OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spotting scope help.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2012 at 09:21
Thanks!
When talking about a  camera/monitor, are you referring to having a camera mounted near the target monitoring the bullet holes and sending an image back to a laptop or whatever where I am shooting from instead of using a spotting scope? 
If so, that is an interesting alternative.  Problem is that there are tresspassers.  I found a metal plate, painted white,  two days ago that is about 32"x32" and an eight inch thick that someone had placed on my range and was shooting .22's  at from a distance of about 30 yards.  Strange part is that they had to lug this steel plate in through the adjacent woods to put it on my range, and it is somewhat heavy.  Why not just sit it up against a tree in the woods and shoot it there?  I am going to put a .50 hole in it and write a little note on it about tresspassing.  Their .22 didn't even dent this metal so god knows where their ricochetts were going.

As f/u to the OP, I am still shopping for spotting scopes.  I have been looking at used 77 televids but may start looking at some of the other scopes you guys mentioned.
sniperdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 08:49
OK, I decided to go top end but my brain is full of questions:
Is there more than one type of Kowa 883?  (is there an HD vs Non HD?)  Is the 883 better than the top of the line Swaro or Leica for my use (see below)?
How much difference in image quality is there between the Swaro HD vs Non HD - this scope will be used at a shooting range exclusively, so I can adjust whether the target is on a white paper background, red paper, etc.
Is the Razor as good as the three makes above or is it slightly "worse" but a great price for the quality?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 13:15
Originally posted by sniperdog sniperdog wrote:

OK, I decided to go top end but my brain is full of questions:
Is there more than one type of Kowa 883?  (is there an HD vs Non HD?)  Is the 883 better than the top of the line Swaro or Leica for my use (see below)?
How much difference in image quality is there between the Swaro HD vs Non HD - this scope will be used at a shooting range exclusively, so I can adjust whether the target is on a white paper background, red paper, etc.
Is the Razor as good as the three makes above or is it slightly "worse" but a great price for the quality?
 Checking SWFA's site, I don't think there is a difference in the Kowa 880 series other than maybe eyepieces. I think they are all top of the line.
As far as which is better, Kowa, Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss I couldn't say. They are all alpha glass and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. There might be a slight difference to your eyes between them, but I think any of them will accomplish what you want. If they don't, then your probably out of luck finding a spotting scope to do what you want, since they are top of the line.
As for the Razor, from what I have heard, it is as close as you can get to alpha glass without paying for it. I hope to look through one in the next couple of weeks, but I can oly compare it to a Pentax PF80.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 13:33
If you're going top shelf, the Kowa 883 (angled) or 884 (straight) are the best on the planet.  Dont waste your time with anything else.  They're also cheaper than the other alphas, which is icing on the cake.  As beltfed says, the Razor is pretty close and 1/2 the money.  
sniperdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 15:29
As an update to my original post, I ended up buying the Kowa 883.  I like it a lot.  I can easily see 7.62 holes at 500 yards assuming no miraging, using simple white paper.  (I had it out yesterday - there was snow on the ground, hazy sun.).
Ill report back on .223 hole when I take that out, which should be soon, weather dependent.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 15:51
Originally posted by sniperdog sniperdog wrote:

As an update to my original post, I ended up buying the Kowa 883.  I like it a lot.  I can easily see 7.62 holes at 500 yards assuming no miraging, using simple white paper.  (I had it out yesterday - there was snow on the ground, hazy sun.).
Ill report back on .223 hole when I take that out, which should be soon, weather dependent.

sniperdog, you have good taste, I think you'll love

Peddler CoolCoolCool
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
sniperdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sniperdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 11:53
I think you are right.
The 223 holes were surprisingly easy to see at 500 yards yesterday, and it was cloudy out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic