OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rogn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope cleaning
    Posted: July/04/2012 at 08:06
I really like the Zeis pads for spot cleaning, but ALWAYS remember to blow and whisk away any dust or grit. You can do untold damage grinding some debris into the lens. Always use lite strokes. For a thorough cleaning I really prefer to use lens cleaning fluid and lens paper(all harder to find). Careful lite circular strokes with a final lens paper will give you a flawless streak free lens..........if I can just keep from sticking a finger on one in the first 10 minutes.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2012 at 07:57
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Why don't you taste it and see???

Hahaha....Bandito

I too use and have used Zeiss Wipes for several years on all my scopes. I like the fact that I can keep them in my Eagle Stock Pack, (shameless plug), when I'm out in the field.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/30/2012 at 05:58

Exactly
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 19:25
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

WHICH Cleveland?

<H2>Cleveland, WA. Cleveland, TX. Cleveland, TN. Cleveland, OH. Cleveland, ND. Cleveland, NC. Cleveland, NY. , MS. , IL. IN. and GA. <SPAN></SPAN></H2>

Does it matter. ;)
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 19:10

WHICH Cleveland?

Cleveland, WA. Cleveland, TX. Cleveland, TN. Cleveland, OH. Cleveland, ND. Cleveland, NC. Cleveland, NY. , MS. , IL. IN. and GA.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 18:38
Why don't you taste it and see???
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 18:26
[QUOTE=300S&W]  
  It does contain a cleaner but I wonder even though they say it dries crystal clear and they tell you how to apply it to surfaces such as scopes if the protecting film it leaves affects the quality of the image any.

From their site:
<ER id=main_er =clearfix>
Parkers Perfect - AntiFog Spray [/COLOR"><NAV id=top-menu =menu-nav-container>

<P id=menu-item-1126 ="menu-item menu-item--custom menu-item--custom menu-item-home menu-item-1126"> 

<AV></ER><!-- end #main_er -->
<DIV id=>
<H1 id=page-title>About</H1>
<DIV ="single_container et_shadow">
<DIV =single_>
<DIV ="entry post clearfix">

Don’t allow fogged up eyewear and protective eyewear to stop you from doing the things you want or need to do! Use Parker’s Anti-Fog solution, to win the battle against external lens fogging, in cold, or hot humid conditions.

Parker’s is the longest lasting anti-fog spray, or dropper, solution on the market to date! For eyewear Parker’s recommends a daily anti fog application. <SPAN style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline">Even though it last much longer!</SPAN> Parker’s does contain a cleaner, Helping to remove facial oil, hair spray, make up, and sweat, but first and foremost it was designed to help prevent lenses from fogging! Parker’s anti fog solution also leaves a protective film on the lens that helps reduce static, helps prevent scratches, and makes cleaning easier! Parker’s anti fog and cleaning solution has no lingering odor, no harsh chemicals, no abrasive ingredients, and it’s “Silicone Free”! All these features help Parker’s to be very environmentally friendly. And, make Parker’s the choice for companies big, or small, concerned about safety, liability, OSHA, and ergonomics.

Parker’s “Dropper Bottle” anti fog and cleaning solution was designed for optics, and should be used on them; Scopes, Binoculars, Camera Lenses, etc… (This is to control the application on fine optical equipment, which can be applied in the correct amount suited to the lens size, evenly spread to coat the lens surface with a film, then lightly wiped, or left to air dry, depending on preference.) But, the dropper can also be used on other applications as well; such as eyeglasses, sunglasses, goggles, safety glasses, etc…

Parker’s anti-fog cleaner is very diverse in application; the dropper is spectacular on scopes, binoculars, camera lenses, telescopes, etc…For working photographers; Parker’s cuts acclamation time on photographic equipment. The spray is recommended for manufacturing; protective eyewears, goggles, face shields, respirators, welding hoods, etc… Pressure washing, sand blasting, chipping, grinding, spraying, etc … On computer screens, lasting weeks, even in some of the harshest environments such as: casting, fabrication, assembly, finishing, maintenance, etc… Parker’s is a must for “HAZMAT” suits! For medical, dental, police, military, fire fighting, etc For all sports; hunting, shooting, fishing, paint ball, boating, racing, skiing, snow-mobiling, hockey, scuba diving, etc… On interior windows and mirrors (Lasting 3-4 weeks); hotels, cruse ships, automobiles, trucks, boats, planes, etc… Really, there are so many uses and applications, it would be impossible to list them all!

Manufactured by: Par Bur Labs Inc. Made in the USA

<H2 align=center>“At last, something that really works!”</H2>

More about Parker’s Anti-Fog Solution & Lens Cleaner
After extensive research, Par Bur Laboratories has developed an advanced chemical solution, scientifically formulated, to be superior to any other spray or dropper product currently used to keep lenses from fogging. First and foremost, Parker’s anti-fog solution was designed to keep eyewear and also protective eyewear from fogging up in cold, or hot, humid conditions. This includes respirators, welding hoods, face shields, “HAZMAT” suits, scuba masks, motorcycle helmets and other protective lenses that experience the same problem. Parker’s recommends a daily application to be sure your lens is cleaned regularly, even though it lasts much longer! The so called, anti-fogs have never lived up to their claims. After you use Parker’s anti-fogging solution, you’ll be saying, “At last something really works!” Parker’s also contains a cleaner that helps to remove such things as facial oils, hair spray, make-up,and sweat, making our solution the choice for companies, big or small, who are concerned about safety, liability, OSHA regulations, and ergonomics. When properly applied, you will find Parker’s formula to be fast drying and convenient to use. Remember, Parker’s is new in design, to be fast when applying; It’s important after spraying, not to overwipe. There is no need to wipe completely dry. You actually stop wiping while there is still moisture on the lens, and it will dry crystal clear. When using the dropper, you can also spread it thin and even, and then let it air dry, if you prefer (referring to scopes, binoculars, camera lenses, and other optics of this nature). Parker’s is the longest lasting spray or dropper anti-fog solution to prevent fogging on lenses on the market to date. Best of all, Parker’s is water soluble, so throughout the day, you can remove most dirt, mud, grime, and goo, or whatever, from eyewear, simply by rinsing under the faucet, or in a bucket of water and then reapply Parker’s. Parker’s also helps keep polycarbonate lenses from scratching on both the inside and outside of a lens, leaving a protective film on the surface for easier cleaning, and reduced static, helping to avoid smudges, dust, dirt, and fingerprints, or other air born particles, without the bother of silicone scratch guard. An example of this would be when Parker’s is applied to the outside of a face shield used for the sport of paint ball. The goo from the paint will wash right off, not leaving the normal goo mess and smears that the player usually have to deal with when cleaning their shields! The bother of dust and dirt, collecting on computer screens can be greatly reduced, lasting weeks, in even some of the harshest environments such as fabrication, assembly, maintenance, foundries, as well as the other manufacturing scenarios. Parkers Anti-Fogging Solution is very diverse in application. This is why Parker’s comes in spray and dropper format. The spray can be used on eye wear, protective eye wear, television screens, computer monitors, mirrors,inside windows of cars, trucks, boats, planes, etc, lasting up to 30 days on interior windows and mirors. The dropper is spectacular for scopes, binoculars, camera lenses, telescopes, as well as other fine optics of this nature and, should be used on these types of optics to avoid “puddling”. The dropper can be used on eyewear. You would just need to spread it around with your finger.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 17:31

It does contain a cleaner but I wonder even though they say it dries crystal clear and they tell you how to apply it to surfaces such as scopes if the protecting film it leaves affects the quality of the image any.

From their site:

About

Don’t allow fogged up eyewear and protective eyewear to stop you from doing the things you want or need to do! Use Parker’s Anti-Fog solution, to win the battle against external lens fogging, in cold, or hot humid conditions.

Parker’s is the longest lasting anti-fog spray, or dropper, solution on the market to date! For eyewear Parker’s recommends a daily anti fog application. Even though it last much longer! Parker’s does contain a cleaner, Helping to remove facial oil, hair spray, make up, and sweat, but first and foremost it was designed to help prevent lenses from fogging! Parker’s anti fog solution also leaves a protective film on the lens that helps reduce static, helps prevent scratches, and makes cleaning easier! Parker’s anti fog and cleaning solution has no lingering odor, no harsh chemicals, no abrasive ingredients, and it’s “Silicone Free”! All these features help Parker’s to be very environmentally friendly. And, make Parker’s the choice for companies big, or small, concerned about safety, liability, OSHA, and ergonomics.

Parker’s “Dropper Bottle” anti fog and cleaning solution was designed for optics, and should be used on them; Scopes, Binoculars, Camera Lenses, etc… (This is to control the application on fine optical equipment, which can be applied in the correct amount suited to the lens size, evenly spread to coat the lens surface with a film, then lightly wiped, or left to air dry, depending on preference.) But, the dropper can also be used on other applications as well; such as eyeglasses, sunglasses, goggles, safety glasses, etc…

Parker’s anti-fog cleaner is very diverse in application; the dropper is spectacular on scopes, binoculars, camera lenses, telescopes, etc…For working photographers; Parker’s cuts acclamation time on photographic equipment. The spray is recommended for manufacturing; protective eyewears, goggles, face shields, respirators, welding hoods, etc… Pressure washing, sand blasting, chipping, grinding, spraying, etc … On computer screens, lasting weeks, even in some of the harshest environments such as: casting, fabrication, assembly, finishing, maintenance, etc… Parker’s is a must for “HAZMAT” suits! For medical, dental, police, military, fire fighting, etc For all sports; hunting, shooting, fishing, paint ball, boating, racing, skiing, snow-mobiling, hockey, scuba diving, etc… On interior windows and mirrors (Lasting 3-4 weeks); hotels, cruse ships, automobiles, trucks, boats, planes, etc… Really, there are so many uses and applications, it would be impossible to list them all!

Manufactured by: Par Bur Labs Inc. Made in the USA

“At last, something that really works!”

More about Parker’s Anti-Fog Solution & Lens Cleaner
After extensive research, Par Bur Laboratories has developed an advanced chemical solution, scientifically formulated, to be superior to any other spray or dropper product currently used to keep lenses from fogging. First and foremost, Parker’s anti-fog solution was designed to keep eyewear and also protective eyewear from fogging up in cold, or hot, humid conditions. This includes respirators, welding hoods, face shields, “HAZMAT” suits, scuba masks, motorcycle helmets and other protective lenses that experience the same problem. Parker’s recommends a daily application to be sure your lens is cleaned regularly, even though it lasts much longer! The so called, anti-fogs have never lived up to their claims. After you use Parker’s anti-fogging solution, you’ll be saying, “At last something really works!” Parker’s also contains a cleaner that helps to remove such things as facial oils, hair spray, make-up,and sweat, making our solution the choice for companies, big or small, who are concerned about safety, liability, OSHA regulations, and ergonomics. When properly applied, you will find Parker’s formula to be fast drying and convenient to use. Remember, Parker’s is new in design, to be fast when applying; It’s important after spraying, not to overwipe. There is no need to wipe completely dry. You actually stop wiping while there is still moisture on the lens, and it will dry crystal clear. When using the dropper, you can also spread it thin and even, and then let it air dry, if you prefer (referring to scopes, binoculars, camera lenses, and other optics of this nature). Parker’s is the longest lasting spray or dropper anti-fog solution to prevent fogging on lenses on the market to date. Best of all, Parker’s is water soluble, so throughout the day, you can remove most dirt, mud, grime, and goo, or whatever, from eyewear, simply by rinsing under the faucet, or in a bucket of water and then reapply Parker’s. Parker’s also helps keep polycarbonate lenses from scratching on both the inside and outside of a lens, leaving a protective film on the surface for easier cleaning, and reduced static, helping to avoid smudges, dust, dirt, and fingerprints, or other air born particles, without the bother of silicone scratch guard. An example of this would be when Parker’s is applied to the outside of a face shield used for the sport of paint ball. The goo from the paint will wash right off, not leaving the normal goo mess and smears that the player usually have to deal with when cleaning their shields! The bother of dust and dirt, collecting on computer screens can be greatly reduced, lasting weeks, in even some of the harshest environments such as fabrication, assembly, maintenance, foundries, as well as the other manufacturing scenarios. Parkers Anti-Fogging Solution is very diverse in application. This is why Parker’s comes in spray and dropper format. The spray can be used on eye wear, protective eye wear, television screens, computer monitors, mirrors,inside windows of cars, trucks, boats, planes, etc, lasting up to 30 days on interior windows and mirors. The dropper is spectacular for scopes, binoculars, camera lenses, telescopes, as well as other fine optics of this nature and, should be used on these types of optics to avoid “puddling”. The dropper can be used on eyewear. You would just need to spread it around with your finger. For working photographers, Parker’s cuts temperature acclimation time on photographic equipment,

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 16:28
Originally posted by triple play triple play wrote:

Not a lot of discussion about Parker's Perfect. Any expert comments or just informational comments?? I have used both Zeiss spray and wipes for years-still gonna fog up in the field. I have some Parker's that I thought  might help with that-I use it for a shower shaving mirror. Gonna give the guns and scopes a preseason check-up soon and wondered about the Parker's. Not a whole lot of info. in the search history either.

Like most of the well informed, I tend to keep it simple......Zeiss lens wipes and/or Zeiss lens spray cleaner.  Parker's Perfect helps eliminate fog on the outside of your lenses.  I don'd consider it a cleaner. 
triple play View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple play Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 10:33
Not a lot of discussion about Parker's Perfect. Any expert comments or just informational comments?? I have used both Zeiss spray and wipes for years-still gonna fog up in the field. I have some Parker's that I thought  might help with that-I use it for a shower shaving mirror. Gonna give the guns and scopes a preseason check-up soon and wondered about the Parker's. Not a whole lot of info. in the search history either.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 18:21
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Originally posted by GHILLIE.308 GHILLIE.308 wrote:

Well what do you use to clean your glass with Kickboxer?

I should like to wager on that answer.

I bet he uses some product, explicitly designed and sold for the purpose of cleaning coated lenses, and a product that optics companies known for good glass recommend.
If anyone is wondering, I prefer the Zeiss moistened optics lense papers, preceeded by a bulb brush. If out of the wipes, i use alcohol and lense paper. If that isn't around, i leave the lenses dirty as hell till i can clean them properly. I have no streaks, no damaged lenses or coatings, and no damaged seals.

But maybe that's just me.

Exactly what I do...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 16:01
Some coatings can take it some can't.   ;)
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 15:58
Originally posted by GHILLIE.308 GHILLIE.308 wrote:

I should like to wager on that answer.

I bet he uses some product, explicitly designed and sold for the purpose of cleaning coated lenses, and a product that optics companies known for good glass recommend.
If anyone is wondering, I prefer the Zeiss moistened optics lense papers, preceeded by a bulb brush. If out of the wipes, i use alcohol and lense paper. If that isn't around, i leave the lenses dirty as hell till i can clean them properly. I have no streaks, no damaged lenses or coatings, and no damaged seals.

But maybe that's just me.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 14:36
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
GHILLIE.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHILLIE.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 13:58
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by hunterbob hunterbob wrote:

Kickboxer
 I had been using Windex for over 50 years on my scopes that I have had, from time to time.
I never ruined one, but anything is possible. If Windex will ruin a scope lens; it can't be a very resilient coating, that's on it. Also I can see where a lot of scrubbing on a lens that has some small grit there can screw it up too. I can count on one hand how many scopes i have had.Get Your Popcorn Ready
I'm extremely happy for you...  I, on the other hand, have NEVER used Windex on a riflescope and have never had a scratch on any lens at any time.  I can't remember ever  having had a streak.  I have had DOZENS of scopes... still have most of them, except for the ones I shot with my .458 Lott.
I've sold a few to people who wanted them more than I did and I've let a few go with rifles that I got rid of.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 11:02

Get in out of the heat,Bd!!!!!!!!!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 08:20
while sitting in the stand I use Peanut butter. I apply a light heavy coat and swirl in circles for about 5 minutes. I then wipe if off with a slice of white bread (wheat doesn't work as well). This not only cleans my glass but also polishes to a nice and bright finish. Doing this I get 10 1/2 to 12 3/8 percent better light transmittance. If the glass is extra dirty I use chunky Peanut butter and wipe it off with  non buttered toast ( I hate getting butter on my glass) it will dissolve the special UV coatings that gather light. This also make for a pretty good snack if your glass is clean while in the stand. Please do not try this. Is has taken me many many years to prefect this method of cleaning. If you do want to try this start with a cheap Leupold scope or bino's with a larger objective. The larger objective will allow you to get the swirling technique correct before you use it on a nice scope like a BSA or something of that line.

It really all boils down to " use what you want to use". Just remember to keep us posted on the customer service.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 07:52
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I'm honestly not trying to be flippant here; I just don't get why anyone would take unnecessary risks with questionable products and spend time calling optics manufacturers to see which chemicals their lens coatings will withstand when a readily available, cheap solution is specifically designed for the task at hand.

'nough said!!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 07:36
Originally posted by hunterbob hunterbob wrote:

Kickboxer
 I had been using Windex for over 50 years on my scopes that I have had, from time to time.
I never ruined one, but anything is possible. If Windex will ruin a scope lens; it can't be a very resilient coating, that's on it. Also I can see where a lot of scrubbing on a lens that has some small grit there can screw it up too. I can count on one hand how many scopes i have had.Get Your Popcorn Ready
I'm extremely happy for you...  I, on the other hand, have NEVER used Windex on a riflescope and have never had a scratch on any lens at any time.  I can't remember ever  having had a streak.  I have had DOZENS of scopes... still have most of them, except for the ones I shot with my .458 Lott.
I've sold a few to people who wanted them more than I did and I've let a few go with rifles that I got rid of.

hunterbob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 06:15
Kickboxer
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic