OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

leupold scope blurry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leupold scope blurry
    Posted: July/10/2012 at 17:19
Hello everyone. I need some information on a situation that happened recently.

My brother-in-law and I were out shooting guns. He brought along his .44 mag ruger with a leupold scope. We both shot it and everything was fine. However, at one time I happened to be standing about 3 or 4 feet away from him when I took a shot with a 7mm mag. At this point, he went to take a shot with his ruger and noticed his scope was now blurry and could not see through it very well. I dont know much about leupold scopes but I couldnt find any way to focus it.

Could the concussive force of my shot have damaged his scope? Im being blamed for it but it wasnt like I had any idea that it would have caused any damage.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2012 at 17:28
Don't worry Leupold has a lifetime warranty and their customer service is excellent.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2012 at 22:39
Did the diopter adjustment get moved? That is the ring on the end of the eye piece.
MasterX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 08:30
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Don't worry Leupold has a lifetime warranty and their customer service is excellent.

Thanks, that is good to know. I was afraid the warranty had expired.
MasterX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 08:31
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Did the diopter adjustment get moved? That is the ring on the end of the eye piece.

Thats what I had thought but I couldnt find any pieces that moved that would focus the lenses.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 09:02
There's a threaded portion between the eyepiece and the power ring (if it's a variable power scope).  The whole eyepiece housing is screwed onto these threads.  This allows the eyepiece to move forward and backward to adjust the focal length of the eyepiece and focus the reticle (and in the process, the target image).  Just in front of the eyepiece housing is a lock ring.  This lock ring keeps the eyepiece from rotating once your diopter (focus) is set.  Unscrew this lock ring to free up the eyepiece.  Then slowly turn the eyepiece in either direction while looking at the sky or a light colored background such as a white wall and stop turning when the reticle appears most sharply focused.  If focus gets worse when you start rotating the eyepiece, you know you're going in the wrong direction, so reverse the rotation.  Rotate a little at a time, making certain to look away from the scope occasionally while doing this so your eye doesn't have time to try to adjust to an out of focus reticle.  Once the best focus is achieved, retighten the lock ring against the eyepiece again to lock that setting in place.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
MasterX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 10:43
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

There's a threaded portion between the eyepiece and the power ring (if it's a variable power scope).  The whole eyepiece housing is screwed onto these threads.  This allows the eyepiece to move forward and backward to adjust the focal length of the eyepiece and focus the reticle (and in the process, the target image).  Just in front of the eyepiece housing is a lock ring.  This lock ring keeps the eyepiece from rotating once your diopter (focus) is set.  Unscrew this lock ring to free up the eyepiece.  Then slowly turn the eyepiece in either direction while looking at the sky or a light colored background such as a white wall and stop turning when the reticle appears most sharply focused.  If focus gets worse when you start rotating the eyepiece, you know you're going in the wrong direction, so reverse the rotation.  Rotate a little at a time, making certain to look away from the scope occasionally while doing this so your eye doesn't have time to try to adjust to an out of focus reticle.  Once the best focus is achieved, retighten the lock ring against the eyepiece again to lock that setting in place.

Thanks for the info, its very helpful. I will have to check for a lock ring. I have no idea what the model is but does leupold make any scopes that are fixed in focus?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 11:07
Originally posted by MasterX MasterX wrote:

I have no idea what the model is but does leupold make any scopes that are fixed in focus?

No.  All rifle scopes of any brand I'm aware of have a means of diopter focusing, either using the traditional threaded eyepiece housing as used on the Leupold, or a fixed eyepiece housing with separate fast focus adjustment on the end of the eyepiece.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
MasterX View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MasterX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 12:18
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by MasterX MasterX wrote:

I have no idea what the model is but does leupold make any scopes that are fixed in focus?

No.  All rifle scopes of any brand I'm aware of have a means of diopter focusing, either using the traditional threaded eyepiece housing as used on the Leupold, or a fixed eyepiece housing with separate fast focus adjustment on the end of the eyepiece.

Thanks again. I will take another look and follow up with a post on my findings.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 14:49
The concussive force may have had some effect.  That force is perhaps greater than one might imagine.  Logic would seem to indicate that the thrust forces of recoil would indicate that the scope should have not been affected by the blast.  Actually I think your BIL might have been more affected, I might have had something to say to a 7mm Mag shooter touching off a 3-4 feet away from me.  But maybe the scope's time was up that day anyway. 

Take Rifle Dude's advice on the focus ring.  I'd loosen the ring and back the ocular out on the threads a ways and start moving inward.  That is a painfully slow focus process and it may take some movement before focus is noted.  Maybe the focus ring was loose and had been loose and finally backed off enough thgrough repeated recoil forces.  You will need to balance the fine focus of the reticle against fine focus of the image.  Getting the two to focus together is the trick.

If that does not work then send it to Leupold for and inspect and repair as needed checkup.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic