OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How good is the glass in the SWFA SS scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 21:17
Originally posted by dnilson dnilson wrote:

For anyone who wants to share, who makes the VERY BEST glass (price is not an issue).  I spent a fair amount for my precision .308 (right at $4000), so I want the BEST scope I can find, with the best possible glass!!!!  It's for long range shooting. 

Opinions will vary, but if you want the very best LR scope money can buy, I'd look at Hensoldt and/or March.  There may be other optics that are just as good, but none better in an absolute sense.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 21:43

Thanks everyone for the information, but I'm still unclear about what I need.  Maybe I should clarify a couple of things.  The reticle I choose WILL, eventually, be used at maximum power most of the time, because I plan to use it for competitive long distance shooting (1000 + yards) and I DO want an HD scope. Also, I'm prepared to spend as much as it takes ($3000 +)  for the best glass and the most accurate and reliable scope I can find.  If you could have ANY scope for long distance shooting, which one would it be?  Rocket Launcher

Perhaps, just as a suggestion, you would prefer to buy a couple of scopes and see how you like them? The hyper-expensive scopes don't seem to sell for very much less than new prices, on the secondary market, so one would probably not be out too much with such an approach. Plus, then you'd have the benefit of your own preferences and viewpoint, rather than hoping others' preferences, viewpoints, and perceptions of things. Just a thought.
dnilson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2012 at 10:28
I'm really leaning towards a Swarovski Z6i, but no else has even mentioned them.  Why is that?  I've been told they have some of the best glass available.  Is this not the case?  Thanks!
dnilson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2012 at 14:36
Originally posted by MZ5 MZ5 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the information, but I'm still unclear about what I need.  Maybe I should clarify a couple of things.  The reticle I choose WILL, eventually, be used at maximum power most of the time, because I plan to use it for competitive long distance shooting (1000 + yards) and I DO want an HD scope. Also, I'm prepared to spend as much as it takes ($3000 +)  for the best glass and the most accurate and reliable scope I can find.  If you could have ANY scope for long distance shooting, which one would it be?  Rocket Launcher

Perhaps, just as a suggestion, you would prefer to buy a couple of scopes and see how you like them? The hyper-expensive scopes don't seem to sell for very much less than new prices, on the secondary market, so one would probably not be out too much with such an approach. Plus, then you'd have the benefit of your own preferences and viewpoint, rather than hoping others' preferences, viewpoints, and perceptions of things. Just a thought.

I truly hope you're trying to be helpful and not sarcastic.  Hard to tell.  I'm very interested in the preferences, viewpoints and perceptions of others as a means of learning what others, more knowledgeable than I, believe to be the more valuable, high quality optics.  Surely there was a time when you were new and had to learn from others.  Also, I'm not rich, but am comfortable and have worked long and VERY hard for my money, so when I say price is no object, I'm not trying to be ostentatious, just saying that I've worked hard for what I have and can now afford the best (I'm in my 50's).  I love to shoot and would like to compete, but I have a nerve injury in my leg which prevents me from getting involved in 3 gun competitions and I thought long range competitions might be an option...hence the interest in getting the best scope possible.  Also, why buy two scopes, when, with time and learning (believe it or not, I've done quite a bit of research on my own, but there is no substitute for experience and all I'm asking for is help from those with experience, rather than dealing with sales people who have their own agendas), I can buy one, best possible scope and get it right the first time.  

I know S&B makes extremely good optics, but I'm most interested in the very BEST possible glass and the more I read, it appears that Zeiss may make the best glass.  Anyone agree/disagree?  Thanks in advance!
dnilson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2012 at 14:38
Also, I'm not asking for anyone to actually choose the best scope for me, just wanting the consensus on the best possible glass and answers to a few other questions.  I can take it from there.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2012 at 14:47
http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98:high-end-tactical-scopes-part-3&catid=4:rifle-scope-reviews&Itemid=4
 This about the most comprehensive review I have read on the glass in the SWFA SS 5-20. And it is compared to some other very good scopes.

edit for spelling.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2012 at 16:09

I'm really leaning towards a Swarovski Z6i, but no else has even mentioned them.  Why is that?  I've been told they have some of the best glass available.  Is this not the case?  Thanks!

The z6 is a great scope. But they are hunting scopes. It would not do the role of target/ tactical scope very well. There are others that would be much better
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2012 at 17:19
Best glass for me would be either be S&B or Hensoldt.
For me I would go with S&B because of a reticle option I prefer.
Never used a March.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2012 at 14:27

I truly hope you're trying to be helpful and not sarcastic.

Correct.  I understand exactly what you mean about seeking opinions, and I do this myself.  OTOH, I find it to be very common for me that just because someone else likes a particular television set (something we've purchased recently) doesn't mean that I do.  Audio and visual items/characteristics, I have found, are quite subjective.  Many people have told me, sticking with the television example, that I need to be looking at the 'quality' of the black areas of the screen/picture.  I have found that, while I understand what they're saying, I don't particularly care about that.  I care much more about the colors on the screen, and how true-to-life they look to me.  I've also found that just because I like the color of a particular set, doesn't mean that most others do.  I have found this in part by looking at sets in person, and in part by buying one/some and discovering it's/they're not my preference.  I've done the same thing with riflescopes.

So, I may have mis-taken what I thought I detected coming through in the thread.  Either way, with the budget you have allocated, I think you have the latitude to try a couple of things and see what you like, first-hand, for yourself.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2012 at 14:52

Yes, theZ6 does have some of the best glass out there- at least for hunting scopes- not comparing to tactical glass.

For me, the Z6 beats out the top end Zeiss, but we're splitting hairs... better very low light resolution and just some (to me) indefinable quality/comfortable view in the Z6.
Others will likely have a different opinion.

disclaimer: I don't own a Z6, just a PH, but a year and a half or so ago, the good folks at Heartland Outdoors in Edmond, OK let me do a fairly involved low light test with a Z6 and a Diavari, hence the "opinion".
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2012 at 15:19
Scott

Since your are on the eastcoast specifically SC, you might try to PM Cheaptrick or SVT, I'm not sure how far geographically they are from you, but they may hook up with you and let you check out there SS.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2012 at 15:28
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Scott

Since your are on the eastcoast specifically SC, you might try to PM Cheaptrick or SVT, I'm not sure how far geographically they are from you, but they may hook up with you and let you check out there SS.
I'd be more than willing to set that up.  I think between me and Cheap we got the southern side of NC covered pretty good.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/05/2012 at 15:39
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Scott

I'd be more than willing to set that up.  I think between me and Cheap we got the southern side of NC covered pretty good.

SWEET Big Grin

Scott there you go, one guy more than willing to hook up with you.  Have to love this forum.
Boblor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boblor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 13:19
March X Tactical  5x50 or 8x80.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 22:27
This would be my pick for long range if price was no object:
Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight
Stock # - ZEI10139090
  • Matte
  • Illuminated H37
  • 34mm
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • 0.1 MRAD
  • 1st Focal Plane Reticle
$3,962.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 22:36
+1, except I would choose any other reticle over the Horus! I wouldn't want to clutter up that sight picture with a Christmas Tree...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 22:44
Unfortunately for me price is what holds me back so my best scope is a 5-20x50 Super Sniper, and I do have a couple of Leupold Mk4 scopes that I also enjoy.   Some day I would dearly love to have a U.S. Optics scope but I have been really pleased with the Super Sniper scopes I have owned considering the value I recieved for the dollars I paid.  I particularly like the fixed 6x42 and I believe that the glass in those $299.95 scopes is quite acceptable for my use.  I recently ordered this one 16x42 MQ.
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53715.aspx
I understand the idea that good glass is important but I also understand that you can have the worlds best glass and not have tactical knobs to dial in correction like Swarovski hunting scopes and you may end your hunt by seeing a great view through the best glass as the deer runs away because you couldnt dial in correction.  Anytime you select one scope over another there are trade offs and a guy has to weight what is important to him.  I think guys that hunt should limit the distance they choose to shoot large game at to the distance they regularly practice.  I prefer to shoot my deer at 200 yds or less most of the time its way less because I hunt a bow more than a firearm.  Would I be comfortable shooting a deer at longer distances sure but I would spend time on the range at the distances I wished to work at and know how to correct for the trajectory and wind.  Top Quality Glass may be nice to have but try to keep in mind that the quality of glass from only a few years ago say Vietnam era is nowhere what the quality of glass is in an HD Super Sniper or a Zeiss Conquest today.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 22:46
I know the christmas tree Horus reticle looks busy but I kind of like it and would enjoy having it but reticle is a personal preference issue.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 08:56
The "Christmas tree" reticles have grown on me.

Old dog, new trick, or something.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 09:21
I've got a Diavari and Z6 as well as other Swarovski's.  IMO the Zeiss is slightly more crisp and I prefer the FFP on a hunting scope.  So if the question is best glass, I'd have to say the best scope I've ever looked through is a Zeiss.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic