OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best bullet for the money..........

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobaldoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best bullet for the money..........
    Posted: June/16/2012 at 00:22
was wondering which bullet you all think would be the best bullet for all around performance in 165/180 grain going around 2800 to 3000 fps..was looking at the SST(100 bullets = 40$)but was told they dont stand up well for bigger game, the nosler partition,hornady GMX and most of barnes are all a buck a shot.... which is the best all a bullet for the buck..............
"I can hear you, the rest of the world hears you and the people who knocked these building down will hear all of us soon."   g bush....
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 04:20
Question one is what are you hunting?
Question two is do you care about being successful?
Next to bullet placement, bullet performance is the next most important factor.
An expensive bullet that helps down the animal is much cheaper than one that wounds the animal and allows it to escape and die.
In many states the hunting regulations say if you wound an animal it is the same as taking it..you could lose a once in a lifetime chance for a trophy or if hunting on private land you may be declared persona-non-grata.
Using cheap bullets to hunt dangerous game will get you or someone else maimed or killed.
Higher velocities require better bullets, in your case at the minimum you will need a Nosler Accubond or Swift Sirroco in case you have to take a shot close in.
These bullets work well for deer up through elk.
Tougher game means you will have to go with Nosler Partion, Swift A-Frame, Lapua Naturalis, Barnes TSX, etc.
You will only need about twenty five to fifty rounds to actually hunt with over several years, most being fired to sight in your rifle each year.
Think of results, not cost.
Art

Good day.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 09:25
Bullet placement is the key...If the bullet goes where you want it to, the animal goes down. From your listed velocities, it sounds like you are shooting an '06. And from my personal experience if you hit them in the boiler room they go down. If you don't think your bullet has the penetration to punch through the shoulder, go behind it! For me, accuracy is always the key. If  the bullet doesn't come out the other side, who cares as long as the animal is dead...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 09:32
Sierra game kings are great bullets and much cheaper than all the premium stuff
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 10:17
For cheap bullets, I have had great success with the Hornady BTSP Interlock bullets.  Dropped many animals with them out of many different guns.  Cheaper than the SSTs and I like them better.  The SSTs are too explosive for me.  Had one hit and elk in the shoulder at 80 yards and it didn't even go through the shoulder.  The BTSP do.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 10:39

Amaxs work well also, But gulf post is correct, we really need more info on what you intend to hunt!  

"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
bobaldoo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobaldoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 14:06
mostly deer and elk,sometimes moose depending on my draws.. i was looking at sierra gameking, hornady interlock and interbonds...i used the gameking before i started reloading in federal premium and they were second to none when it came to accuracy but was unsure how well they would hold up with a large animal like a moose.....
"I can hear you, the rest of the world hears you and the people who knocked these building down will hear all of us soon."   g bush....
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 16:05
The interbonds are a great bullet also.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they have the same secant ogive and sectional density as their interloc cousins.  Not too expensive to check that out, especially at the range, to determine if they shoot well.  I've had good luck with them.  However, with all of that said, my $$ on hunting bullets has been going with Barnes and Nosler lately.  I don't hunt deer with it, but just two days ago I took TWO hogs, one running, one standing, with 55gr TSX bullets from my .223 Rem.  Shot placement is the key, as on hogs I shoot for the ear, but those bullets expand, hold together, and penetrate.  I personally believe that Barnes has changed the game on hunting bullets, and give more penetration, expansion, and wound channel in a lighter bullet than their heavier cup and core and bonded counterparts.  Shoot what you want, but after my testing, my hunting loads have been either Barnes or Nosler partitions.  Here's some gratuitous self promotion for your Saturday (my two Barnes kills from this week):

Deck
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 16:41
Originally posted by bobaldoo bobaldoo wrote:

was wondering which bullet you all think would be the best bullet for all around performance in 165/180 grain going around 2800 to 3000 fps..was looking at the SST(100 bullets = 40$)but was told they dont stand up well for bigger game, the nosler partition,hornady GMX and most of barnes are all a buck a shot.... which is the best all a bullet for the buck..............

From an 06 or 300 mag I'm assuming ?
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 16:51
I like barnes tts.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 17:32
I've had good luck with both SGK and SST's, but when choosing these bullets I've always stayed on heavy side for calibre.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 18:45
IMHO if you are hunting moose with a .300 Mag you will need a much tougher bullet in case you have to take a close in shoot or the animal does not co-operate and takes off, a backside to front side shot requires a much tougher bullet..I know this form experience.
You can use the less expensive bullets for deer through elk, buy the tougher, more expensive bullets for moose.
Again, the cost is not that great when compared to the cost of the rest of your equipment and the time and effort you will put in getting to your site and hunting.
A box of premium bullets is about twenty-five gallons of regular and maybe twenty gallons of diesel..cheap for the extra performance and peace of mind they provide.
Think of the results, a successful hunt..focus on those not all the other junk.
Art
Good day.
bobaldoo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobaldoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 20:26
this load if for an 06..probably gonna stick with the hornady gmx, 100 bullet for 80 buck and seems to be very well constructed and groups well..was just wondering what the lower end stuff was like,i will give the SGK a try though....much appeciated and thanks..............
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 21:28

The 200 gr Accubond is about 60 cents each.  They have a ballistic coefficient of .588 which is way up there. 

This is what they do on an Elk at 150 yds out of a 30-06

Shoot good out of 30-06

or a 300 win mag

DO NOT USE THESE LOADS IN YOUR GUN WITHOUT STARTING LOWER AND WORKING UP

Edited by sakomato - June/16/2012 at 21:37
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/16/2012 at 22:56
Nosler fan myself...........
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 10:13
the short answer to your question is, if you're putting the bullet in the right spot, any of the previously mentioned bullets will probably get the job done.  the SST's or nosler ballistic tips are probably not going to hold together as well as the monolithic or bonded bullets and thus won't be optimum for larger animals like elk or moose.  you'll also probably want to take a 180 grain bullet as a minimum for these animals for your .06.  a 180gr or 200gr barnes TSX is probably going to work better than a 165gr GMX, especially on moose.

hornady GMX = Barnes TSX
hornady interbond = any bonded core, accubond, ect bullet, incl nosler accubond
nosler partition = swift a frame, winchester xp3

these are all general approximations... meaning they're roughly equivalent

both the hornady gmx and the barnes bullets are monolithic, rather than having a lead core bonded in some way to a gilding metal jacket.  haven't researched the GMX as much, but the barnes bullets are constructed to expand in a clover leaf pattern for consistency.

the interbond/accubond all promise to have a different bonding method to keep the jacket from completely separating from the core, which is supposed to help control expansion and deliver more of the bullets weight consistently through an animal... listos: the bullet doesn't explode, but does expand

the sectionalized bullets (partition, aframe, ect) all have a gilding metal section that basically makes part of the bullet not expand, while allowing the other part to expand.  like the bonded bullets they promise more weight retention through-out expansion.

for the folks that tout sierra game kings... it's basically the same bullet as a remmington core lokt, or a soft point boat tail bullet.   you'd probably save a lot of money buying the remmys.

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 11:53
Sierra Game kings are a lot like core-lokt's, except they have much higher BC's and are generally a much more consistent bullet. But other than that, ya pretty much the same thing...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 15:43
I've been fortunate to kill over 100 head of game in the last 41 years.  Mostly whitetails, mule deer, and aoudad, with an occasional elk and antelope.  Get what shoots best in your rifle and have at it.  Deer aren't hard to kill IMO with any of the hunting bullets today, from corelokts to partitions.  I personally do not like lead free, long for caliber bullets like Barnes X, etc.  I've found that the nosler partition is the most reliable hunting bullet ever made.  It performs as it should every single time.  That being said, I've killed lots of 'em with SST's, Hornady SP's, and IB's.   
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 20:16
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Nosler fan myself...........

same here. Ballistic Tips (actually Ballistic Silver Tips) are my go to bullets and have been for a long time. Not sure how effective that black coating is, but I can tell you all that I do less cleaning and more shooting w/o cleaning till I get back to the man cave. My 06 loves the 168 gr. and my 300 WM loves the 180 gr Ballistic Silver Tips. I also run the 140 gr BST's in my 280 Ackley. Nosler BT's and the BST's have proven to be the most accurate bullets in my rifles. I remember reading an article by Kenny Jarrett regarding the Ballistic Tips and in short he said that when testing his rifles during load developing and they don't deliver 1/2 MOA groups, he takes the rifle back to the shop to find out what's wrong the rifle.
If you need or want a tougher bullet, the Accubond is the way I'd roll for elk or moose, although in recent years Nosler has added a thicker/tougher jacket to the 30 cal 180's.

As some other's have mentioned, I've taken several decent sized bucks with Seirra Game Kings and they are pretty accurate too, although not as accurate as the Nosler's in my rifles.
bobaldoo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobaldoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 23:43
dont know much about the barnes stuff but have been working with the gmx's and to a new relaoder not a big fan of how long they have to make the bullet being lead free to get to 165/180 gr. always in the back of my mind on how deep your seating the bullet and how much this screws with compression near the top 2 listed loads compared to a much shorter interlock ..anyways went out and purchased the hornady interlock, interbond and the nosler partitons give all three a try and whichever works the best out of my gun is the winner whatever the cost is........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic