OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scoping My Custom Mini-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoping My Custom Mini-14
    Posted: June/28/2012 at 19:01
Because of the peculiarities of California law my go to rifles for any emergency are my Mini-14s and my M1a. I'd planned on leaving them optic free but ran across a scope mount that allows me to use my Mini-14 Ranch Rifle sights even with a scope mounted. I'm still debating having a scope on it or not but for now I've mounted a spare Weaver K4 4x32 shotgun scope that I had laying around. Minis are notoriously hard on scopes - every bit as hard on a scope as an airgun due to operating rod inertia so I thought I'd ask everyone's opinion.... scope or no scope? If scoped leave the K4? Replace it with a Weaver V3 1-3x20? Swap in my Nikon Monarch 2-8x32? Will those other scopes hold up to the airgun like reverse shock? 

Thanks!

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 22:46
I had an Aimpoint on my mini-14.  LOVED it.  You are probably looking for something different.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 23:06
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I had an Aimpoint on my mini-14.  LOVED it.  You are probably looking for something different.  

I really like my Minis' open sights but it might be nice to be able to reach out further (200yds) than my old eyes see clearly. If I had unlimited money I'd go for a SS 1-6x but realistically it's between the K4 I already own, a V3, or my Monarch 2-8x32 - or just stick with open sights. I thought about the Nikon M-223 2-8x32 but between the absolutely horrible reviews and not wanting to spend anything that's out for now. The thing is that you almost need an airgun rated scope.
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2012 at 23:13
Yes, either the 1-4 or 1-6 would be nice.  Check the sample list.  You might be able to work a trade deal.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 09:44
I would lean toward the V3. It is a nice little scope and it will work well on the Mini-14.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 11:26
I just spoke to Weaver technical support and they said that the V3 and the entire Classic line is rated for Airguns and the Mini's are no problem for it. I think I'll go that route. 

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 17:26
For now I swapped the V3 and K4 Shotgun (50yd parallax) between my Mini-14 and M&P15-22 and I think it was a good move.  I may still buy another V3 down the road for the M&P15-22. Note the looooooonnnnnng eye relief on that shotgun scope. I have two but never used them on a 10/22 because the eye relief was too long, but hey I'm all set should I ever want to scope a .450 Marlin or anything crazy like that. Big Grin

Mini-14 Before:

Mini-14 After:

M&P15-22 Before:

M&P15-22 After:

Edited by sholling - July/04/2012 at 17:50

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic