OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Archery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Shoot'em All

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shoot'em All
    Posted: June/28/2012 at 21:05
Well not quite, but I shot a lot of stuff yesterday.

Wife and I went to Sioux City, Ia yesterday for a concert, she wanted to shop before hand so we went to the mall first. There happens to be a Scheels there.

Since I've been kicking around the idea of a new bow I thought I would shoot what they had in my draw length. So I got to shoot:

Bowtech Insanity CPX- holy S@#t that thing is fast
Diamond Fugitive
Diamond Assasin
Elite Answer
Mathews Heli M- that thing is light- and no creep (not sure if the creep thing is good or bad)

Got to say that it would boil down to a CPX if I went for speed and its kind of draw between the Answer and the Heli. I think the Answer is a touch faster (not excatly sure though), but I definitely like the Mathews grip better.

So after we left the mall we went to another small shop who deals in Hoyts. There I shot.

Vector 32
Vector 35
Carbon Matrix
Martin Onza

Of those I would choose the Matrix if money wasn't an issue or the Vector 32. Both felt pretty good.

So, about all I accomplished is figuring out I will have to most likely spend something north of $750 for something I feel is better than the Carnivore.

Can someone explain the advantages and disadvantages between a single cam and dual cam system.

Last thing- I might just keep the Carnivore and buy something else anyway so I would need to help my brother find something to shoot. He's kind of interested in the older Mathews stuff, what are good, solid, problem free models to look at from the Mathews line of saw 3 or so years ago.

Thanks guys
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 07:51
I would be less worried about speed and more worried about the other feel of the bow.  While chasing speed is fun critters have been being killed with bows when arrows barely topped 150-200 FPS.  Its nice to have a fast bow but i wouldnt let that make me buy a bow that wasn't as comfortable as one a bit slower.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 10:08
I'm definitely not a speed guy, but it was cool seeing that arrow scream for mercy. Right now I would be leaning to the Mathews  based off of weight and feel, the Hoyt Vector 32 would also be right there. I think I will try to shoot them again when I get to another Scheels store here in a few weeks.

Any suggestions on reliable older Mathews models to look at? I thought of the Switchback, Outback, and Dxt. Any thoughts on these or others?
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 10:33
+10

The thing about speed is until they build one that is faster than sound you are better to look for quiet. You get into the dual cam bows which are usually the faster bows. You also get into much higher stress, vibrations ie. noise. Now Mattews has come along way with string and riser dampeners but I have found that the dual cam bows have to be watched much closer for tuning than the single cams. I have to confess too that I am about two yrs behind on the latest tech so if significant improvment has been made with dual cams I'm not aware of it. If you get a bow shooting 280fps. to 330fps. and is quiet then you are about as well equiped as I beleive you can get. Then as with all of us its up to you to pratice proper shooting form and put the stick on the dot. Be mindful also that the stuff you bolt on the bow has a great deal to do with noise too. I'm not always real popular for this theory but I'll share it anyway. Try not to set yourself up with too high a draw weight. Set it up to your proper draw length and if it is capable of 70lbs. have it set at 62 to 66lbs. This will have you shooting in your comfort zone and is not maxing the bow. This will help it stay tuned, last longer and is almost always quiter.

As for older top end bows I'd hunt down a Matthews Outback ?+/-Switchback 315+/-, Drenalin 320+/-, or a Hyperlite 305+/-. Not that I'm all or none Matthews I am also a great fan of Hoyt but, for bows 3yrs or older I beleive these Matthews will be the quietest.

Just remember quiet first, speed second.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

Here is a chart I found for some older bows and speeds.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 14:45
Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

I'm definitely not a speed guy, but it was cool seeing that arrow scream for mercy. Right now I would be leaning to the Mathews  based off of weight and feel, the Hoyt Vector 32 would also be right there. I think I will try to shoot them again when I get to another Scheels store here in a few weeks.

Any suggestions on reliable older Mathews models to look at? I thought of the Switchback, Outback, and Dxt. Any thoughts on these or others?

Well put Graham.  I completely agree.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 14:52

I have the Switchback XT and by my favorite so far. I evaluated the Destroyer, Assassian, Hel-M, MR8, and several different Hoyt bows. And the break on the Switchback is by far tops for me.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 16:48
Hey thanks guys. I'm really thinking hard for the heli m, my only concern was the lack of creep. When test firing if I moved my shoulder at all forward, the cams wanted to take off. I've read several posts on this and apparently the issue has been addressed by Mathews with smaller draw stops. I didn't know to ask if the bow I shot had the original larger stops or not. I would be curious as to what it would feel like with the smaller stops.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 22:00
Any body have or shot a Reezen 6.5. I found one for $500 with rest and string stop. I'm not sure what year it is or for how many it was made or what rest it comes with. I'm still thinking of saving up for the Heli M.

Any thoughs?
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 21:37
Well, I decided to hang on to the Carnivore for at least another year, maybe longer. I ordered a new set of Vaportrail VTX strings in black/flo green with black serving. Not to wild, just a little "pop". The should be really nice.

I just figured that there is no way I will get even close to what I have invested in this bow back out of it-so I might as well hold onto it to have something to show for the money spent. Beside, I don't shoot it all that bad anyway, and the new strings should be nice.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 06:31
I'm still shootin' an old Hoyt UltraTec from about ten years ago. It's smooth, quiet, accurate, relatively fast and rather deadly. I'm used to it and it works just fine. I see no reason to upgrade. Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 11:29

I have a Mathews FeatherMax.  Is that "older" enough?  Seriously, I put a string stop/deadener on it, and it is best "feel" of any bow I have ever shot.  With that said, my primary bow is a Hoyt Vectrix, bought in Jan. 2007, and I like it because of the marriage of weight, speed, and balance.  Not to mention it's a great bow and tough as nails.  With the Mathews, I treat it more like an antique.  It just doesn't feel as rugged to me.  I'll probably buy another one in the next year or two, but I don't typically sell my old bows.  They are set up for me, shoot for me, and I just don't feel like someone else would truly appreciate them like I do.  Not to mention the history and hunting stories that go with them.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 18:14
Got my vaportrail string and cable set today. What a fast turn around, I called them Monday and had them in the mail at noon today. Sucks I can't get them put on until next week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic