OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best long range accuracy for .308

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 19:30
DoD contract doesn't mean it's the best or most suitable... just "adequate"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 19:46
I run 175's in my M-21 at 2500 fps ( sierra accuracy load is 2485 pfs )  and they run quite well at 1K.
Better in fact than I'd admit on the internet  :)

Also have run 190's in the bolt gun at 2450 with pretty fair results at distance.

I can't explain the Re-15 thing,  but have experienced it on NRA ranges; all the flags are pointing same direction and the bullet goes way out into the wind, or goes way high or way low.  And this is from weighed charges.  No idea on why; guess that's why it's called shooting and not hitting.

BTW, DOD accuracy for the 118 load is only 10 shots into a 10 wide by 14 tall area at 600 meters.
Not all that impressive, and having shot a metric ton of the stuff, that's about all it will do most days.

MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 20:44
I'm more a 223 person, but my brother loves his 10FP in 308.  He shoots the 175 SMK over W-748 to 1200 yards.  Rings that gong with rather annoying regularity... :)
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 20:54
I'll be the odd guy here.
I'm using Win. cases, Fed 210M primers, 43.0 gr.s of Win 748, and 175gr SMK, in a Savage FP 10 with a Bell and Carlson stock.
Here's a 200yd group I shot about a month ago with this load. 20 rounds as fast as I could hit. Oh, and they were pulled military 175gr SMKs.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 01:39
During the great component shortage a few years ago when I could not buy Varget I used IMR 4320 with great success in both .308 w 155's & 168's and the .30-06 w 150's. The short IMR 4320 powder grains measured well thru my powder measure without weighing and velocities were slightly higher with a grain or two more than Varget.

I have not bought any Re15 for many years because I get better results with Varget.  Except for 165 gr. hunting bullets used in the .30-06, I use 155's for most of my shooting 600 yds and under and recently bought some 175 gr. Barnes Match Burners that I plan to use in the .308 w Varget for longer ranges. 
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 06:49
BF,
You know that's the handloaders exact duplicate of federal Gold Medal Match doncha??

Nice shooting!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 09:40
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

BF,
You know that's the handloaders exact duplicate of federal Gold Medal Match doncha??

Nice shooting!
Thanks Mike.

No I didn't know that.
I did a lot of experimenting, using different components, to come up with this load. I even used Varget, and had better luck with 748; go figure.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 11:42
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I'll be the odd guy here.
I'm using Win. cases, Fed 210M primers, 43.0 gr.s of Win 748, and 175gr SMK, in a Savage FP 10 with a Bell and Carlson stock.

Yep, 43 is the load!
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 11:47
I recommend the Berger 175 gr. OTM hybrids. They're designed to be loaded to mag length yet remain stable through trans-sonic flight. I've been running them out of an 11.25 twist. You can go heavier but recoil increases as well. Shooter fatigue will screw you up just as much as wind can.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic