OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

z3 42mm or 50mm?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z3 42mm or 50mm?
    Posted: November/08/2012 at 18:00
if buying one of these..which is the one to get?   the 50mm is a little over a hundred bucks more....but i kind of prefer the smaller objective...going on a Remington .270.........but with the 50mm u get a little more zoom....ahh decisions decisions
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 07:38
I have two of the 42mm Z3's. They are more than adequate. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 09:12
Assuming same glass/coatings, the 50mm will get you maybe 5 more minutes useable shooting time at max power.. don't expect 15..  
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

JAG980 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAG980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 10:48
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

Assuming same glass/coatings, the 50mm will get you maybe 5 more minutes useable shooting time at max power.. don't expect 15..  

If what you say is correct ...  This is a very good thing to know. I have spent a lot of time wondering why certain companies like Sightron seem to use a 42mm Obj as the main stay of their scope line up.

If we are only talking a 5 minute difference, I do not see the larger objective scope's weight and size to be worth it.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 10:52
It also depends upon your shooting requirements.  Is low light to you the typical big game legal shooting hours of 30 min before light/30 min after sunset? Or are you a hog or varmint hunter who hunts in very low light or even at night?

If it is the first, virtually any decent quality scope will work for that.  The more expensive ones will for sure be nicer to use.  If you hunt very low light a lot then I would get a high quality scope with a larger objective.  As that little bit better in those parts of the scope can only help. 

I prefer 40mm ish objectives because they are smaller and I can get them lower which I prefer because I can get a better cheek weld.  But if I had a specialized low light hunting rifle, it would probably be different to meet those needs. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 11:27
The benefit of the 50mm is it allows for a little more magnification, but still with a decent exit pupil.  If you want the 12, get the 50.  It is actually really sleek and fairly compact for a 50mm obj. scope.
-Matt
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2012 at 17:18
You are right
It is at max lower
I hunted with a Ziess FL 4-16x50 last season and it was a fantastic scope
But, right at that last possible shooting light if a buck stepped out at 350 yards I would have to back the scope from max down to about 12.

I will be running a Kahles 3-12x56 the next 2 weekends
It is a fairly svelte scope for having a 56mm objective.
Outstanding glass of course.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic