OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hornady Superformance worries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 10:08
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

shoulder headspace in 223 varies considerably between chambers not even considering the inclusionof 5.56 nato chambers. try miking a fired and unfired from your gun and compare the specs with published data from both chambers.
forgive my ignorance, what do you mean "miking" a fired and unfired?
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 19:27
with a good micrometer measure as well as you can the base to shoulder difference just as the shoulder begins its slope, and measure again the curve just as the shoulder curves to start the neck. I'll bet the fired case has a longer measure.
hornadys comment that this happens with ar is useless as it can happen in an ar even if the round is loaded well below hot. It means that the full length resizing dies the shooter is using is resizing to min. dimensions and the chamber of the gun used is probably max.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2012 at 02:38
With the test of firing different brands of ammo in the same chamber producing both cratered and cratered primers I think a sloppy fit firing pin or weak spring can be ruled out. I don't think headspace issues are a factor either. How about the primers being softer in one brand as compared to the other?

The constant competitive goal of American manufacturing is to produce goods at the fastest rate with the least expense. Techniques such as computer aided manufacturing and investment casting are examples. My 44 year old investment cast Ruger M77 manufactured in 1968 is one example. Over 10 thousand rounds have been fired through it and 4 barrels have been fitted to it, including .22-250, 6 mm Rem, .22-250, and 6.5-.308. Other than lapping the bolt lugs one time and squaring up the receiver ring no work has been done to it. After 44 years every thing works just fine including the original firing pin spring and extractor. Ruger and other manufacturers use investment casting to produce affordable weapons. Possibly the weakest factor in the strength aspect might be considered the brass case that can be expected to fail at more than 70 psi. Possibly others might fund blowup tests with the Ruger M77 compared to the really high price actions used for bench rest competion.
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2012 at 12:16
To measure headspace variations between fired and unfired brass try the Wilson headspace gauge used with dial calipers.

I think that there is little relationship between design features and manufacturing methods such as investment casting. I keep looking but have not found any documented failures of Ruger investment cast parts. I once swapped extractors on 2 push feed M77 actions one being a .220 Swift that seemed to work better with one extractor than the other.

How about a Remington M700 with an investment cast bolt vs multi piece bolt having brazed parts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic