OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

USMC Unertl sniper scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USMC Unertl sniper scope
    Posted: March/07/2006 at 10:18

Keep your eyes open while lurking in pawn shops and garage sales.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2006 at 12:04

Wow.

Isn't that just a tad overpriced?  I am not what these scopes typically go for, but eight grand???

ILya

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2006 at 12:48

New production versions of the same scope sell for $2500. but are marked

Serial number range starting at T0001.

Supposedly only a handful of the ones marked USMC Sniper were sold to civilians and this has never been verified.  Most people agree that any scopes marked USMC Sniper were stolen from the military.  I wouldn't doubt it if the winner of the above auction gets a visit from someone in a Marine Corp uniform pretty soon.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2006 at 12:55

The seller is from Cali.

The scope probably "walked off" Camp Pendelton... 

As an aside, is US Optics still doing the warranty work for Unertl scopes??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2006 at 14:03

Unertl 10X Tactical

I don't think Unertl and U.S. Optics get along very well.  The below time line was copied and pasted from Unertloptics.com

Unertl Optical Company, Inc., through it parent corporation at the time, filed a multi-million dollar lawsuit against John Williams, U. S. Optics, Zeitz Optics, et al to prevent them from advertising Unertl products for sale.

Unertl Optical Company, Inc. obtained a Permanent Injunction against U. S. Optics, John Williams and his various aliases, prohibiting them from, among other things, advertising using Unertl products and claiming that John Williams is a doctor.

Unertl Optical Company, Inc., through its parent corporation at the time, obtained a money Judgment against U. S. Optics, John Williams, et al.

CONGRATULATIONS to ArmaLite, Inc. and Mark Westrom on obtaining a judgment against John Williams, U.S. Optics, Inc., et al for $369,457.60

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2006 at 14:25

Has anyone tried these new Unertl scopes? How do they compare to US Optics ofr example? or S&B?

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2006 at 04:16

Ooops! I thought that USO was doing the warranty work for them somehow awhile back.

I didn't know about the law suit, Chris.

No koshkin, I have never seen one.

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2006 at 22:33

Somebody needs to put down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard. Or better yet, I've got one I'll sell them for $10,500 that is or was on a real snipers rifle.

Koshkin, I have done a couple of scopes for Wendel at US Optics (I have one in right now for a MARPAT finish). IMO they are superior to the Unertl. Granted my Unertl is about 17 or 18 tears old but the US Optics I have seen and used are the Mercedes Benz of the Optics industry.

Jason B View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2011 at 23:52
These scopes are not sold @ this price for performance, they are historical icons that represent the mysterious history of the Marine Corps Scout sniper. they were only produced for the Marine Corps and used until recently when they were replaced by the Schmidt & Bender SSDS. To find one in pristine condition not crusted over with decades of brown and green paint and blasted by desert sand (& that actually works) is truly a find. Would I pay that much for one? Heck no! But to a collector who may be some way connected to the Very Small Marine Corps Scout Sniper Community this is a legendary piece of history he can hold in his hand. & if he has the money... Why not?

IRON MIKE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRON MIKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 20:39
    I tried for two years to buy one of these scopes from unertl or what was left of the company with no luck. so I found a US optics and it works and performs great. I am a former U.S.Marine but was not a sniper However I had two sniper teams that worked for me in the first Gulf War both having the M40A1 rifles with the unertl scopes.
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 00:25
The original Unertl sniper scopes were also issued to a very small number of US law enforcement/security agencies.  A few to FBI HRT, Uniformed Secret Service (White House Sniper/Counter Sniper Detail), DOE Security Teams and Dept. of State Security. Each one was accounted for and destroyed...we are talking about maybe 100 or less total. Operational Detachment Delta, the Activity and Team Six may have gotten a few, again less than 100 total for all the units. Some were marked USMC and all were accounted for and sent back to be scrapped. Some units of a new production batch were sold as "overruns" but no one can say to who or really how many were sold.
You have to know serial numbers and production batches to know when, who and what the scope was made for.
I am not an expert and only know that replacement scopes beyond the original 500+ were produced. The numbers were small, replacements for attrition. Apparently some of the original scopes went to the law enforcement/security agencies. I have seen one rifle with a scope..never saw more and only knew two individuals who were issued rifles with the scopes.
When other optics began to replace them in the inventory, some of the USMC scopes were disposed of/possibly surplussed. No one knows if they were to be scrapped and got sold under the table.
If anyone has more info it would be great if they could share it
Thanks
Art

Good day.
devanclark844 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devanclark844 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2014 at 10:29
I have one of these in military cardboard box with parralax tool in what i believe to be new condition. Looking to sell it but live in maine. It was given to me by a man who was a marine armorer from around 1975-1988 so i believe it is authentic. Any suggestions? or offers? ha
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2014 at 20:31
Wow the original post is over 9 years old.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2014 at 15:54
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Wow the original post is over 9 years old.

Yep. Dilligaf hadn't unfurled his dark side yet.  
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2014 at 16:52
Were it available today, it would be going for twice that.

Most of these are stolen or fakes, anyone buying should be aware that the USMC does not look kindly on such shenanigans.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2014 at 18:20
I love this site with all the tremendous knowledge & guys who are willing to share their wisdom even after 9 years.Excellent 
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic