OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bipods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bipods?
    Posted: August/28/2012 at 12:52
Hey there.

I'm looking to get a bipod for my rifle, but I need some intel. First, how useful is a bipod? Is it a good investment? Does it help out? (I do understand that everyone has a different opinion and this varies depending on the circumstances.) 

Also, I've been checking out the market and I came to an issue - how much money to spend on a bipod. So, I would like to know, if cheap bipods are any good?

I don't have many to choose from, but they range from around 30 to several hundred dollars.

The bipod would be used for casual shooting and hunting. I would attach it to the belt swivel.

Thanks
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 14:35
Cheapest i'd recommend is a Harris.  Harris Bipods
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 14:46
http://swfa.com/Harris-Ultralight-LM-S-Series-Bipod-P3011.aspx

Then get an arm that extends the swivel knob and you will be set. I have a few of these and LOVE them....

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 15:45
Thanks for the links, guys.

My question has been answered - stay away from cheap crappy bipods.

Another thing to clear up: Non swivel bipods (see example below) force you to rotate the whole rifle, if you're on uneven ground or compensate by extending one leg of the bipod more than the other?

-A. Einstein
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 16:05
Get the swivel Harris. I use them a LOT and love 'em, but get the swivel and as BD suggested, get the Pod Lock, or whatever it's called to make life easier.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 16:53
Notched legs help as well.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 18:16
Give Versa Pod a look... has pan and tilt (which can be locked), which is quite handy for full range movement without lifting the rifle.  Harris has "swivel, which is OK, but not as useful as a full pan and tilt.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 18:32
Another vote for Harris bipod -s (swivel).  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 19:46
Less expensive... more functional...
Less expensive... more functional...

more functional...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 20:01
Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 20:08
There is an exception to the expensive bipod rule.

I have used a number of great tactical style bipods that I really liked for most shooting, but not as much for hunting.  GG&G, Atlas, and Harris have all been good for me.

I use a Rapid Pivot Stoney Point bipod on my hunting rigs.  They are lightweight, inexpensive, and surprisingly effective.  Nothing is easier to attach or detach.
-Matt
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 20:25
Well, the thing is I don't need high end stuff. TBH my backpack does the trick nicely, however a bipod is a more slick solution to say the least Big Smile.

Harris stuff looks tempting, but it is quite expensive... I'll call a local police/military gear dealer tomorrow and ask if they have anything.

I was snooping around a bit and found a Blackhawk bipod for $50 (6-9in.). The weird thing is that I can't find this bipod on Blackhawk's website. Maybe they discontinued it...

Lastly, the budget. I have $75 to spend, however, I am a very patient person (been waiting for my new riflescope for almost 2 months now), so I can wait till my budget expands...

-A. Einstein
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 20:50
I've used all of those and the Sinclair (both tactical and F-class).  I like them all, too.  However, for me, the versa-pod is the most functional of all.  Truthfully, though, I'm more partial to a tripod... it's only limitation is it does not attach (and how would it)... another thing to carry somewhere and keep up with.  There is nothing else I don't like about it.  Absolutely most stable, functional rest I have used for multipositional shooting.  For prone shooting, the Sinclair F-class is by far the best...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 20:51
Trickster,

Did you look at the Rapid Pivot?  It is well within your budget.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 20:51
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I've used all of those and the Sinclair (both tactical and F-class).  I like them all, too.  However, for me, the versa-pod is the most functional of all.  Truthfully, though, I'm more partial to a tripod... it's only limitation is it does not attach (and how would it)... another thing to carry somewhere and keep up with.  There is nothing else I don't like about it.  Absolutely most stable, functional rest I have used for multipositional shooting.  For prone shooting, the Sinclair F-class is by far the best...

You can also get the Rapid Pivot in a tripod version that attaches and detaches the same way...
-Matt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 21:15
Interesting.  I've never looked at their tripods before.  Several interesting concepts.  

Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 05:29
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Trickster,

I did. Definitely an interesting thing. You simply attach this thing to your swivel? No folding? Also, which hight are you using? 

I'll see what I can find and keep you all posted. Smile

-A. Einstein
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 06:38
If you just want a cheap bipod to try out, Walmart carries one for $40 that isn't the least functional thing I've ever bought.  It isn't fancy and you'll have to adjust the legs individually for any slope of the ground, but the nice thing is that you can adjust the legs to anywhere you want them instead of only in designated slots.  It attaches to the front sling swivel.  Like I said, it's not great but it is cheap and functional if you just want to get a feel for using a bipod.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 09:00
Originally posted by Trickster Trickster wrote:

Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Trickster,

I did. Definitely an interesting thing. You simply attach this thing to your swivel? No folding? Also, which hight are you using? 

I'll see what I can find and keep you all posted. Smile

Trickster,

I use the prone bipod model. You attach the base to your swivel stud, and then any of the rapid pivot products just pop on and off the base. You can get extra bases for additional rifles. There are no levers or buttons, push on and pop off. I just carry mine in a side opcket of my pack and pop it on when needed.
-Matt
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 17:10
Thanks for the info Matt.

I have another question: what height would you recommend? I was messing around with a ruler earlier and from prone I was very comfortable with 6 inches and after my spine deformed a bit, I was able to get comfortable with 9 inches as well. I also managed to get somewhat comfortable sitting on my butt on the floor with 13 inches, however, an extra inch would be great.

So 9 inches is a bit too much for prone and 13 inches not enough for me to sit on my butt and replace my knees with the bipod. 6-9 inches then?

-A. Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic