OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need scope that survives 338 Lapua

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEADTIME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need scope that survives 338 Lapua
    Posted: August/28/2012 at 07:37
Just bought a savage 110 FCP 338, what a manly gun! But I digress. I need a scope that will live through hundreds of rounds happily and hold zero.

My beautiful wife has allowed me to purchase 5 firearms this year so I'm trying to not spend to much on a scope, maybe less than 1000 bucks. I do have a few scopes to trade in to SWFA so that might bring down what I pay out of pocket.

I've done some research and found 3 favorites but please if you have first hand knowledge gimme a reply. The scopes I've looked at are the Millet LRS, the sightron SIII, and finally a Zeiss. All must have at a minimum a 50mm lens up front and a 30mm tube but it can be bigger. I'd also like illuminated.

Gimme your ideas guys but please don't suggest an 8 trillion dollar Swarovski, night force, US Optics etc. I can't print money like our dear leader.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 07:59
Only my opinion here, not backed by extensive optics experience.  I'd look at the SS 5-20x50 or the Vortex Razor 5-20.  Both are available with lit reticles, both rated for .50 Cal and both have lifetime no B.S. warranties to boot.

If you have to have one soon, I'd lean towards Vortex as the SS-5-20 is Vaporware at the moment with no word on when more stock might be in.

I have a non. illum. version of the SS 5-20 on my .308.  Love everything about it, except the weight, but I knew it was heavy going in, so that's my fault not the scope's.  I'd certainly put another SS 5-20 on a bigger gun without a second thought.  The clarity of the glass is nothing short of amazing, and considering it's price point one could argue that it has no competition for the cost - IMHO.

Both scopes will be above your $1000 budget, but if you have some items to trade in, you'd likely get below for the SS.  Keep an eye out on the Sample list or S.H. for sale section if you are looking for something slightly used.  With both brands slightly used is no big deal as the great warranties still apply.  May as well save a few $'s if you care to go that way.

Don't forget a good set of rings too.  I personally like Aadmount triple lugs - they are really overbuilt and give you an extra margin of "feel good" confidence.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 08:21
First things first.  Take the millet thought and forget it.  Bucky 

The Sightron SIII is a good scope as well as the SS 5-20 mentioned above.  Both will have plenty of elevation travel to stretch the 338 out like it should. 

Another thought is to keep your eye here  on the samplelist
SampleList.com
There are some amazing deals that show up on there and you can still trade in towards those items with SWFA, they run that site.  You just have to call and they can do the transaction. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 08:37
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

The Sightron SIII is a good scope as well as the SS 5-20 mentioned above.  Both will have plenty of elevation travel to stretch the 338 out like it should. 

SampleList.com
There are some amazing deals that show up on there and you can still trade in towards those items with SWFA, they run that site.  You just have to call and they can do the transaction. 
Agreed that Millet wouldn't last 50 rounds. Replace it on your short list with the SS 5-20. Which Zeiss are you looking at?
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 11:29
Sell a firearm if you have to but don't skimp on a scope for a .338. A heavier scope will just help with the recoil so I wouldn't worry about that.
Reaction time is a factor...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 12:11
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

SampleList.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the S3 was a bit elevation-limited, something like 50-60 MOA.  For a 338LM, I'd want more.

I tested one awhile back, maybe Sightron has remedied that with a newer version.  If so, be sure you get the new version, you'll want more than 50MOA total elevation travel.

I've owned 2 of the SS5-20, it is among the best 20X optics I have used.  If you can get one, it is worth overshooting youtr budget by a bit to do so.

Lastly, get good rings, don't script there!  I'd recommend the aadmount 6-screw variant or badger max50s.  Your gun will make some recoil, and if it has a brake, it'll be even tougher on the optic.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 12:14
The sightron website says 100 moa for the s3 6-24x
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 12:28
Originally posted by DEADTIME DEADTIME wrote:

Just bought a savage 110 FCP 338, what a manly gun! But I digress. I need a scope that will live through hundreds of rounds happily and hold zero.

My beautiful wife has allowed me to purchase 5 firearms this year so I'm trying to not spend to much on a scope, maybe less than 1000 bucks. I do have a few scopes to trade in to SWFA so that might bring down what I pay out of pocket.

I've done some research and found 3 favorites but please if you have first hand knowledge gimme a reply. The scopes I've looked at are the Millet LRS, the sightron SIII, and finally a Zeiss. All must have at a minimum a 50mm lens up front and a 30mm tube but it can be bigger. I'd also like illuminated.

Gimme your ideas guys but please don't suggest an 8 trillion dollar Swarovski, night force, US Optics etc. I can't print money like our dear leader.

What are you going to do with this rifle and what ranges are we talking about? Why a 50mm objective?

If you are target shooting with your budget and you could deal with a 42mm objective, I would look at a SS 10x HD for about $800. Many people shoot at 1000yds and farther with a 10x. That will also give you some more funds for ammo which is expensive for a 338LM.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P50717.aspx
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 17:28
Sub-$1k: Sightron S3 6-24x50 or Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50
Over $1k: SWFA SS 5-20x50, Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50

Purely for target shooting: for $300 you can get SWFA SS 10x42, 12x42 or 16x42 with Mil-Quad reticle and 0.1mrad turrets

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 18:41

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 18:47
Yeah Dan, that was my thoughts too!   If you can afford to feed the beast you should be able to put good glass on the gal.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 20:08
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Good one!
DEADTIME View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEADTIME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 03:19
Well I might be going with an SS scope, the 5-20x50 illuminated is on the top of my list along with the sightron SIII. Anyone know if the the SS HD is 338 survivable? Many of them say 50 bmg ok but the particular model I like doesn't mention if it's large caliber friendly.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51642.aspx

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 05:45

Well I might be going with an SS scope, the 5-20x50 illuminated is on the top of my list along with the sightron SIII. Anyone know if the the SS HD is 338 survivable? Many of them say 50 bmg ok but the particular model I like doesn't mention if it's large caliber friendly.

It will withstand the .338LM... and then some...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 06:43

That scope will make the 338LP recoil its biootch. I have beat, banged, threw ,tossed, kicked my SS just to try'n and brake it. it held zero when put back on the rifle. Oh it's held 25 50bmg and some 338rum ,and 300rum and some 243 rounds while trying to brake it. honestly if you get this scope you will be all giggles and not have one moment of buyers remorse.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 07:03
I almost added you ran over one with a truck, but then I remembered that was a 10X SS.   Big Smile
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 07:55
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I almost added you ran over one with a truck, but then I remembered that was a 10X SS.   Big Smile

yeah, I have not tested this scope with the "monster truck test" yet... Hunting season is about to kick off. Might be tested soon.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 10:12

Laugh Above
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 10:25

ROFLMAO!!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2012 at 11:32
If I was trying to scope it and keep the cost down I would look at a 16x42MQ  Super Sniper and use that while I saved up for what I really want. The most important factor is having a lot of internal adjustment. Good glass would be the next consideration and the HD version of the 10x42 Super Sniper has very good glass and would be a solid choice but no illumination, sometimes samplelist.com has a used one at a good value. Once you get in that thousand dollar plus range the 5-20 Super Sniper is the best choice until you get into the cost of U.S. Optics and Heinsoldts.  If you can afford the 5-20 SS you wont ever need to upgrade.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic