot it. I have the Federal Premium 160grn Nosler Accubonds to try and can't wait to see what it will do. Hopefully I can do my part.

I do have a question though. Should I just set the scope on 4.5x (lowest setting) or should I zero it on what power the Ziess balistic calculator tells me what will maket the subtensions the most accurate?

I'll get pics soon.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 21:54
You zero the scope at 200 yards. Power setting doesn't matter while zeroing, just in determining the range. There will be one magnification setting which will be accurate with a particular load and a different setting with a different load.
Many have found that once the scope is zeroed at 200 yards, the power setting can be "tuned" at greater ranges- hopefully 400 yds, as each rifle will perform just a little differently. For instance, you might need to adjust your settings from e.g. 10.5x to 11x to compensate for all the variables with yur particular setup which differ from Zeiss' optics program.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 08:46
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Here's what the great Gale McMillan said about barrel break in:
http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html

Isn't it funny how just an 1/8" can make a big difference in scope placement.
You're gonna have to get us some pics of that new rig!

I've never been a fan of breaking in a barrel.  Never done it, never had any issues. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 05:10
I break in all my barrels, have some very accurate rifles. Granted, my evidence is all anecdotal.

Break in is heavily dependant on whether the barrel is factory or hand-lapped custom. For factory, i highly recommend break-in, voodoo notwithstanding.

And nothing is as good as a 300WM, dammit.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 22:16

I haven't forgotten about this thread, the summer filled up fast and i haven't taken the time to get back out to the range. Well that changed... tonight.

Left work at 4 p.m, and headed to the range with my dad and boy. The weather has been hotter than a SOB around here and it settled down to 84 today, so not to bad.

Anyway, last night I bedded the rings and mounted the Conquest 4.5-14x44 for about the 3rd time, but it was ready to go. I took the Federal 160grn accubonds and the Winchester 175grn Powerpoints for testing. I was surprised, but  the gun definitely liked the 175 grainer the best. I don't have the camera so I can't show you until this weekend but I was getting close to 3" groups with the 160grns so needless to say I wasn't too thrilled.

But them it happened, I loaded the 175's and shot a 1/2" group. Probably my best ever, with any rifle. Two holes were touching, actually overlapping by 1/16". I couldn't believe it, maybe it was a fluke, only time will tell. But what a relief-there is hope yet. I was thinking about getting a box of 150grn Power Points to compare, but I don't know if its necessary. Any thoughts?

On a side note, I also found that my Ruger M77 .243 like the Winchester 100grn Power Points better that the Hornady Superformance SST 100 grn. Go figure.

I swear, as soon as my better half returns with the camera I will post pics of the rigs and the target.

Nevlotz-if your still watching this, I like my M70.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2012 at 08:14
Sounds like your barrel may like heavier pills the best
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2012 at 08:33

I haven't found a rifle yet that doesn't like Power Point ammo.  My .270 shoots the 130's so good I'll probably not reload for it.  Besides.  What if I did and couldn't beat or match the PP's.    Shocked

I wonder how far off the rifling the 160's are.  I know yrs back a friend had a 7mag Savage he couldn't get to group with certain factory ammo(got it in my notes SOMEWHERE).  When he showed up he had 6rds left.  I pulled the bullets,equally distributed the powder,and after measureing the OAL to the lands I reseated the bullets .030 off.  3 shots gave him a 1/2" group.  Savage's were known to be long throated back then.  Don't know about now.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 13:43
Is there any reason to look any further? I don't know what the B.C of the 175grn Power Points is, or how well they will perform at exended ranges, say out to about 400 yards or so. Is it a good bullet to kill deer with?

Any other thoughts?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 21:04

Here's some info on that 175gr PP ammo.

Oh I'm sure it will kill a deer plus anything else you pull the trigger on.  And beings it's in the heavy for caliber catagory (thicker jacket) it will not be as distructive on the meat. I know a friend who used nothing but 175gr Rem ammo in his 7mag.  As far as long range performance goes again I'd think it would do fine.  Users of the .30-06 have been getting the job done with 180's for many yrs and you'd have bit more horsepower to boot.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2012 at 22:28
I finally got the pics uploaded onto the p.c tonight. That's the set-up, so far the jury is still out on performance, but I'm optimistic.

The groups in the upper and lower right as well as the the lower left are from my Ruger M77 .243. The upper right is a hand load a friend tried, the lower right are Hornady 100 grn SST's, and the lower left are from Winchester P.P 100 grn. (I only had two left.)

The string (upper 4 shots) to the left of the main target are out of the 7mag with Federal 160grn Accubonds and the 3 shot cluster is from the 175 grn Power Points. The upper left are also the power points, however I was messing with the scope some on that group.

I ordered a box of Federal 165 grn boat tail soft points and also a box of HSM 168 grn VLD's to experiment with. Hopefull I'll get that done this weekend.

I know not very many shots yet so all the findings are preliminary but there is hope. The target is set up on 1" squares, just FYI.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 21:25
Here's the best group by far out of the 7 mag. These are .168 grn Berger VLD's loaded by HSM. I wish I could take credit for it, but I will give credit where credit is do. It goes to my dad. It was shot  from a cold bore, at 100yds, off a bench on a beautiful day. It measures about .330. Maybe a little luck, but I don't care, I was stoked to see both my rifle and my pops shoot like that. I have shoty several sub 1" groups out of it, but nothing like this.

Hunting season is looking good.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 22:04
Good looking group!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2012 at 08:26
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Good looking group!
\

Thanks!
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2012 at 21:19
The 7 mag definetly likes the 168 grain bergers. If I concentrate its a 3/4 moa gun at 100 yds all day long. For a hunting rifle it is more than adequate.

I also found that my .243 likes the cheap fenderal 100 grain soft point but found they grouped almost 3" low for other factory ammo. I tried some Hornady 100 gran BTSP's and it liked them also, easily 1 moa at 100 yds, so it looks like I'm set on those two rifles now. All thats left is for a tasty critter to wander in a little too close.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2022 at 21:41
I’m going to resurrect this thread.

Unfortunately the hunting opportunities that I purchased this setup for only lasted a few years and I have never taken a deer with it (I’ve used my TC Omega during muzzleloader season to take my deer meat). Point being, the rifle definitely likes the 168gn Berger VLD by HSM the best. This has been proven over and over again over the years. Even though I haven’t hunted it, I still shoot it. Anyway, my son may need to use it for deer season and I would like to have a different bullet other than the VLD that it would shoot as well as it does the VLD. I’m just a little concerned on what the VLD would do if it hits a shoulder.
My question is does anyone have a suggestion as to what to try. 
I have put a host of different loads through it over the years but nothing preformed like the Berger’s. I wished I could remember all the boxes I have bought, but it has been too. many years. I do remember trying both 150 and 175 PowerPoints, about 4 boxes of Hornady, a couple federals and the Remington corelokt.
Thanks for any help!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2022 at 22:27
Well I've blown away a few deer with a .30-30....so I'm sure a 7 Mag will do the job......I have also shot deer with a 270 (one shot is all you need) and 300 Win Mag (one shot is all you need)....so just grab a box of shells and don't worry about the small stuff...

Visit the Ed Show
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2022 at 07:49
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Well I've blown away a few deer with a .30-30....so I'm sure a 7 Mag will do the job......I have also shot deer with a 270 (one shot is all you need) and 300 Win Mag (one shot is all you need)....so just grab a box of shells and don't worry about the small stuff...

Don't pet the sweaty stuff and don't sweat the petty stuffBucky
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2022 at 08:26
Go drink some brandy.....out in the bush.....with some hot coke....  Yippee

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic