OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHILLIE.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 15:13
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Originally posted by GHILLIE.308 GHILLIE.308 wrote:

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Interesting. I too just got off the phone with Leupold's tech support and the individual I talked with also asked others in tech support as well as an optical engineer and they said absolutely no on using Windex. It leaves too much goop on the surface, is hard on the coatings and seals.

What is up with Leupold? Some say one thing and others say something else.

They said to use 90% or greater alcohol or go to a camera store and use the cleaning supplies they offer.
    I asked would windex hurt the coatings and the engineer said no it would not. BUT and I say BUT they also said Windex is not the best thing to use because it is an oil and ammonia base and it will leave streaks on your lense. And they said if you left it on for long periods of time it could get behind the seals. "Hence not to use". But as for messing up the coatings it will not hurt it "UNLESS you leave it on for a long period of time". They ensured me that I did not hurt my optics.Big Smile

Not arguing with you. I just posted what they told me. Like I said some say one thing and others say something else. It an 800 number so call again and see what they say this time.
I know your not arguing and neither am I; infact i appreciate you guys input. Basically when I told the supervisor that one Technision said a wile ago that windex was safe to use the supervisor did not understand why he told me that Because Leupold does not recommend the use of Windex. Not because it will take off the coatings "UNLESS it is left on for a relly long time". He said they don't recommend it is because it "leaves streaks on the lense", and if left for to long can get behind the seals. But he also told me that he was going to have a talk with some of the Technisions to stop telling people that if the did not have acetone or high grade glass cleaner that Windex will substitute for it. ....And thanks for all of the input guys I really do appreciate it alot.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 15:36
The Zeiss (or Nikon, or Bauch and Lomb) lens cleaning wipes/spray neither damages coatings, nor leaves streaks, nor damages seals.  As a bonus, it actually cleans lenses!  Don't let its name fool you; remarkably, it's so versatile, it will also clean other brand lenses equally as well as it does Zeiss lenses.  It would seem to have all the attributes necessary for a good lens cleaning product! Wink
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
GHILLIE.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHILLIE.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 15:46
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

The Zeiss (or Nikon, or Bauch and Lomb) lens cleaning wipes/spray neither damages coatings, nor leaves streaks, nor damages seals.  As a bonus, it actually cleans lenses!  Don't let its name fool you; remarkably, it's so versatile, it will also clean other brand lenses equally as well as it does Zeiss lenses.  It would seem to have all the attributes necessary for a good lens cleaning product! Wink
Excellent
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 16:17
Even wetsanding, the 8000 grit sandpaper occasionally leaves streaks... Then I move to black or gray finishing pads...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 16:24

No Pics
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 16:32
I'll have to get back with you... I've been cleaning my camera lenses...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/27/2012 at 16:53
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Seems the Zeiss are your safest bet.  I've used B&L to with no problems.

I've used the Swarovski optics wipesmuch like Zeiss brand , and they work great!!

I'm sure. I'd think any of the cleaners offered by the major optics manufacturers would be safe.

Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 00:39

I find the frequent "is (fill in the blank chemical concoction) safe for cleaning lenses?" questions rather perplexing given that there's no shortage of optical lens cleaners specifically designed for that purpose available everywhere.

While there are probably multiple liquids that will work fine for lens cleaning without damaging lens coatings, one thing's for absolute certain... optical lens cleaning solutions (as the label seemingly implies) are totally safe and effective for that purpose, since they were specifically designed for that purpose.  Curiously, the stuff actually does a good job at cleaning lenses with no damage to delicate coatings too!  Who'da thunk it?  The same can be said for the chamois lens cleaning cloths that are often included in the box with new optics.

Which kinda begs the question... why worry about whether Windex, acetone, paint thinner, WD-40, diesel, goat's milk and whatever else is safe for lens coatings?  Why take unnecessary risks on your expensive optics when lens cleaning wipes/solutions are so inexpensive and readily available?  I could understand the urge to search for alternatives if the lens cleaning products were prohibitively expensive and/or only available by mail order, but neither is the case.

There's nothing magical about the word "Zeiss" on the Zeiss wipes / spray, since Zeiss doesn't manufacture it, except for the fact that, by putting their logo on the packaging, they obviously endorse its use on their optics.  The same solution is sold under different brand names (Nikon for one).  The reason the Zeiss wipes and lens spray is frequently recommended is not because it has "Zeiss" on the label, but the fact it's so readily available and it's inexpensive.  You can even get it at Wal-Mart.  Because I can pick up some more at the same time I'm buying spaghetti sauce, socks, and AA batteries, I too use the Zeiss wipes almost exclusively for cleaning optics these days.

I'm honestly not trying to be flippant here; I just don't get why anyone would take unnecessary risks with questionable products and spend time calling optics manufacturers to see which chemicals their lens coatings will withstand when a readily available, cheap solution is specifically designed for the task at hand.

A little common sense goes a long way... two thumbs up.
hunterbob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 06:15
Kickboxer
 I had been using Windex for over 50 years on my scopes that I have had, from time to time.
I never ruined one, but anything is possible. If Windex will ruin a scope lens; it can't be a very resilient coating, that's on it. Also I can see where a lot of scrubbing on a lens that has some small grit there can screw it up too. I can count on one hand how many scopes i have had.Get Your Popcorn Ready
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 07:36
Originally posted by hunterbob hunterbob wrote:

Kickboxer
 I had been using Windex for over 50 years on my scopes that I have had, from time to time.
I never ruined one, but anything is possible. If Windex will ruin a scope lens; it can't be a very resilient coating, that's on it. Also I can see where a lot of scrubbing on a lens that has some small grit there can screw it up too. I can count on one hand how many scopes i have had.Get Your Popcorn Ready
I'm extremely happy for you...  I, on the other hand, have NEVER used Windex on a riflescope and have never had a scratch on any lens at any time.  I can't remember ever  having had a streak.  I have had DOZENS of scopes... still have most of them, except for the ones I shot with my .458 Lott.
I've sold a few to people who wanted them more than I did and I've let a few go with rifles that I got rid of.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 07:52

I'm honestly not trying to be flippant here; I just don't get why anyone would take unnecessary risks with questionable products and spend time calling optics manufacturers to see which chemicals their lens coatings will withstand when a readily available, cheap solution is specifically designed for the task at hand.

'nough said!!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 08:20
while sitting in the stand I use Peanut butter. I apply a light heavy coat and swirl in circles for about 5 minutes. I then wipe if off with a slice of white bread (wheat doesn't work as well). This not only cleans my glass but also polishes to a nice and bright finish. Doing this I get 10 1/2 to 12 3/8 percent better light transmittance. If the glass is extra dirty I use chunky Peanut butter and wipe it off with  non buttered toast ( I hate getting butter on my glass) it will dissolve the special UV coatings that gather light. This also make for a pretty good snack if your glass is clean while in the stand. Please do not try this. Is has taken me many many years to prefect this method of cleaning. If you do want to try this start with a cheap Leupold scope or bino's with a larger objective. The larger objective will allow you to get the swirling technique correct before you use it on a nice scope like a BSA or something of that line.

It really all boils down to " use what you want to use". Just remember to keep us posted on the customer service.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 11:02

Get in out of the heat,Bd!!!!!!!!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
GHILLIE.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHILLIE.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 13:58
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Originally posted by hunterbob hunterbob wrote:

Kickboxer
I'm extremely happy for you...  I, on the other hand, have NEVER used Windex on a riflescope and have never had a scratch on any lens at any time.  I can't remember ever  having had a streak.  I have had DOZENS of scopes... still have most of them, except for the ones I shot with my .458 Lott.
I've sold a few to people who wanted them more than I did and I've let a few go with rifles that I got rid of.
Well what do you use to clean your glass with Kickboxer?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 14:36
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 15:58

I should like to wager on that answer.

I bet he uses some product, explicitly designed and sold for the purpose of cleaning coated lenses, and a product that optics companies known for good glass recommend.
If anyone is wondering, I prefer the Zeiss moistened optics lense papers, preceeded by a bulb brush. If out of the wipes, i use alcohol and lense paper. If that isn't around, i leave the lenses dirty as hell till i can clean them properly. I have no streaks, no damaged lenses or coatings, and no damaged seals.

But maybe that's just me.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 16:01
Some coatings can take it some can't.   ;)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 18:21
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I should like to wager on that answer.

I bet he uses some product, explicitly designed and sold for the purpose of cleaning coated lenses, and a product that optics companies known for good glass recommend.
If anyone is wondering, I prefer the Zeiss moistened optics lense papers, preceeded by a bulb brush. If out of the wipes, i use alcohol and lense paper. If that isn't around, i leave the lenses dirty as hell till i can clean them properly. I have no streaks, no damaged lenses or coatings, and no damaged seals.

But maybe that's just me.

Exactly what I do...

triple play View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple play Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 10:33
Not a lot of discussion about Parker's Perfect. Any expert comments or just informational comments?? I have used both Zeiss spray and wipes for years-still gonna fog up in the field. I have some Parker's that I thought  might help with that-I use it for a shower shaving mirror. Gonna give the guns and scopes a preseason check-up soon and wondered about the Parker's. Not a whole lot of info. in the search history either.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 16:28
Originally posted by triple play triple play wrote:

Not a lot of discussion about Parker's Perfect. Any expert comments or just informational comments?? I have used both Zeiss spray and wipes for years-still gonna fog up in the field. I have some Parker's that I thought  might help with that-I use it for a shower shaving mirror. Gonna give the guns and scopes a preseason check-up soon and wondered about the Parker's. Not a whole lot of info. in the search history either.

Like most of the well informed, I tend to keep it simple......Zeiss lens wipes and/or Zeiss lens spray cleaner.  Parker's Perfect helps eliminate fog on the outside of your lenses.  I don'd consider it a cleaner. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic