OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka 270 purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gsmktm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka 270 purchase
    Posted: August/20/2012 at 09:03
I've been researching the Tekka lite 270 for my son to hunt with in montana. We are looking for a rifle that is versatile and can be used for deer and elk . Please help with any comments concerning caliber recoil etc. Everything I've read about this gun is excellent thanks.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 09:13
How old is your son?  Size?  experience with centerfire rounds?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 09:58
.270 is a good, mild recoiling cartridge suitable for elk, with the right bullets.

Personally, I prefer the various 7mm's over anything .277 due to much better bullet selection, with generally higher BC, and wider range of bullet weights and types available.  Since the Tikka isn't available in .280, I'd probably opt for 7mm-08.  The 7-08 will handle any task the .270 will.  It isn't as fast out of the starting gate, but with the higher BC bullets available in 140s, it retains velocity at distance better than your typical 130 gr .277.

I'm not a Tikka T3 fan, mainly because of the stock and magazine, but admittedly the ones I've shot have been accurate, bolt operation is smooth, and they have the same trigger assy as the Sako 75 / 85, which is very good. 

My preferences aside, .270 is still a good, capable cartridge with manageable recoil that will get the job done, and the Tikka T3 is a reliable rifle that will serve you well for many years to come.  What you prefer is all that matters, provided you choose an appropriate chambering and bullets for the animals you're hunting and POI = POA.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 10:16

I have the same rifle in the same cartridge, a few thoughts:

1.  Recoil is not mild.  It is not terrible, but not mild.  The rifle is fairly light-weight and I push the biggest bullets I can.

2.  The stock is cheap, the bottom "metal" is plastic, and the mags are plastic, but I have not broken any of the above.

3.  The cartridge is suitable for deer or elk, but it is on the lower end of what I would prefer for elk.  To each, his own.

4.  Accuracy in Tikkas is usually stellar.  On some, it is just great.

5.  There are now makers of after-market stocks for the Tikka T3 Lite, if you decide an upgrade is needed later.

6.  Tikka bolts are smooth as butter right out of the box and only improve with use.

7.  Tikka actions are well made and very, very strong. 

8.  Tikkas have now gained enough following to have a growing aftermarket offering. The plastic bolt shroud can be changed for a metal shroud, the bolt handle can be swapped, the bottom metal can be swapped, the stock can be swapped, etc.

9.  For the money, there is no better stalker rifle available.  I have several Tikkas and they have always done right by me.

If your son is a youngster, I would look at a different caliber.  If he can handle some recoil, the Tikka 270 is very hard to beat.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 10:43
+1 for the 7-08.  It is a very capable, mild-recoiling round (with 140 gr. bullets).  Tikkas are alright, but I have the same reservations as Ted above.
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 12:03
I've got no issues with the T3 action and barrel.  Both are good to go, even though I wish different action lengths proportional to the cartridges chambered were offered.  But, then it would increase cost and remove much of the T3's "value price" appeal.  It's the excessive use of plastic and the stock design I don't like.  To me, the stock ergos are terrible, and it just has a cheap look and feel to it, commensurate with "cost cutting" measures.  I realize the stock can be changed, but if you buy the rifle with the intent on swapping out the stock (much less the shroud and bottom "metal"), by the time you spend the $ for rifle plus replacement parts, you've spend enough to buy a higher end rifle with better ergos and less plastic.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Gsmktm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gsmktm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 12:28
Son is 25 but smaller 5-7 140. He does have experience with center fire guns but we are not experts like some of you guys on this forum. And thanks for your reply. Steve
Gsmktm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gsmktm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 12:31
Thank you much foe your time to share the information. It has been very helpful, great site. Steve
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 13:46
I agree with the guys on the 7mm-08.  It's a winner.  I bought my smallish son a T3 in that caliber several years ago.  I've heard many people say what Rifle says about the plastic and all, and I won't say they're wrong because that's their opinion.  I have 3 Tikkas.  2 T3's inc the one above.  I have never had a days worth or trouble, and they are very, very tough and boringly accurate.  I do like my tikka 695 a little better than the T3, however.  
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 14:44
I'm actually selling my .270 Win (you can see it here:  http://www.opticstalk.com/browning-abolt-270-win-nikon-monarch-ucc-39_topic33569.html).  The reason I'm selling is that I bought a new Model 70 in 7mm-08 and have an encore handgun in 7mm-08 that I prefer.  The thing your son may like is the 60 degree bolt throw on the browning.  I personally wouldn't take my 7mm-08 for elk, but that's just because I have a 300 Win Mag for that task and a 7mm Rem Mag as backup.  One thing your son may like about the rifle I'm selling is the VAIS brake my dad had put on it a few years ago.  Now the .270 feels like a .243 or less with full house loads.  It is a bit louder, though.  As for the Tikka, I have a buddy with one in .270 and he loves it.  Good luck.

Deck 
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 15:13
A buddy of mine has a T3 that he's taken with him on several elk hunts with me.  He hasn't had a moment's worth of trouble with it in any form.  I have no doubt in normal use, one would probably never have any long-term issues with the plastic parts.  I'm old school enough that I don't like plastic parts on a fine rifle, even though I recognize certain polymers in certain applications can actually have superior qualities to other materials.  Nowadays, there are some really good polymers available that buck the "cheap" stigma "plastic" has carried over the years, and today, the word "plastic" can now mean any number of different materials.  Still, anytime I see plastic parts on a rifle, the first thought that comes to my mind is the manufacturer is cutting corners to reduce costs, which is usually the case.  I don't feel that way about fiberglass and kevlar stocks, though I don't like the all-plastic, excessively flexible injection molded ones commonly seen on the "budget" rifles.  My practical side recognizes synthetic stocks are far superior to wood on a hardcore hunting rifle that's likely to see wet conditions and rough handling, though admittedly it took me awhile to warm up to that concept.  I don't consider a well-made synthetic stock of the laid-up fiber and resin variety (i.e. not injection molded) as "plastic."

Mainly, I just don't like the shape, feel, and looks of the T3 stock, but that's a subjective thing.  The action is mechanically sound, and they have good triggers and barrels.
Ted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic