OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope recommendations for Ruger 22 / 45

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope recommendations for Ruger 22 / 45
    Posted: June/25/2012 at 11:57
Hello,

Would like scope recommendations for my Ruger 22 / 45.

Primary use is birds and bunny hunting.

I'd be kept in a chest holster for use while atv and snowmachining.

Most shots would be 25 yards or less with an occasional shot beyond that.

Budget? Lets say the cheaper the better.

Been eyeing the Burris 2x7 electro dot on the sample list, but haven't found many reviews of the scope or seen anyone else using one on a Mark III.

Also thought of the Bushnell T25 on the sample list too.

Thanks!

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 12:43
In the Alaska wet & cold I would shy away from anything battery operated. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
ohtreethirtyone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 14:11
I would tend to agree with you, but most lithium batteries are ok down to -40.

Personally, if I'm outside at -40, I've messed up and a battery on a scope is the least of my problems. Anything lower than -20ish, and I'm hunkered down someplace warm.   

Even without lithiums, we've come up with ways to adapt and overcome the cold.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/25/2012 at 16:15
First let me show you the ideal scope for it - powered by tritium and fiber optic.
Trijicon RMR Dual Illuminated Sight Trijicon RMR Dual Illuminated Sight
Stock # - RM0533
  • Black
  • 9 MOA Amber Dot
  • Comes with RM33 Picatinny Rail Mount
$550.95 < id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl02_Price_VS" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl02$Price$VS" value="665PqFQd77NLhnMDZTSDJZrB8iZnkQgYeGJjWj3KJeQMee+0h7UvHPhvLJammM+2" ="">

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ohtreethirtyone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 10:50
Would the 9moa dot be a little large for my purposes?

Ptarmigan aren't that big and I was thinking a small dot would be in order(?)

Thanks for the replies.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2012 at 11:06
There is a 7 as well - 7.0 MOA Dual Illuminated
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2012 at 17:33
I just this very morning mounted a Bushnell TRS-25 on my Ruger Mark III 22/45.  I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet, but it looks to be a very nice setup. Good reviews/recommendations on the rimfire forums, and cost me $83.  You might want to give it a look.
madcratebuilder View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madcratebuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2016 at 14:17
A small red dot, FFII, DR, PA micro or any other would serve you well.  I'm very happy with mine.

Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2016 at 17:17
I have shot scoped pistols and revolvers for years and red dot sights on pistols more recently, with and without magnifying devices.  Traditional handgun scopes are not the way to go if you desire something that can be brought into service quickly.  2x, 4x, 2-7x etc. handgun scopes have limited fields of view making it a challenge to get on targets quickly and are hard to get behind quickly without a lot of practice.  Find a quality red dot you like, learn to use it and I think it will serve your needs best.  If you want the option of magnification a moderately priced decent red dot sight I like is the Vortex SPARC for which you can buy a 2x screw on magnifyer that works well or if you find the first version it comes the 2x magnifyer.  For my Ruger 22/45 lightweight I like the 4 MOA dot size for all around use which is generally 7 to 35 yards off hand and 50 to 100 yards off a rest.  It currently wears a bargain purchase Walther dot sight that I would not purchase again given a do over and it will be replaced most likely with a Burris Fast Fire III. 
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2016 at 18:09
Originally posted by madcratebuilder madcratebuilder wrote:

A small red dot, FFII, DR, PA micro or any other would serve you well.  I'm very happy with mine.

That's cool. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2016 at 21:08
The 22/45 I had came with decent sights. I'd rather that than a cheap red dot. Having hunted sq. and deer with a handgun scope, I would not do so again.I'm over 40, legally blind without glasses and can hit a sq. in the head at 25 yards with good iron sights on an accurate .22 revolver. That's rested off and having smoked the front Patridge blade.

Stick with the irons or if it doesn't have them get a Burris FFIII.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2016 at 21:37
Originally posted by ohtreethirtyone ohtreethirtyone wrote:

Would the 9moa dot be a little large for my purposes?

Ptarmigan aren't that big and I was thinking a small dot would be in order(?)

Thanks for the replies.

If you get the adjustable LED version of the RMR instead of the dual illuminated, it's available either with a 1 MOA or 3.25 MOA dot, both of which are plenty small enough for Ptarmigan hunting. I have both of those, both on pistols, and they are fantastic for that application. I even have the 3.25 MOA version on a Ruger 22/45, in fact. If I wasn't away from home on a business trip this week, I would post a photo of it.

Don't worry about the fact these are battery powered. I bought the one I have on my 22/45 over 5 years ago, it still has the original battery that came with it, and it's been on continuously since then. These things have crazy long battery life!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
rwa3006 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwa3006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2016 at 23:15
The OP posted quite a while ago, but the question is still relevant for many folks.  I pondered the same thing a year ago for my S&W m41 which I use for precision head shots on cottontail rabbits.  I ended up getting an Ultradot L/T with a 4moa dot.  The sight picture is adequate and I like its overall profile without adding too much bulk to the rig.  

I shot about 30 rabbits with it this last winter and I am pleased with my choice.  The dot can be turned up bright enough so it doesn't wash out in bright snowy landscapes and I would say the size of the dot is about right for this purpose.  

I ended up having a local custom holster maker build me a across-the-chest holster to carry the thing and I couldn't be more pleased with the overall setup.  I feel this dot sight compliments my rig very nicely.  
Brenda_Dempsey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenda_Dempsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2016 at 02:46
What are you hunting? so we can figure out what kind of scope you may need.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2016 at 14:37
I use a Burris FFII on my Mark II and love it.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic