OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New 308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 308
    Posted: June/06/2012 at 06:36
Back in February I traded Cheaptrick a Remington SPS Tactical in 223 for his Remington SPS Varmint in 243.  This is what it looked like when I got it:

After we traded, I dropped it off at Predator Custom Shops in Knoxville and they blue printed and trued the action, lapped the bolt lugs, installed a Rock 5R Barrel in 308 (1/10 at 22"), adjusted the factory trigger, and skim bedded it into a Manners MCS-T.  This is going to be my new target/deer rifle.  Haven't had a chance to shoot it, but will soon.

Excuse the paint job, that was my poor attempt at a digital camo job.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 06:46
looks good.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 07:03
Looks great, Caleb! 

Did your Smith mention how far out of whack the original action was? Just curious....

BD had it before I did. At least we kept that rifle South of the Mason Dixson line!! Big Grin
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 07:06
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Looks great, Caleb! 

Did your Smith mention how far out of whack the original action was? Just curious....

BD had it before I did. At least we kept that rifle South of the Mason Dixson line!! Big Grin

?

cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 07:07
He didn't mention anything Mark, but I didn't speak to him for long, they are supper busy building AR's for assorted XYZ Agencies.  I did talk to the owner of the shop and he said that rifle was in good shape for a factory rifle and that I got it in at the right time.  Manners, McMillan and Rock Creek are all very back ordered now.  Can't wait to shoot it, got some 175 SMK's loaded up for it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 07:15
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Looks great, Caleb! 

?

That rifle shot great before the "smiff" work, is all I meant. Some factory actions, as you well know, are pretty skewed. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 07:20

Looks great, Caleb! 

?

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 07:26
Brandon....nobody is suggesting that there is anything wrong with the rifle. I said "It shot great before the work". Caleb said the shop owner said it was in good shape for a factory action.

For my own info, because I haven't had any custom machine work done before, was curious how much truing went into an action that I know already shot well to start with. That's it. 

No bus forthcoming. I was 100% satisfied with the rifle you sold me, my friend. I honestly considered buying the barrel back from Caleb, when he parted it out. Caleb wanted a .308, not a .243.    
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 07:40

Brandon....nobody is suggesting that there is anything wrong with the rifle. I said "It shot great before the work". Caleb said the shop owner said it was in good shape for a factory action.

For my own info, because I haven't had any custom machine work done before, was curious how much truing went into an action that I know already shot well to start with. That's it. 

No bus forthcoming. I was 100% satisfied with the rifle you sold me, my friend. I honestly considered buying the barrel back from Caleb, when he parted it out. Caleb wanted a .308, not a .243.    

10-4, Just had me worried for a second that You were not happy after you bought it from me.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2012 at 09:45

10-4, Just had me worried for a second that You were not happy after you bought it from me.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2012 at 21:18
Flame Thrower

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic