OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris XTR Rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hondo64d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris XTR Rings
    Posted: October/29/2012 at 12:29
Thought I'd throw a few observation based on my first pair of Burris XTR rings.  I mounted the 1" XTR Low rings on a Stiller Predator using a 20 MOA Stiller Piccatiny Rail.  When I put my alignment rods in the rings they were virtually point to point with no need for lapping.  I have never observed this with any ring before.  This tells me two things:  The Stiller rail is very straight.  Indeed, the machining is done so well, it looks like the rail and the action are one piece.  The Burris XTR rings are also machined to a very tight tolerance.  I think they are a heck of a great quality product for the price.

John
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 13:49
I have used them and while they are okay I would not recommend them for a precision rifle.  They are cheap pot metal.  For virtually the same price you could've got TPS rings which are much much better.

$1000 for a Stiller action and rail and $60 rings just don't seem right to me. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 14:26
I've used those rings too.  I've even utilized them with 1" reducers too.  I've had few issues with them but a couple screws in them have stripped and one hole stripped out and had to be tapped out and a bigger screw used in that one hole. They work "ok" but at the same time I have to agree with ST here.  If i had that kinda money in an action and rail I'd sure as heck put on some equal quality rings. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 14:32
Not to disparage, but concur. TPS rings would have been a much better option. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Hondo64d View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hondo64d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 21:07
Sorry guys, I just mounted another scope in another pair of XTRs today, and my observations were the same as with the first pair.  Again, in combination with a Stiller 20 MOA picatinny rail (same rifle). It's probably just as much a function of Stiller's QC as Burris', but when I put my alignment rods in the rings, they were absolutely perfectly point to point with no lapping required. These are the only rings I have ever experienced this with, and I have used quite a few different types over the years.

I haven't used TPSs, and I am sure they are a quality item, but based on my experience with the XTRs so far, I can't see changing.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic