OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody got a .204 ruger?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 10:08
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Think I'll get me a .204 next go around. 

Great decision!  I'm so proud of you!

Gettin' all misty-eyed now...
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 14:31
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Think I'll get me a .204 next go around. 

Great decision!  I'm so proud of you!

Gettin' all misty-eyed now...

Your recommendations are always spot on, Ted. 

Might try the Mod 12 VLP, even though it's a righty. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 22:32
HowdyNewbie "Rainman" here so hello to everyone.  Mine is also a light weight CZ 527 American (curly maple limited run) with an older 8x Vari-X III that consistently shoots .40 five shot groups with my Sierra 39gr hand loads from a bench at 100 yards.  The H B SS Ruger No. 1 I sold to a buddy has repeatedly printed five shot 100 yard groups a tick below .30 with the same loads for both of us.  Both dependent on how we are shooting on any given day.  We shoot P D's and ground squirrels out to 400 yards or a bit more (practical limit for my light CZ is closer to 300 yard).  Recoil is so mild you can watch hits through your scope and younger, better shooters than us with better setups go well beyond 400 yards-a real flat shooting caliber though wind sensitive.  Factory velocity ratings seem to be attainable for 32 grain loads out of 26" barrels but pulling 4K out of 39/40 gr bullets with safe hand loads is illusive.  I just sold a .22-250 Kimber 84 Varminter and when I get another H B varmint repeater it will be .204.  You won't regret this caliber choice unless maybe you are going for extreme ranges.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 23:28
Welcome to OT, Rainman!

My experience exactly with the .204, also using 39 gr. Sierras (BK).  I too use it a lot for shooting prairie dogs, and being able to spot your shots in the scope combined with high velocity and superb precision doesn't suck.  I'm a huge .204 fan!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BobC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 09:32
My brother has a Ruger 77 in .204. Nice cartridge in a nice rifle other than the terrible trigger. I keep trying to get him to buy a Timney for it but he's to cheep.
As stated above very effective on coyotes.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 01:48
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

I too have a Rem 700 in .204. I absolutely love it and it shoots some amazing groups. I have had a lot of fun with it and at 600 yards on steel it is addicting. Here is a 5 shot group @ 100 yards with mine next to a dime. It was still stock at the time wore a Minox 4-20 and the trigger had a little creep. It now wears a HS Precision stock, timney trigger, a SS5-20X50 and is one of my favorite guns I own.  
No wonder it shoots tiny groups. Look at those little bullet holes! I've shot one shot groups bigger than that! Bucky

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic