OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Scope Help Please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towne030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Scope Help Please!
    Posted: June/20/2012 at 09:47
Hey guys new here, just looking for a little help regarding a new scope. I recently purchased a new Browning BAR Safari MKII, wood stock, .308 chambered, and since have been in search of a new scope. I was originally tossed between a Leupold VX-2 3-9x50mm. After reading around that the Viper is a much better overall scope than the VX-2 at around the same price, I was fairly set on that. Until this morning, when I stumbled upon the Vortex Viper HS series. One, in particular, caught my eye. The Viper HS 2.5-10x44mm.

My question is what is the difference between the original Viper series and the Viper HS. I know HS stands for hunting/shooting, but other than a few minor spec changes between the 2 I was looking at I could not tell much difference. Will I notice any real difference between the 2 or simply just the lower range magnification and the overall look?

Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Links to scopes - 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 10:04
The HS is going to have a better designed turret system for easier ability to dial in.  They ain't no target turrets but more like CDS from Leupold.  I'd go he HS and not look back.  Its also a 30mm tube vs a 1" tube, some dont' like changing existing rings if they already have a set, me I would rather have 30mm but thats just me.  Typically, 30mm will have more travel built in and be a slightly stronger tube, but thats not always the case.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
towne030 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towne030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 10:13
Thanks for the reply, I knew the differences with the 1" vs 30mm tubes, I just wasnt sure if there was a whole lot difference other than that between the viper and viper hs. Since I don't have rings right now and need to get them as well, thats not an issue. Cabelas doesnt sell the HS series, only the normal Viper's. I think I am going to head there today, and if they don't have the viper then i'll come home and order the Viper HS online. I like the fact that it is 2.5 min mag instead of the 3.5 of the Viper, I am often hunting whitetails in thick brush and need as low of magni as I can get, as well as a good high end for the 300+ yard shots in new log slashing.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 10:43
I had a Viper HS a few months back. Overall, I liked it fine except... the "power" indicator on top was much smaller (harder to see with my old eyes) than a Viper I had from a couple of years ago. The glass was fine, and the 30 mm tube NBD. It's a nice scope. BTW, welcome to the OT Forums.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 10:50
SWFA
Buy from here and save yourself the trouble. Check out the scopes wherever but with a 110% low price guarantee its crazy not to get from SWFA
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 11:05
+100 to what SVT said!  SWFA will als accept trade ins and give ya a decent price for them!  Try them, you'll love them and nobody has better CS!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 11:26
I think you will be happy with the Vortex HS I have had my eye on this one as a possible hunting scope for a while now.  I like the fact that the LR version has easier access to dialing correcton for elevation but when I get there its hard for me not to just go the next step up to the PST version with illumination and a better reticle.  OH MY - what a few more dollars will get you Cool
Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4305LR
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$549.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
towne030 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towne030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 11:27
I plan on buying from SWFA, I just want to try and get a viper in my hands to look through it first. As for the small zoom numbers on the adjuster thats not an issue for me, 22 years old with 20/20 vision, for now at least :)
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 11:31
If you know the  2.5-10 is the power range you want consider if you have a need for illumination or tactical knobs and tactical reticle for hold over and rangefinding distance of known size targets?
Also if you order one in dont mount it  (no damage)  until you know it is what you want, as you can return it and exchange it for something else but it will cost you the postage to do that but you wind up with what you want.
Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - PST210S1M
  • Matte
  • EBR-1 Mil Reticle
  • 30mm
  • .10 Mil Adjustments
$599.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
towne030 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towne030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 11:32
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I think you will be happy with the Vortex HS I have had my eye on this one as a possible hunting scope for a while now.  I like the fact that the LR version has easier access to dialing correcton for elevation but when I get there its hard for me not to just go the next step up to the PST version with illumination and a better reticle.  OH MY - what a few more dollars will get you Cool
Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4305LR
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$549.95

Also a nice scope i was checking it out, too much zoom for my hunting needs with the .308 though, i need to have small low end magni for quick shots while im walking through the woods, but still need top end power for the 300+ yard shots. Plus its a little over my budget of around $400. I can only wish i had the money to get the pst with the illuminated reticle, I really wanted a scope with illum, but cant justify the extra money
towne030 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote towne030 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 11:35

If you know the  2.5-10 is the power range you want consider if you have a need for illumination or tactical knobs and tactical reticle for hold over and rangefinding distance of known size targets?
Also if you order one in dont mount it  (no damage)  until you know it is what you want, as you can return it and exchange it for something else but it will cost you the postage to do that but you wind up with what you want.
Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 2.5-10x44 Viper PST 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - PST210S1M
  • Matte
  • EBR-1 Mil Reticle
  • 30mm
  • .10 Mil Adjustments
$599.95 

Thanks, if i had the extra $200 I completely would, I just dont have the justification or need for the illum or ranging adjustments with the type of hunting I will be using it for, rarely will i shoot over 300 yards and if i do i sight my scopes in for 150 anyways so can compensate on the fly. will likely get a higher powered PST for my future .243 or .22-250 for antelope hunting :)
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 11:36
I tend to use this scope and have both versions the mil dot and the mil quad but the mil quad is preferable.
SPL16378 SWFA SS 3-9x42 Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view SS39X42, Matte, FFP Mil-Dot, 30mm
$499.95
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 11:40
Also one to consider is the Samplelist.com from SWFA  used Zeiss Conquest scopes.
This model is factory refurbished from Zeiss
Lifetime transferable warranty
They take these to trade shows then go over them afterward and cut the price this is a really good deal on a great scope with a Z600 balistic reticle.
SPL16154 Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 5214609971, Matte, Rapid Z 600, 1"
$449.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2012 at 13:36

Stock # - VORVHS4305LR
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$549.95

I have this scope on my .223 CZ527 Lux.  Love it.  At first I was concerned about the thinness of the reticle, but I used it after legal shooting light last week to take these:

Reticle was not problem on these guys, and the second one was running, at dark, and they are both jet black russians (the color is from the mud).  Oh, and I had no problem getting the pigs in the sights, too, and I had forgotten that the power was at 8x, giving me just a little more than a 5mm exit pupil.  Great scopes.  Glass appears as good as my conquest 3-9x.  Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic