OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10X or 12X fixed power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10X or 12X fixed power
    Posted: September/12/2012 at 00:33
I was looking at the SWFA 10 and 12 fixed power tactical scopes (non HD versions) and I wonder which would be the better choice.

This is going to be my first tactical scope to see how I like it and the SWFA models seem better than a comparable Bushnell at the same price. I like the reticle and it has a parallax adjustment.

If anyone has any other recommendations for a tactical scope in the $300 range I would be glad to hear them.
Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 06:21
I have both 6x and 10x versions and would recommend them to anyone looking for good glass with repeatable adjustments. The 6x was my first and I bought it with target shooting and hunting in mind, and it serves very well. I bought the 10x later and cannot see any need for more magnification. Most of my shooting is done out to 500m on a silhouette range, but I have shot silhouettes at 850-1000 yards and the 6x was up to the task. Good glass makes up for less magnification.

My 6x has in excess of 155moa of adjustment. The 10x has in excess of 125moa.

I had looked at the Bushnell 10x and found the eye box very unfriendly. It is lighter and more compact, but I wouldn't buy one.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 06:43
I have both an older SS 10x, rear focus and the new SS 12x. I like them both. The 10x will give you a better field of view than the 12x, but not by much.

How far do you realistically anticipate shooting? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 09:37
The furthest will probably be 600 yards although there is a 1000 yard range available not far from where I live. The thing is I have never shot that far and im not even sure my factory Remington is up to shooting any kind of groups at that range.

Looking ahead though, I have a Bartlein barrel coming some time in October-December and when I get it put on, I also plan on getting the action on my Remington 700 blue printed (for kicks I guess). But I know I will wait a while after I get my barrel to get those things done.

I wont be shooting at anything closer than 100 yards and will only be shooting at targets so low light performance and FOV is a non issue.

This scope is an introduction for me into tactical shooting, my goal is to enter a match (for bolt guns) after ive practiced enough using the reticle and turrets.
Easy come easy go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 10:47
Well, a 12x fixed wouldn't be a bad option then. Much more than 12x and your going to fight mirage the more magnification you have. This forum usually advises folks to stay at or under 16x, in most cases.

There are a pile of people shooting 1000 yards with 10x fixed scopes. With a $300 budget, a SS 10x or 12x would be a pretty good option for the scenarios you listed, in my opinion.
I think a 16x or 20x might be a little hairy with mirage though.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 10:53
Either of the scopes will do fine for what you have listed. The first few matches I went to was with a mixed 10x, and those matches were on MOA sized targets out to 1100 yards. As far as the matches go, my suggestion would be just show up! Most of the shooters I have met have been very nice, and more than willing to help new shooters.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 20:09
I think ill go with the 12X, it couldnt hurt having a little extra magnification.
Thanks for the encouragement billy.

These may be topics for another thread but here goes anyway...

I am also looking for rings and a base since this will also be my first 30mm scope, I was thinking about the TPS TSR "W" rings and TPS bases. Im not sure if I should go with the one or two piece bases. Right now im using Talley lightweights on my Conquest 4.5-14X44; I have to bring the scope as far back as itll go to get the correct eye relief. So im thinking the one piece base might be a better option because of the adjustment I can get out of it.

What do you all think about using two piece bases; anyone have any problems with eye relief with them?
Easy come easy go

RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 01:32
Yes my little savage axis has this issue. I bought extended two piece bases and i still have the scope ring almost hitting the objective bell. Now they make a 1 piece for the axis. I would suggest it for any rifle. The rings should be aligned better too.
Old Mil ftw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 01:32
I have always preferred the strength and simplicity of a rail. TPS is good stuff. But if you are getting a TPS mounts, why would you get the "W"? Those will have round cross locks for mounting in weaver style bases. My suggestion would be for the regular TSR's. But I bet you will be pleasantly surprised on how much eye-relief the SS has.
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 06:04
I have <egads> Weaver 20moa Picatinny rails on my Remington 700s. There are other manufacturers and they vary from "0" to 40moa. The multiple cross slots allow for lots of options regarding ring placement. My preference is to keep the rings as widely spaced on the scope as possible and then moving the rings ont he bases to get proper eye relief.

For rings I prefer the Burris Signature Zee rings. These have the nylon inserts that act like pillow block bearings, and are virtually self aligning. Besides, the inserts come in various sizes so you can choose to tip the scope for more elevation adjustment. In addition the nylon inserts grip the scope tube without marking it.

FYI, medium height Burris Signature Rings combined with a SWFA 10xSS or 6xSS will not allow the scope to be removed from the rail by sliding fore/aft. Both the objective bell and eyepiece will contact the rail.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 06:09
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I have always preferred the strength and simplicity of a rail. TPS is good stuff. But if you are getting a TPS mounts, why would you get the "W"? Those will have round cross locks for mounting in weaver style bases. My suggestion would be for the regular TSR's. But I bet you will be pleasantly surprised on how much eye-relief the SS has.

My thoughts exactly. 

You can save a few $$$'s by getting a EGW rail and go with the TPS TSR rings, as Bill suggested. This will make a really solid ring/base foundation for your new stick.

The next question will be whether or not you want a 20 MOA rail or a 0. I'd go with a 20 MOA rail, personally.
The SS has enough "up" to get to 1000 plus yards, no question. But, if you decide to switch to another scope at some point in time that may not have the adjustment of the SS, you already have 20 MOA of "up" built in your rail. 
Sort of a "better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it" deal. 
You loose nothing, save the fact that it will raise the eye piece ever so slightly, due to the base being thicker in the rear.
Easily rectified by using an Eagle Stock Pack, which every self respecting shooter should have on his rifle any way. Wink     
Boxerglocker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxerglocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 15:13
I am far from the most experienced member here but have gone through the exact deliberation. I went with all the above recommendations for my first build a R700 SPS TAC in .223
TPS “TSR” rings with their 0 MOA base and a SWFA SS 10x42. I would knowing what I know now have gone with a 20 MOA base just because of the reasons stated above and if it had been available more than likely gotten a 12X rather than the 10X.However the magnification issue is of no matter to me at this point as I graduated to a NF 8-32x56mm with a NPR2 reticle.

Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 17:10
Thanks for the suggestions, I think i'll go with TPS TSR rings and EGW 20MOA one piece base as Bill and Cheaptrick suggested.

I have a question about the parallax adjustment on the scope: Does it adjust like a side focus or like one on the objective bell? In other words, will I have have to go up to infinity and then back down again to adjust the parallax?
Easy come easy go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 17:31
I am not sure what you are asking Gil? If it is if there is back'lash in the knob, where was not any in my rear-focus 10x.
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 18:34
Ill explain a little better:

On a sidefocus you must dial the parallax setting up to infinity and then go down from there to properly set the parallax. You are only supposed to go from high to low.
On an AO it is not necessary to dial up to infinity every time you want to move the setting down in yardage; it can be moved freely +/-. (correct me if im wrong)

The SWFA uses a rear parallax adjustment, so does it adjust like a sidefocus or an AO?

What do you mean by backlash?

I hope thats a little clearer and if what im is completely wrong please let me know.
Easy come easy go

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 18:43
I have never had those problems on either my rear focus 10x or my 5-20 SS side focus...Just sayin'
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 18:54
I guess I shouldnt believe everything I read.

Actually I got the information from the "What is parallax anyway" topic up in the FAQs. This is written by Chris Farris
With front objective adjustments, you can turn them either way without worry... BUT with side adjustment scopes, like the MK4-M3, the M3-LR, or the other LR family of scopes, the adjustment must ALWAYS be made from the infinity end of the dial. Turn the adjustment all the way until it stops (past infinity), and then start turning it in a little at a time, until there is no parallax. If you "overshoot" the proper setting, you can't just turn back a little, you must go back to stop at the end of the dial, and start over again.

Edited by Gil P. - September/13/2012 at 19:14
Easy come easy go

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 19:32
Gil, SWFA SS sells a side focus[parralex] for another $100 on the 10x,just a thought!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 19:43
I'd get the rear focus. Less problems, or so it seems during my tenure here. 
Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 19:47
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Gil, SWFA SS sells a side focus[parralex] for another $100 on the 10x,just a thought!

I own a side focus and I find them kind of annoying what with them being on the left side and all. I think I would like the rear focus a whole lot better! Seems more "ergonomic".
Easy come easy go

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic