OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AK TACTICAL SCOPE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1winnen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AK TACTICAL SCOPE
    Posted: July/11/2012 at 09:39
Hi. First let me state that I'm retired and on a limited budget so I'm trying not to spend more then say $100. I'm looking at 2 scopes for my AK which I've modified with a Leapers AK-47 TriRail Tactical See Thru Scope Mount, Fusion AK-47 Upper and Lower Handguard and a AK-47 T6 Folding Stock. The 2 scopes I'm looking at are the NcSTAR 2-7x32 Compact Scope 3 Rail Sighting System / Blue Illuminated Mil-Dot and a NcSTAR Mark III Tactical 3-9x42 mm Mil-Dot Scope from Walmart. I realize the max range for my AK is about 300yds but I would like a good Tactical for it. I would appreciate any comments and/or suggestions. Thanks.
1winnen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1winnen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 07:15
Well I guess no one has any comments or suggestions. I wish I could afford to spend more but like I said being on a fixed income it's just not possible. Thanks anyway.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 07:37
Didn't see this til now.  I'll offer my 2 cents, don't waste your money on either.  Save a bit more and use irons until then.  You ultimatly will not be happy with the substandard glass and you'll be lucky if either hold zero through initial sight in.  Very few scopes come to mind that would be worth recommending IMO for your current budget.  that said here are a few to look at that would be MUCH better than the NcStars you're looking at

Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire Rifle Scope Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORCF231001
  • Matte
  • V-Plex
  • 1"
$119.95 
Add Vortex 2-7x32 Crossfire Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
This is slightly over the $100 limit but Vortex has one of the best warranties in the business. If it breaks they fix it no questions asked or replace it.  I'd want that kinda warranty on this price point of scopes.

Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope Plex Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
Stock # - SI39X40GL
  • Gloss
  • Plex
  • 1"
$119.95 
Add Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
About the same story here. Sightron also has great Customer Service.

Swift 4x32 Reliant Rifle Scope Quadraplex Swift 4x32 Reliant Rifle Scope
Stock # - SR668M
  • Matte
  • Quadraplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coated
  • Parallax Set at 100 yds
$110.95 
Not heard much on this one but its one of the few fixed I've seen at this price level, typically fixed scopes have less moving parts so less likely to have a failure.  At this price level that may be something to consider.

Weaver 2-7x32 Kaspa Rifle Scope Weaver 2-7x32 Kaspa Rifle Scope
Stock # - WEA849801
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$84.95 
Not sure if these are even shipping yet but Weaver is a good company and stands behind their products also. 

Hope these help guide you a bit.  BTW welcome to the OT
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 07:52

SVT is right. the glass on these would be much better, and general overal quality, and the most important part is that your point of impact won’t change. You MIGHT get the gun zeroed with  ncstar, but how long it will holds that zero is unknowable, but probably not long.  Leapers, NCstar, Countersniper scopes, are designed to be ugly paper weights.  The scopes SVT mentioned about will last you, you will be much more satisfied and you will be getting your money’s worth.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
1winnen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1winnen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 08:41
Thanks for the suggestions. Are there any with Mil-dot reticles in either the 2-7 or 3-9 varable tht any of you would suggests in say the $100-150 price range?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 08:59
Going up to $150 -
Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope Plex Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope
Stock # - 200161
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Hunter Knobs
$147.95 
Add Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
Good scope, Burris is a great company as well.  Plenty of these in use out there.

Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope Mil-Dot Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
Stock # - SI39X40MD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
$137.95 
Add Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Already talked about the Sightron SI's.  I believe if if you really want MilDot this is going to be the best option

Leatherwood 1.5-6x42 Professional 30mm Rifle Scope 2-Plex Leatherwood 1.5-6x42 Professional 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - PR156X42
  • Matte
  • 2-Plex
  • 30mm
$149.95 
Compact scope with a nice mag range.  Never used it but heard good things about it.

Of all thats listed, I'd go Sightron but thats just my pick.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 09:06
Changing gears a bit because of the known accuracy, or lack there of on most AK's, i'd also look at red dots, here are a few from the Sample List that may work as well as a scope or two that would be close to budget but get you better glass.
Aimpoint 5000 Red Dot Sight DEMO-C 

Burris 1x FastFire Red-Dot Reflex Sight DEMO-B 

Burris 3-9x32 Mini / Compact Rifle Scope DEMO-C

Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam Rifle Scope DEMO-C 

Then again if your wanting new only -
these would work well and they are Vortex. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2012 at 13:04
OK. 

The first step would be to take that Leapers Tri-rail mount and throw it in the garbage (or use it as paper weigh or something along those lines).

Both of the scopes you are looking at also make respectable paperweights, but their utility in any other capacity is severely limited.

Get a proper AK sidemount of some sort (there are sidemount to weaver versions).  Then mount a simple scope from a reasonably well known maker on it.

Forget the whole tactical business.  In your price range it simply does not exist. 

Get a Pentax Gameseeker scope.  There are a few of them in your price range.

There is nothing wrong with being on a budget.  However, if you are on a tight budget, stay away from scopes that offer a large number of features.  That almost guarantees that they will not work.

Stick with the basics.

ILya
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2012 at 13:32
I agree with the others - it's cheaper to buy a better scope once than it is to buy a glorified paperweight and replace it when it breaks. 
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2012 at 13:42
Swap the mount, and get the Sightron.  Mil Dots are kind of tatical.
-Matt
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2012 at 16:30
What Ilya Koshkin said.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
1winnen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1winnen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 20:21
I would like to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions. However, I can't see throwing away about $100, Leapers Trirail Mount and Truglo Red Dot Dual Scope, at this time. Thanks again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 21:57
Originally posted by 1winnen 1winnen wrote:

I would like to thank all of you for your comments and suggestions. However, I can't see throwing away about $100, Leapers Trirail Mount and Truglo Red Dot Dual Scope, at this time. Thanks again.
You might need to think about this statement.  If you are coming here to ask advice after already making a faulty choice then expecting us to say well done then you asked too late.  If you expect to hear us tell you by all means buy a scope that is TACTIcool with lots of features that will ultimately be a disappointment then you are probably asking the wrong guys and need to find someone who has no conscience and will lie to you. The suggestions made so far are solid suggestions.  I suggest you stay with a simple scope like a fixed 4x or 6x or a traditional 3-9 which are the most common scopes.  I have one of the Sightron S1 3-9 Mil Dot scopes and it has worked well for what it cost. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Grant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 23:05
  Okay, I am a "HUGE" AK-phile, I've got 3 AK47's, 1 AK74 and two RPK's, all with an optic mount of some sort. (Or at least the possibility if I want to scope them).

#!.  That leapers "Tril-rail mount" I am assuming is a dustcover mount?  If so, no offence: but I can ALMOST garuntee that your gun's groups will halve if you switch mounts.  The dustcover mounts I've seen (Except for the Texas Weapons Systems mount) will not hold zero and turn good shooters into shotguns.

If your gun has a siderail, get the UTG 3rd gen siderail mount with the ALLEN BOLT mounting.  For being cheap and $25, the thing is solid, I've used 3, beat the dickens out of them and they don't come loose.

#2.  Your scope might work out.  Truglo's are not the bottom-barrel.  That said, if you want good+cheap: Save a bit and the Weaver Classic 1-3X scope is a good, short-eyerelief, compact scope.  

The Sightron 3-9 Mil-dot is okay....I've got one and been un-impressed with it.  First shot the magnification ring froze and the scope went fuzzy, glass inside came loose.  BUT..sightron was super-fast in shipping a replacement and that one has been okay, but I've only mounted it on a .223, not a .308 like the first one.

1winnen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1winnen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 08:16
I just wanted to say that I have taken ALL of your comments and suggestions seriously and I do plan on changing the Leapers Tri-rail as soon as I'm able to afford it. Being on a fixed income limits my spending. I would, if possible, like to see if there's anyway I can just remove the rails from the dust cover although I think they are riveted on and it's already been DURACOATED, or find the orginal one. To be honest, when I modified my AK AND my nephews I was thinking more about how cool it looked before actually getting any advise. So once again I thank ALL of you for your advise.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic