OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Member's Trading Post > Firearms For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pre-64 Model 70 Winchester
    Posted: August/10/2012 at 14:25
Ok.  I am going to put me very own pet rifle up for sale.  I am only loading one picture because it is big and I can e-mail some more of them to you if you are interested.

This is my 1948 Winchester Model 70 Transition Model with the pre-war receiver ( with the cloverleaf tang ) and pre-war stock with the post-war bolt with the safety on the upper right side of the bolt.  It's the small little safety that looks like a rabbit's foot....before they went to the L shape.  

Caliber 30 Govt 06         serial number 82XXX    

Post War production started in 1947 at serial 64000 and they had lots of pre-war parts that needed to be used up.  For all I know the barrel could be pre-war.  The safety and the scope mounting holes are different on the post war models. 

This rifle is in 95% condition or I will eat it.  

Straight low comb stock, steel buttplate,  24" barrel, Lyman 22G rear sight, hooded ramp sight forged as part of barrel.  Stock is magnificent---only a few hunting scratches near the bolt handle and on the other side of the stock near the magazine.  Looks like fingernail scratches.  Original permanent sling swivels ( they do not detach ).  

Generous 18 LPI checkering pattern.  The checkering panels are only about one inch apart under the forearm!  Checkering is generous but it is a little old.  It still grips, but a re-checkering would be maybe a good idea.  I had a pair of soft leather gloves that were very sticky on that checkering, so I left the gun original.  Well, the gun is 64 years old!

This rifle has Burris two piece bases as shown, but that Weaver K6 is not on there now.  

This gun has got some figure ( quarter sawn figure ) on the left buttstock. Otherwise it just looks like beautiful walnut. 

The rifle has a million coats of beeswax and Renaissance Wax on it. 

As you can see in the photo the semi-buckhorn sight has a long shank and stretches backwards toward the shooter, putting the buckhorn sight about an inch in front of the receiver ring.  Sometimes this is a pain to mount a scope low because you need to clear the sight with the scope or remove the back sight from the barrel.  I never wanted to mess with this rifle so I just mounted stuff High or got a long scope so that the objective would go beyond the iron sight. 

Lots of people remove the sight and put a blank in the slot, but I didn't want to. 

I want $1000 for the rifle and I'll need $40 for shipping and the FFL 'handling fee' nonsense which used to be free!  

PM me with your e-mail address and I can e-mail you a few more photos. 
Eduardo  Bucky

Visit the Ed Show
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2012 at 14:32
ShockedCant believe you got to sell this!
Bowto its beauty

Wish I had the funds my friend.  Would love to add this to its cousins sitting in the safe!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2012 at 17:12
Concur. Beautiful rifle, Edward. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2012 at 17:34

Your gonna make someone very happy ,Ed.   Excellent
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 08:51

FREE Hawaiian Vacation with every purchase!! 

Yvette Mimieux   

Visit the Ed Show
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 09:42
dammit ed! why???
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 13:25

Reduce price to $900 

Visit the Ed Show
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 13:30
for the love of god ed dont do it!!!Loco
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 15:12
ok
Visit the Ed Show
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 17:05
i wish i could help you out, its a masterpiece!!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 22:35
Ed,
I've thought about it all day long and just can't make myself do it, even though I'm a firm believer that a man can't have too may .30-06s. I wouldn't even let myself look at a beauty of a model 70 in .375 H&H today, knowing that I really need one of those and told my son "nah, never mind" after I'd already asked him to check the price tag, since his eyes are a lot younger than mine.

Now tomorrow is another day and if it's still for sale, please tell me NO if I call... even if I beg.
All I'd do with your rifle would be to take it out of the safe every now and then and hold it just so, to  feel a tingle run up my leg- it'd probably never see the field. I save my junky Sakos for that.

I'm already about to put an '03-A3 up for sale so I can get a .458 Lott, just like my hero.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 12:38
I actually took this rifle out in the wilderness and hunted with it.  I think it is impervious to scratches.  They don't make 'em like this anymore.  

Anyway, someone is looking at it.  If I sell it I can always buy another one!  Big Grin  As a matter of fact, I know where there is another Transition model 30-06........for $1700!!    Shocked   

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2012 at 12:51

Will reduce down to $800......final reduction      a few more days....

An Internet facsimile of someone else's Model 70---looks like mine...Bucky

Visit the Ed Show
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 09:09
If you will bring it to us, we will put it on Gunbroker and give you all the money (less fees) that it brings.  Brady takes very good pictures and you will be reaching a much larger audiance.

While you are here I'll show you a big pile of rare and unique pre-64's.  Cool
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 10:20
What an offer!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 07:56
Just got these in Ed.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 07:58
This one is pretty cool.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 08:16
holy smokes what is that?
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 09:14
A Bull Gun, I guess.
Visit the Ed Show
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 09:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic