OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX6 or Swarovski Z3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX6 or Swarovski Z3
    Posted: November/07/2012 at 23:52
Looking for a scope with  at least 12x and a ballistic reticle, the X6 also has cds with the boone&crocket reticle.

The Zeiss Z reticles will not work with my caliber/load  (7RUM, 150g scirocco& 3350 fps).

The Z3 on12x will get me out past 600 yards on the reticle no problem.

Rifle is a very accurate Remington sendero.

Is the Z3 a tough enough scope?

The VX6 is listing improved optics and duel bias springs over the VX3 series.

Both scopes are about the same price.
timberbuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 23:53
Forgot to add that I prefer the ballistic reticles over turrets and have had good luck/like my Zeiss Z800 on my other gun.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 07:20
I like swaro better than the vx6.  But thats me.  Certain things on the vx 6 are not my favorite.  the glass is good, mag range is good but there are still a few things to it that don't make me think its the best.  The swaro is proven and will hold up fine.  The glass will be a hair better IMO but thats just to some. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 08:06
I have the 4-12 Z3 BRH and it is an excellent scope.  It has withstood hundreds of rounds of 300 RUM and 7RM, been to Alaska and back, and travelled hundreds of trail miles in scabbard and backpack across Montana.  It has never lost zero or failed in any way.

I prefer the BRH to the Rapid Z reticles, but I do think if you wanted Zeiss, the Z800 should work with your load, if you use their calculator and find the right magnification setting.

-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 09:50
The Z800 won't work, the ultra with the 150 is too fast for it, it will work with 175's.

Have you had any problems seeing the BRH in low light?

Thanks
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 10:30
I have not had any trouble in low light with the reticle at all. It works very well for me. My old Z600 had a bolder reticle, however.

I am not trying to argue about the z800, and now that I ran your numbers, I understand the calculator tells you it is too fast. I think the BRH is a great match for your rifle, and like I said, I do like it better. I just don't want you to discount the Zeiss because the subtensions won't line up perfectly. The reticle would still work, it would just go like this (with a 200 zero at 3000 feet):

Bar 3   ----   309 yards
Bar 4   ----   421 yards
Bar 5   ----   531 yards
Bar 6   ----   642 yards
Bar 7   ----   755 yards
Bar 8   ----   868 yards

That isn't too bad really, if you keep in mind the variation.

In any case, the MIL-based subtensions of the BRH are easy to calculate for any load. I have also been using the BRH windage bars for shooting at rocks and they are pretty reliable with 5 and 10 mph full value cross winds with my 7RM 160 accubond loads.
-Matt
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2012 at 15:19
I agree on the BRH or mil based reticles.
I don't like "ballistic" reticles
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timberbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2012 at 00:41
Thanks for the info

Bitterroot-how did you come up with those numbers on the Z800 with my load? What magnification?

I run mine for 6000 and 9000 feet elevations on my other gun

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic