OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Reasonably Good binocs without a Zeiss price tag
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reasonably Good binocs without a Zeiss price tag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foureyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reasonably Good binocs without a Zeiss price tag
    Posted: November/03/2012 at 22:14
I don't want to be too wordy here, so I will cut to the chase.  I am trying to identify a pair of binoculars that I can buy and not spend "Zeiss Money", if you get my drift.  At present, I am comparing the Alpen and Zhumell brands. I have read reviews of both and they apparently rate favorably among those who own them.  Both companies have glasses that fit my criterion and budget. I want 8 X 42 glasses that are water and fog proof, gas filled, that have fully multi-coated optics, have a roof prism (BAK4).  I use them primarily in full daylight, but occasionally use them in reduced light situations (shade or late afternoon/early evening) but rarely at twilight or dusk.  Size and weight are not particularly critical to me, but I don't want to have to use a floor jack to lift them.  My budget has a top line of $150.00.  Is there anyone there who would be willing to provide me with an opinion as to the relative quality of the two brands?  I am suffering from "analysis paralysis".  I have spent too much time analyzing and need to make a decision soon.  I would greatly appreciate any help you could provide.   Loco
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2012 at 22:55
You might want to add these to your list.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 08:37
Originally posted by Foureyes Foureyes wrote:

My budget has a top line of $150.00.    

Nikon would be a better choice than Zhumell.

Stan
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 14:44
.....and add the Sightron Blue Sky SII in addition to the SIIIs.
You can find them some places at that price point though they are typically about $20 higher.

Another to consider would be the Zen Ray Vista at around $130.
Frank
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 09:42
For your price point, porro prism binos will likely be a better overall instrument.
These Pentax porros are highly regarded, but $10 more than you want to spend.
Mine have been through some tough tests in the field and remain unfazed, still providing very good views. I've used them for hours at a time w/out eyestrain.

http://swfa.com/Pentax-8x40-PCF-WP-II-Binocular-P47959.aspx

I realize this Pentax doesn't meet your criteria in 2 regards, but thought you might like a bit different perspective.

Ps These are waaay better than the Nikons mentioned previously.

Edited by Alan Robertson - November/05/2012 at 09:48
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 10:08

Sightron 8x42 SIII Binocular
•Rubber Armored
•Waterproof
•Was $311.95 Now $149.95

Sightron 10x42 SIII Binocular
•Rubber Armored
•Waterproof
•Was $342.95 Now $179.95

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 12:26
S IIIs win by a mile!
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 09:58
I would jump on those SIIIs, Foureyes.
-Matt
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 12:09
I have never had any good luck with Zhumell. If fact, one customer had me throw one away for him, although he walked past the dumpster on the way to his car.

Alpen was started by a couple of Bushnell ex-patriots who reasoned, "We can import this stuff, too, and not deal with your rat race while doing it." They import some marginal binos. BUT, at the right price point, you can get 97% Zeiss quality—although not the Zeiss guarantee—for about 1/3rd the cost.

In Gainesville, waterproof/fogproof integrity is going to be more important to you than most. Zip lock bags with silica pouches or tab are also a goo way to store.
“Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink.” — Samuel Taylor Coleridge
“Social media everywhere but not a thought to think.” — me

gunut View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 16:21
The Minox entry level bf 8x42 was on sale for 120 or something like that...but I cant remember where....
gunut
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 16:33
You guys realize this thread is almost 4 years old, right?
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 16:57
Time in a bottle! 🍸😎👍
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 17:39
"It is the same when you are stupid."

Or, perhaps, when you are new to the forum. And while I will be labeled as an optics grasshopper, I am pleased to say I earned my living by being an optics grasshopper . . . for 45 years.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 17:43
WHOA, WHAT BROUGHT THAT ON?

DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 17:43
Welcome to the forum, WJC.  No offense intended, certainly.  You will find that there are a lot of very knowledgeable optics gurus on here (of whom I do not count myself).  Either way, there's a lot of good natured ribbing on here as well. Your 45 years of knowledge will be welcome, I am sure.  Again, welcome to the OT.

Deck

EDIT:  Skip, I read that as him being self-deprecating, but I've been wrong before.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 17:46
IN CASE YOU DONT UNDERSTAND I WAS REPLYING TO MY FRIEND DCAMM'S POST.

I'm sorry if that offended you.

WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 18:01
You will need more Wheaties to offend me . . . I've raised 3 kids to adulthood. I was just doing a reality check. Although I registered a few years ago, I haven't been using the sight. So, I'm not familiar with its ins and outs.

Can anyone tell me how to edit or delete posts; I've had a stroke, and my fingers don't always obey my commands.

Finally, I would not dare deprecate on this forum . . . I'm a guest.

Cheers,

Bill

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 19:08
Bill, you are a member, welcome.

WJC View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 19:20
Thank you, sir! I see you are a whitetail hunter. Have you read any of my stuff in Deer & Deer Hunting?

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2016 at 19:36
Originally posted by WJC WJC wrote:

Thank you, sir! I see you are a whitetail hunter. Have you read any of my stuff in Deer & Deer Hunting?

Tell me where to go😎. You could tell me that also.

yes im a hunter and not a shooter like most of my cronies here.

you will find more honest info here than you can imagine.
please dont be afraid to ask them about anything, they will not let you down.

Ok, send me there.🍸

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic