OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lever Action Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lever Action Rifle
    Posted: October/16/2012 at 14:59
Looking to buy my first lever action rifle in 30-30 and looking for recommendations.

Thanks,

Eagle
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 15:04
I like the Marlin lever actions, they're relatively inexpensive and reliable.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 15:22
I was playing around with a Marlin 336 (I think) at Academy and like the side ejection but I wasn't sure about accuracy.

Love the feel of the levergun for sure.

Eagle
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 15:24
Ditto.  Just missed a steal on one through SWFA's gunbroker.  Marlin 336 went for a bit over $330 i think.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 16:48
I been eye balling Henry lever action rifles, as of late. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 17:49
+1 for the marlin 336.  In 35+ years of using them I have yet to have one come anywhere near 
having a problem of any kind! As far as accuracy, I never had one that was a 1/2" gun, but I've never had one that wasn't Minute of vitals either.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 17:52
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Me too CT!! .... unfortunately, Elaina say's if I buy it right now, I may well be it's first target!!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 17:54
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Me too CT!! .... unfortunately, Elaina say's if I buy it right now, I may well be it's first target!!

Hahaha....I feel ya. 

They are pricey. I can walk into most any pawn shop around here and trip over a 30/30 lever gun, so I might just see what I can find. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 18:12
I sometimes wish I was born right in that time of the lever action when they first came on the scene.

Imagine being the lonegun man like the westerns.

Delivering justice of course.

(I would have named her "Justice")

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/16/2012 at 18:57
No one
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 18:29
For what it is worth, if you are looking for a Marlin levergun, consider getting a used one.  A little while back Remington bought Marlin and moved their manufacturing to Remington's Ilion plant.  I have had a chance to see and play with several of the new leverguns made in Ilion and their craftsmanship can't hold a candle to the ones Marlin made in New Haven before they were purchased.

The new ones seem to be mostly made of sharp edges and rough spots.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 20:01
I prefer some of the other cartridges to the 30-30.  The 45-70  and 44 mag being my favorite.  I have always liked the look of the top eject Winchesters better but the nice thing about the Marlin is it comes drilled and tapped for a scope. Given a choice between 30-30 and 45-70 there is no comparison. I almost bought a 38-55 Winchester a couple years back and hesitated because I couldnt find ammo still regret not buying it. There are some in .357mag  out there also which would be a fun choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 20:23
Has anyone looked at the Rossi lever guns? They are cheap, but the one I shot wasn't near as bad handling as I thought they would be, shot off hand at 100 really well.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 20:29

Bucky

I like the old Winchesters, too, ( the pre-64s ) but they are strictly 'iron-sighters'....

An ancient Savage 99 would be fun!  

Visit the Ed Show
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 20:46
I have a marlin .357 and a marlin45-70. I really like both of them. The .357 is probably my most favorite rifle. My first .357 had issues with the action. It froze up and would not cycle. But the gun shop just swapped me for a new one. It has been flawless
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 00:24
Marlin has proven to be the more accurate of any of the 30-30 levers. The introduction of the LEVERevolution ammunition has rewritten the book on what a 30-30 will accomplish.
Winchester 94 Has the most nostalgia of any lever rifle ever produced.
Winchester 1895 Most powerful lever gun utilizing a box magazine for more advanced ammunition Capable of taking any game on earth.
Henry Has the smoothest action of any lever gun, even the Browning who designed the Winchesters.
Savage 99 Probably the most advanced and innovative designed lever gun. Box magazine. Strong enough to handle most of the modern cartridges in its day. Also very accurate. Found a place in the varmint world with the 250-3000. The only one I have not owned.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 07:32
I put a vortex diamondback on a marlin 336 3 weekends ago for my 1st cousin.  After a good cleaning because it had never been done before I put 3 factory rounds touching at 100yds with it.  He had never seen that gun shoot that well before.  I proceeded to put three downrange at about 1.5"  This gun was made in the late 70's i think.  I believe he still has the target I shot and will see if he can take a picture and send it to me.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 13:28
All this is making me want another lever action 45-70.Smoking Bandit

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 14:14
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

All this is making me want another lever action 45-70.Smoking Bandit
1886 Winchester/Browning? Rifle or Carbine?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2012 at 19:25
Wes,

The 45-70 (300-500 gr) would lay a smackdown on anything in the USA but, not sure it would be a good saddle rifle for smaller varmints.    

Guys,

Leaning towards a SS model for every day carry, what you think?

Eagle
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2012 at 00:05
I bought a used 336 in 30/30 about fifteen years ago. It was quite clen and came w/ a cheap Simmons (promptly ditched) for $2 bills.
The gun functioned fine , but the trigger was heavy and creepy. Telling a friend a retired gunsmith)  about the gun and complaining about the trigger  he suggested I bring it over some night, he would like to see it. So I popped over one night , he snapped it a couple times , and asked if I would mind if he took a closer look. We chatted for a couple hours while he  plied files and stone, slapped it back together, and just smirked when my eyeballs popped when I pulled the trigger.
It will put it's 170 grain pill anywhere you want it out to a hundred yds., probably farther, but I've only fired it out to 100 yds. It's fitted w/ a 2.5X Bushnell.
My old timer hunting partner has borrowed it on occasion and killed deer w/ it, he says it's a" lucky gun",,,that from a guy who has hunted Alaska , Africa and a bunch of places that are probably closed to travel these days. Actually, they were probably closed to travel when he was there,(retired weapons system engineer).
The last five seasons or so I've been using that Marlin while my Savage99 & assorted bolts 'stand and wait'.
 It is the terror of the thickets!    
I wouldn't mind getting my mitts on a 45/70 Marlin, pre-safety (hate that cross bolt). But I digress Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic