OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Archery
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which one
    Posted: August/22/2012 at 20:19
I didn't get very many of the rifle tags I applied for this year. Never bow hunted before can get over the counter deer tags for deer. Will try some bow hunting.

Which bow do you like??
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 21:52
Got it narrowed down to
Bowtech
Diamond
pse

??
@WitsEnd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @WitsEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2012 at 09:25

Hoyt and Mathews makes good bows as well.

I have a hoyt and am very happy with it.  Get one that fits and feels good to YOU!  

smesk403 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smesk403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 10:36
Originally posted by @WitsEnd @WitsEnd wrote:

I have a hoyt and am very happy with it.  Get one that fits and feels good to YOU!  

+1
scarface_usmc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 12:05
I have only ever bought PSE. I shoot the PSE bow madness XS. And its by far my favorite bow! I always shoot the new favs everytime Im looking to buy and I always end up with a PSE. Not knocking the other manufacturers PSE just fits me. The bm XS with its 29" axle to axle is perfect in the little treestands I use. And it slides perfect through the thickest Oklahoma briar when I'm stalkin hogs. And with a 26" 5575 arrow and swhacker broadheads I blew through a 250 lb hogs shoulder blade and passed through him at 25yds. And for the price you can't beat it. Only putting 750 into my bow I can out shoot my buddy with his 2000 + dollar Mathews reezen.
"keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
scarface_usmc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 12:06
Excuse any grammatical error I posted from my phone.
"keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 13:06
Originally posted by scarface_usmc scarface_usmc wrote:

Only putting 750 into my bow I can out shoot my buddy with his 2000 + dollar Mathews reezen.

Dang... your buddy sure got ripped off!

The Mathews Reezen is a discontinued model, but when it was introduced, its full MSRP was around $850.

Ask your buddy if he wants to buy any more bows, as I have a couple for sale!

Edited by RifleDude - October/24/2012 at 13:26
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 13:24
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

Got it narrowed down to
Bowtech
Diamond
pse

??

Diamond is owned by Bowtech.  When the brand was originally introduced, they had some cool machined carbon fiber risers, but since then, I've never been especially impressed with their bows.

Bowtech and PSE are both great brands.  Add Mathews and Hoyt to your list.  There are a few other good brands, but those are the most common, and you can't miss with any of those 4 as long as you pick a bow that you shoot well.

Go to a well-equipped bow shop and shoot all the flagship bows from those 4 companies.  Pick based on what feels best to you and which one you shot the best.  All are great bows; there is no "best;" only what works best for you.  Don't get too seduced by speed.  Speed is a good thing to have, but it comes at a price.  Never sacrifice accuracy and low noise for speed.  With speed usually comes a shorter brace height (distance between grip and string at rest, with shorter brace height having a longer power stroke), more aggressive cam (steeper draw force curve), and often more noise and vibration.  It's best for beginning archers to pick a bow with a brace height between 7" - 9".  Faster bows are usually less forgiving of shooting form errors.  A slow hit always trumps a fast miss.  Be sure and have your draw length properly measured by a pro shop or at least an experienced archer / bow technician.  Picking a bow with the wrong draw length (usually too long) is one of the most common mistakes beginning archers make.  Get some good instruction on proper bow tuning and shooting form up front before you develop bad habits that are difficult to break later.

Don't buy cheap arrows.

Get the above taken care of first, then come back for advice on how to proceed from there later.  Archery, like many other disciplines, is a journey where your education never ends and there's always room for improvement.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 14:04
I shoot a hoyt.  My next bow will likely be a Bowtech Insanity CPXL.  I also have shot an older Mathews, which I liked a lot at the time.  PSE, Bowtech, Mathews, and Hoyt all make great bows.  As others have said, the fit is most important.  If it isn't the most comfortable to shoot, you'll never be as good as you could be with a bow.  Good luck.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 16:43
I was a hardocre Matthew's guy, but this year I shot Hoyt's Carbon Element.
What a bow. I was speechless.  Depending on what Mathew's debutes on the 5th of November, my next bow will be the Carbon Element.

I agree with Ted, do not buy cheap arrows.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 20:11
I shoot Matthews and it is very consistent. I have owned Hoyt and the boys have several of those. I started with a PSE and wish I had skipped that step.  The Bear bows are not bad in the lower price range but I would far rather buy a used Hoyt like a Protec that has adjustable length of draw and work with that than a lesser bow.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Wood View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2012 at 00:10
Good advice from rifle dude. There are more bow companies than you can shake a stick at, but Hoyt PSE, Mathews, and Bowtech should be around for a while if you have any warranty issues.
Personally, I've owned Bowtech, Elite, Strother and K&K. They've all been good bows. I'm kind of a semi speed freak, more so for the energy with a heavier hunting arrow than for pure speed. All the new models are coming out this time of year and I always want a new one if I have any money. LOL
Hope you find one that fits you like a glove, but be careful, it's addicting.
God is good
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2012 at 07:39
Welcome to OT, Wood!
Ted

Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 23:36
Another thing I haven't seen mentioned yet, if you decide to go with carbon arrows, make sure you buy carbon arrows made for hunting to hunt with, use good broad heads, and buy a target block designed for braod heads and practice with them. Heavier arrows equal better penetration.
I shoot a Hoyt also.
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2013 at 19:52
I shoot a PSE and can't comment on how any other brand shoots as the PSE is the first bow I bought, that was 4 years ago and have unfortunately only been able to go hunting one year with it so far. I love shooting a bow and nothing is more challenging to me than getting in range with one. I use Carbon Xpress arrows and Muzzy broadheads and am extrememly happy with my setup when I have the chance to use it.
Give me a shot, I won't disappoint!
RedBeard View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedBeard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2013 at 01:49
I have a hoyt and absolutely love it. There are faster, quieter, or more forgiving bows out there, but for a combination of the 3, I haven't shot anything better. Honestly, if you stick to the middle of the line bows from either matthews, bowtech or hoyt, you will be getting great value for the money. Just don't skimp on sights, arrows, rests or a release.
I love a Government that supports and finances civilian uprises in Syria, Lybia and Egypt and then tells its own citizens there is no reason to own "assault rifles"
KrazeLegs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrazeLegs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 17:13
Originally posted by @WitsEnd @WitsEnd wrote:

I have a Bear Legion, and it is OK.  If I had the money I would go for a new Hoyt Carbon Element.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic