OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Range scope for my M4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullmetalredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range scope for my M4
    Posted: June/03/2012 at 16:20
Long time listener, first time poster here.  I'm considering buying a scope to slap on my M4 for the sole purpose of having fun at the local range--essentially just paper punching anywhere from 50 to 250 yards. I currently have an Aimpoint H1 and a Trijicon TR24G (#4) to repel enemy invaders with, but for target shooting from the bench I'm looking for a little more magnification.  I've done some forum research and have a couple scopes I'm considering, but first wanted to see what some of the more experienced shooters recommend.  My M4 is not a precision rifle (probably about a 2-3 MOA gun), but I really enjoy shooting it from the bench at paper targets and believe a higher mag scope that would allow me to see the holes will add to the enjoyment (no, I don't own a spotter).  I'd be interested in hearing your recommendations or from anybody else who enjoys shooting higher mag scopes on M4/AR15 guns.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 17:26
Welcome to The OT. 

Do you have any of those damn....budget restrictions, my friend? Wink

I'm going to suggest that you consider one of the SS scopes that are out there. Either the 10x, rear focus, or the 16x. 
Doesn't sound like you'll be ranging and milling, so these scopes may serve you well. I use a 10x SS for load development on my AR middy. LOVE IT! 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
fullmetalredhead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullmetalredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 18:44
Thanks, cheaptrick, I think the SS10x42 is a great suggestion--it's one of the ones I'm strongly considering.  How clearly are you able to discern .223 holes on paper at 100 and 200 yards?  I love the classic mil dot reticle on that scope (and think I would prefer it to the one on the forthcoming newer mil-mil version).  I could probably spend up to $600, but really, if it's not really going to increase the fun-factor proportionally, I'd like to keep it under this limit.  After all, I'm not going to be precision shooting out past 250 yards with a sniper rifle or anything like that.

BTW, where are you in North Carolina?  I'm on the coast, near Wilmington!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 19:03
I live outside of Charlotte. Nice area, Wilmington. 

I can see .223 holes, but I use Shoot N C targets a lot, these days, due to eye sight going South. 
You may want to consider the 16x SS, though the farther up the magnification ladder you go up, the more mirage comes into play from heat dispersion from the barrel and those hot, humid NC days.
Here's mine, in one configuration.

Do you already possess a scope mount?     

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 19:45
Might also consider the new 12x that is coming out this summer...And it has mil adjustments, and the new mil-quad reticle! And all for the same price as the original...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullmetalredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 19:54
I like using those shoot n see targets as well.  I can usually see hits at 100 yards with my TR24G on 4x, but it can be tough on regular targets.  I've got a Larue LT104 quick detach with 30mm rings.  I believe the centerline sits 1.5 inches above the rail--not sure if it would fit the SS10x42 or not.  The centerline on your mount looks to be 2+ inches above the rail.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullmetalredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 19:56
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Might also consider the new 12x that is coming out this summer...And it has mil adjustments, and the new mil-quad reticle! And all for the same price as the original...

I agree that would be the perfect magnification.  I did some searching around the forum though and there doesn't seem to be any definite idea as to when these will actually be available for purchase.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 20:03
Well rest assured they are coming. As far as the exact date, all I can recommend is call SWFA.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 20:45
Originally posted by fullmetalredhead fullmetalredhead wrote:

I like using those shoot n see targets as well.  I can usually see hits at 100 yards with my TR24G on 4x, but it can be tough on regular targets.  I've got a Larue LT104 quick detach with 30mm rings.  I believe the centerline sits 1.5 inches above the rail--not sure if it would fit the SS10x42 or not.  The centerline on your mount looks to be 2+ inches above the rail.

Long since replaced that mount with a Bobro. Yes, the Larue should work great. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 21:02
Hey Wilmington huh,  I'm down in Shallotte. 

Might wanna look at the 16X SS being its just for bench shooting
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullmetalredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 21:22
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Hey Wilmington huh,  I'm down in Shallotte. 

Might wanna look at the 16X SS being its just for bench shooting

Wow, you're right around the corner.  I actually just moved here 2 months ago.  Know of any good ranges in area worth checking out?  Seems like one has to know somebody to get into some of the better (private) ones...

I have to admit I have no objective way to choose one magnification over the other, as I don't have much experience with higher mag scopes.  But yes, this will be solely for bench shooting at paper for fun.  Cheaptrick mentioned susceptibility to mirage as magnification increases which is something to consider in this region.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 21:26
Ive used a 16x for load development for a while but recently sold it.  Never had much mirage to deal with.  As far as ranges, can't say much, I shoot at my place and family land.  There is one in Southport, Ant Hill?  I think.  They host a 3 gun match every 5th sunday. 
I'll see what other ranges some friends know of.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullmetalredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2012 at 21:42
Yeah that's one of the private ranges I looked into.  The various matches are open to all, but other than that the range is for members only.  Perhaps I'll go check the place out on one of these match days and see if I can make a few connections.

Good to know your experience with the mirage issue.  Perhaps it's not too big of a deal.  16x is definitely worth considering.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 07:39
The few times I've been out there on 3 gun days there have been several members that would approach me wanting me to come out and shoot on other days.  I imagine if you just go out, be respectful, and show good safety handling you'll be invited back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 07:45
I too think the 16x SS will serve you well. 

Might get a little wavy on hot days, but you can get it and then send it to me to use when you slap the Aimpoint back on her! 
Big Grin
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2012 at 16:04
If you were going to be doing anything serious with that M4 I'd say consider the SS but you're punching paper and that's a lot of money for punching paper with a 2MOA rifle. I ordered the 1-3x20 and the Burris mount for my M&P15-22 as a high-quality low cost practice/training analog for the Burris Xtreme 1-4x24 on one of my AR15s. These are all good quality scopes roughly equivalent in build quality and optics to a Bushnell Legend, Burris Fullfield II, or Nikon Buckmaster.

FWIW I'd put the savings into a decent spotting scope.

Burris AR-P.E.P.R. QD 1   
Burris AR-P.E.P.R. QD 1" Scope Mount
Stock # - BUR410344
  • Matte
  • Picatinny Tops
  • Quick Detachable
   $89.95
   Add Burris AR-P.E.P.R. QD 1" Scope Mount to Cart
Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849400
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$169.95
Weaver 2-10x38 Classic V Rifle Scope Ballistic X Weaver 2-10x38 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849403
  • Matte
  • Ballistic X
  • 1"
$209.95
Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope .223 Ballistic X Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849414WEA
  • Matte
  • .223 Ballistic X
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
$329.95

Edited by sholling - June/04/2012 at 16:09
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fullmetalredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 18:08
Okay, now I find myself wondering if I would have more fun with the SS3-9X42.  Seems like a great all around scope for an M4 and 9x would be just about high enough for precision target shooting at 100 yards.  I could just stick to center of mass shots out past 100.  Plus I get to play around with milling targets and dialing in shots. Hmm.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 18:24
Originally posted by fullmetalredhead fullmetalredhead wrote:

Okay, now I find myself wondering if I would have more fun with the SS3-9X42.  Seems like a great all around scope for an M4 and 9x would be just about high enough for precision target shooting at 100 yards.  I could just stick to center of mass shots out past 100.  Plus I get to play around with milling targets and dialing in shots. Hmm.....

The SS 3-9x is an excellent scope to consider. I just finished shooting some decent groups with mine off a .308 bolt gun today @ 100 yards. 

Edited by cheaptrick - June/05/2012 at 18:30
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 19:16

photo

Dont take yourself to seriously
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2012 at 19:21
photo
I recommend a variable power scope. The last thing you want to do is make your AR one dementional. You can always put one of these mini red dot mounted on a 45 degree pic mount for close range target aquistion. Once sited in you can always take it off but I leave mine on cause it looks cool Big Grin
Dont take yourself to seriously
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic