OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

338 275g ALL LOST AND NOTHING gAINED.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 338 275g ALL LOST AND NOTHING gAINED.
    Posted: July/06/2012 at 17:58

Man did that shoot and hit hard in the 338>>and cheap> I think that was its death!>> then the man and the mags said you need super 338 lighter bullits that are better but we will charge you like 3 times the price , but you got a better projectile!

Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 18:04
If you can find them Get Them>> they where dirt Cheap When they where made. But Boy Do they shoot out of a 338 Win Mag. 
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 18:08
Speer 275G round noise> look for them the best shooting bullet you can get out of your 338 hands down!~
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 18:14
Best bullet ever made for the 338!
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 18:16
I think your best bet is to go to Garage sale, I was lucky I hit a clsing hunting store some time ago and loaded up! for a life time. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 18:30
Bucky
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 18:43
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Bucky

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 18:54
Opinion, untempered by fact, is ignorance.

Why???????
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 18:57

who has shot a speer 275 round nose out of their 338??? Like to hear.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 19:31
I've not shot 338 WinMag in a long time.  I think it is very difficult to find 275gr Speer these days.  My 338-06 was destroyed in a fire and I never got to use it.  One of the custom shops was going to load some of the 275 Speers for me for the 338-06.  In the WinMag they were pretty good, but there are other bullets out there that are better.  I use 338LapuaMagnum now.  Almost purchased a 338WM not long ago, but it sold for more than I was willing to pay.  The Speer is a good bullet, but it is not the best available in today's market.  With proper shot placement it will definitely take down any big game in North America.  There are some solid DG rounds that I have never tried.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 19:36

The 275 didn't have a very desireable BC, and there are some excellent high-BC 338 pills available out there.

What shoots for one rifle might not for the next...
-Matt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 19:37
Originally posted by Rant Rant wrote:

Opinion, untempered by fact, is ignorance.

Why???????

If your opinion is not "tempered by" (read based on) fact, what is it based upon?  Your own personal "FEELINGS"?  Let's say you know absolutely nothing about physics and I ask you your opinion about what happens to a bullet when it leaves the barrel of the rifle. What meaning would your opinion have? What validity would it have?  If you have no facts upon which to base your opinion, it is merely IGNORANCE.  

Is that clear enough?

Edited by Kickboxer - July/07/2012 at 10:25

Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/06/2012 at 19:54
MY!
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 02:38
I tried some of the Speer 275's..not impressed, either were others who tried them.
A buddy used the Speer 275 once, I had to follow up and finish with a Nosler Partition 250 grain.
The Nosler Partition 250 grain has superior penetration and opens almost as wide..at over 2200 ft per second muzzle velocity the Speer destroyed much more meat than the Nosler and close in does not penetrate very well.
The Swift A-Frame 275 grain is a whole different story..deep penetration, even at close range.
The 250 grain Nosler Partition, the 250 grain Speer Grand Slam and the 250 and 275 grain Swift A-Frame are superior bullets.
Here in Alaska lots of .338 Win Mag and Weatherby Mag get used, so we have plenty of chances to see how the bullets perform on bear, bison and moose.
Not impressed with the Speer 275..even Elmer Keith admitted having problems with it in .338 Win Mag used close in.
Winchester made two batches of 300 grain .338 Win Mag bullets that held together, I used mostly those and sold my remaining stash to a guide who knew about those lot numbers.
The other batches were too soft, they would expand on a lung shot on a little 100 pound deer and like some of the Speer 275's could be crushed with your fingers.
I moved on to the Nosler 250 grain Partition and never looked back.
Big difference blasting a small deer or even a small elk versus bear or moose which can kill you if the bullet does not work right.
YMMV but I will use a tougher bullet with less recoil.
Thanks
Art

Good day.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 16:38

Speer 275G round noise> look for them the best shooting bullet you can get out of your 338 hands down!~
You really don't have one single clue do you? There are many different 338 calibers out there, used for many different things. Saying this bullet is THE BEST, is crazy. That's like saying my 16 LB tactical .338 Norma magnum is the BEST hunting rifle. I'd sure hate to be the poor sucker carrying that in a high mountain sheep hunt. Same as being the poor sucker who enters a tactical competition where ranges are from 800-1500 yards shooting a 275 gr. round nose because YOU told him it was the best 338 bullet there is.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 16:58
A buddy used the Speer 275 once, I had to follow up and finish with a Nosler Partition 250 grain.
Where did he shoot it???? in the Hoof!
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 17:47
Rant..it was on a moose, shot was from front, penetrated about four to six inches and ended up as a mashed ball.
I had to take a angled shot from back lungs and ribs to front, my Nosler Paritition penetrated a little over twenty four inches diagonally and was found stuck partway through the hide.
I have not heard of any guides who were happy with that Speer bullet, many used the Nosler Partition with excellent results.
For some reason the factory loads in .375 H&H had bullet problems in the 1980's, many guides went with the .338 Win Mag because of the excellent performance of the 250 grain Nosler Partition.
John Barness, one of my favorite gun mag writers, mentioned this in an article he did for either "Rifle" or "Handloader" several years ago.
This is an open forum so I will not go into how many bear I had to shoot "on the job" but it was substantial number, also spent time talking to a number of guides and assistant guides.
Having to stop a charging bear several times a year is different than shooting a deer or elk.
I operated in the real world and performance of the bullet was literally a life and death matter.
My experience and that of quite a few others has convinced me of the lack of effectiveness of the Speer 275 grain bullet..it just was not up to the job from the .338 Win Mag or the .340 Weatherby Mag.
That is my experience and the experience of many others, YMMV, so be it.
Art
Good day.
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 19:15
Very intro but sorry I do not believe you sorry!
Rant View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 19:21
Maybe it went through the moose and then hit a passing train ,then you found the train stoped and then dug out the Bullet>> I could Believe That!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 21:52

Very intro but sorry I do not believe you sorry!

I think you are the one who is unbelievable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic