OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bipods?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 17:34
It extends from 10-13," but the rifle sits lower, due to the space between the legs. Additionally, the rubber "yoke" at the pivot allows you to bend and twist the legs as you need to for cant, or to get lower.

I can't see using the prone model to shoot while sitting, unless you have the bipod on something elevated.

It works pretty well.
-Matt
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 17:46
I think the same company makes the "steady stix II" which work pretty good too. They're light weight,  collapsible and super quick to set up. My daughter used 'em this year hunting and it seemed to be the ticket.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 17:52
I have a "monopod" rest that attaches to my rigger's belt... very stable shooting from a standing position and when not in use it just hangs down off the belt, kind of like a knife.  It has been my "most used" stabilization system in recent years.  Great for stalking...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 18:37
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

It extends from 10-13," but the rifle sits lower, due to the space between the legs. Additionally, the rubber "yoke" at the pivot allows you to bend and twist the legs as you need to for cant, or to get lower.

I can't see using the prone model to shoot while sitting, unless you have the bipod on something elevated.

It works pretty well.

As I said, 13 inches is too short for me to be comfortable while sitting - it would need to be higher. On the other hand, 10 inches is a bit too much for prone.

That's why I'm thinking of getting the 6-9 inch model. I'm struggling with 10-13 inches - I can't get comfortable while prone or while sitting, and that's why I think the 6-9 version would be better for me - I could at least use it while prone.

I'll do some more "measurements" and see what's what.

Quote It works pretty well.

What are you referring to?
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 19:00
Trickster,

I am sorry I wasn't clear.  the 10-13 model, in actual use, will put you anywhere from around 2" off the ground to around 10" off the ground.  I may post a pic to make it clearer.
-Matt
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 19:30
Here is the base and bipod:

Bipod connected and standing:

Lower:

Way down low:

Fully extended:

-Matt
mcseal2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcseal2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 20:37
I also use the rapid pivot bipods and love them.  I use the sitting/kneeling model alot in my country to get above vegetation.  I find that I can get pretty darn steady kneeling with the bipod a little left of my center by putting my elbow right behind my right knee.  I can ring my 300yd 10" gong reliably that way, it is one of my most used and practiced positions.  I also use the prone model when I can get that low and then use my pack as a rear bag.  For real long steep hunts I picked up a folding shock-cord tripod version also that is lighter and works to sitting height. 

One thing I did with mine is to add an extra stud to my rifles just for the bipod mount.  The reviews told of them breaking and letting the rifle fall when it was slung.  I figured I'd avoid this danger and just add an extra stud so the sling didn't have to attach to the bipod mount.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 20:39
I use old blue jean pants legs sewed up filled with corn more often than anything else but I do have both styles of Harris bipod.  One can spend a lot of money on a really good bipod, I know I have one made by Accuracy International and boy were they proud of it. I see a lot of shooting sticks for sale in stores but I also see alot of home made shooting sticks in actual use by guys on a hunt not so much on the range. I tend to not like the added weigh on the front of the rifle If I am hunting because Im either moving or in a  stand where I cant use the bipod.  LE use you pretty much have to have one it might be a long wait. I know I would like to own a GG&G bipod but they are not easy to come by and a bit spendy.  Anyway I highly recommed you use the old pants legs from some worn out jeans and make some bean bags out of them.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2012 at 06:06
@Matt

Thanks for the pics. Looks very interesting. I'll see if I can find one around here.

@Urimaginaryfrnd

Like I said, my backpack does the trick nicely. I'm just looking for a more elegant solution (I've got $80 and I need something to spend it on Big Smile)
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/30/2012 at 07:43

Sent you a PM

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic